1 ... 529 530 531 532 533 ... 2011
dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/16/16 10:05 p.m.

Pretty sure i tore/sprained the MCL in my good knee last night helping my dad move. Now i just hope the swelling goes back down enough to work tomorrow and it isnt as bad as my right knee! Guess if it doesnt improve ill be missing atleast 2 days of work.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/16/16 10:54 p.m.

Boss called to tell me about a "call in" where I would have gone to work for 15 minutes and gotten paid two hours of OT.

But my phone was on vibrate and in the other room while I watched a dull family movie with the kids. That would have been nice.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
9/17/16 12:57 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to jimbob_racing: I see a lot less stupid stuff when I'm driving the P71. People will even vacate the left lane when I come up behind them. It's kind of nice.

Not so great on 2-lane roads where they drop to exactly the speed limit if not 5 under. But on highways, keep your headlights on and the left lane parts like the Red Sea...

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/17/16 2:24 a.m.

The possibility of finishing up my ElEd cert in town is the only reason I haven't either offed myself or moved the berkeley out of this berkeleying berg.
berkeley school for being so expensive, especially since teaching pays so goddamn poorly.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/16 4:24 p.m.

I hate following people from Florida. I can rest completely assured that they will do exactly the speed limit (or slightly under) NEVER use their turnsignal, and if they do turn, will slow down half a block before the turn and almost come to a complete halt before making it.

I can only guess that turnsignal lamps never burn out in florida, but the brake places make a fortune

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/17/16 9:22 p.m.

Why the berkeley does a Pontiac Vibe even have the option to equip a 6-speed?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/16 9:52 p.m.

Because the Toyota Matrix had it as an option as well?

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
9/18/16 1:59 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: Why the berkeley does a Pontiac Vibe even have the option to equip a 6-speed?

Because six is better than five, duh!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/16 7:56 a.m.

Searching for Volvo hamonic damper: Zero new hits, four used.

Grit teeth, will my fingers to search for Volvo harmonic balancer: Hundreds of hits, all new.

IT IS NOT A BALANCER. IT BALANCES NOTHING. IT IS A HARMONIC DAMPER. ITS JOB IS TO DAMP ROTATIONAL HARMONICS IN THE CRANK.

Interestingly, the actual part I need crosses over to all whiteblock engines, no matter if four, five, or six cylinder, when searching the Volvo part number. Summit only lists applications for the five.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
9/18/16 9:32 a.m.

Dammit, I should have not listened to you. You went back to work. Fine. You wanted to make money again for the family after being out of work to be stay at home Mom. Fine. You wanted me to take care of the little kids after school until bedtime six days a week. Fine. You complained that my "junky" cars was going to hurt your job and that you needed a new car. Fine. You wanted a car payment so that you can rebuild your credit and swearing up/down that your quota was an easy goal to make. Fine. Month is over and You MISSED your quota for your first month on the job and cannot make your car 1st car payment in 2 weeks because you will not get paid for the month. NOT FINE. You should have driven one of my "junky" cars until you got established in your new job before taking on a car payment. Not to mention, blowing nearly $65 a week on morning Starbucks coffee and eating out for lunch daily. That alone right there is almost your car payment.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/18/16 10:45 a.m.

How the berkeley do you hotlink pics from Google using a phone? Frustrated as E36 M3 right now.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/18/16 10:51 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Searching for Volvo hamonic damper: Zero new hits, four used. Grit teeth, will my fingers to search for Volvo harmonic balancer: Hundreds of hits, all new. IT IS NOT A BALANCER. IT BALANCES NOTHING. IT IS A HARMONIC DAMPER. ITS JOB IS TO DAMP ROTATIONAL HARMONICS IN THE CRANK. Interestingly, the actual part I need crosses over to all whiteblock engines, no matter if four, five, or six cylinder, when searching the Volvo part number. Summit only lists applications for the five.

Yeah, yeah, and its an anti roll bar, not a sway bar. Who was it here that bitched that a manual shift transmission shouldn't be called a standard, because manuals are special order now?

Knurled
9/18/16 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

I call them stabilizer bars

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/18/16 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

By the way, as to your original problem, the balancers (See what I did there?) on Volvo white blocks very seldom fail, so I would trust a used one way before I'd use an aftermarket one.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/16 12:23 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: How the berkeley do you hotlink pics from Google using a phone? Frustrated as E36 M3 right now.

No idea. They're trying to stop hot linking. You can do it from the desktop site, but not mobile that I can find :/

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/18/16 12:27 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
Appleseed wrote: How the berkeley do you hotlink pics from Google using a phone? Frustrated as E36 M3 right now.
No idea. They're trying to stop hot linking. You can do it from the desktop site, but not mobile that I can find :/

Install firefox for android. Select view desktop site in the option menu. Long press, view image, copy image address, paste.

Knurled
9/18/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Well, maybe, but mine's wobbling and they are wear items. They fail all the time in other applications. Not sure I could trust a used one, especially on a long stroke four-cylinder that spends too much time running 2-8 pounds of boost at 2500rpm cruising down the highway.

I'm thinkin' that is probably why this one is failing. At any rate, people are asking for used almost what new call for. At least new comes with some modicum of a warranty.

New rant: Updated TunerStudio/MegaLogViewer. MLV is still utterly broken, does not work with 12x12 VE tables at all. Just throws up. And TS deleted my dashboard layout and now there is only ONE. For someone whose main selling point for his software seems to be how good the graphics are, he sure did choose an awfully illegible graphics.

I think I duplicated my layout on another laptop, I may be able to salvage that. But the way MLV still doesn't work is very irksome.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/18/16 4:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to Streetwiseguy: Well, maybe, but mine's wobbling and they are wear items. They fail all the time in other applications. Not sure I could trust a used one, especially on a long stroke four-cylinder that spends too much time running 2-8 pounds of boost at 2500rpm cruising down the highway. I'm thinkin' that is probably why this one is failing. At any rate, people are asking for used almost what new call for. At least new comes with some modicum of a warranty.

You had mentioned white block, then you said 4 cylinder. So, this is an S40? If not, and its a red block B230, those dampers are junk. New all the way on a red block.

I'd still trust a used OE Volvo damper over a new Chinese one on a white block.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/16 8:51 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Yeah, yeah, and its an anti roll bar, not a sway bar.

If I have anti roll bars why do I need a roll bar?

wae
wae Dork
9/18/16 9:00 p.m.

Kid sports.

I found out today that one kid is going to have a soccer tournament this coming Saturday and Sunday. About 45 miles north of here, with one game at 0900 and another at 1300 on Saturday, and then Sunday at 0800 and 1445. And, of course, they have to be there 30 minutes before the game. And one of the other kids has a regularly scheduled game on Saturday at 1400, fairly close to our house. And my wife has decided to enter the costume contest at the Cincinnati Comic Expo that day and will be gone. Insanity.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
9/18/16 10:20 p.m.

Pretty sure I need a Tetanus shot, just dug something nasty out of my foot and it is magnetic.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/16 9:15 a.m.

Happened to be in the vicinity of the Farmer's Market over the weekend and stopped in to try and find a few basil plants (our last one died when we were on vacation from not being watered by the house sitter- thankfully our pets fared far better...). No luck (I was there well after they opened so I'd not be surprised if some places had left already), but did find a booth from the local tea company that makes a blueberry-flavored tea that I absolutely love- so I bought a bag of it, thinking it was the same as I'd gotten from them before- chopped fairly fine, but still loose. Nope- went to make some this morning, and it's in bags made to be used to make like 4 quarts of iced tea and not just the single cups I make in the morning. Yeah, I quickly 'hacked' my way around it (literally, by cutting open the tea bag), but it still annoyed me.

Yes, this is a very, very minor rant... but I'm fuming and can't (or rather won't...) rant about what is really bugging me, so at least it helps in venting a bit...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/19/16 9:32 a.m.

Was organizing my tools over the past weekend/week or so. These tools were put together over the years, found, bought at estate sales, etc.

Why do I have about 72 flathead screwdrivers and only 8 Philips heads? I need about 3 flatheads. Why in the world do I have so many of them?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/16 10:32 a.m.
Wall-e wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: Yeah, yeah, and its an anti roll bar, not a sway bar.
If I have anti roll bars why do I need a roll bar?

If you have anti-roll bars and roll bars.. do you have any roll at all?

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/16 10:50 a.m.

Several times over the last week or so I've gotten a call from a number here in-state but someplace I've never heard of- so I've followed my standard policy for calls like this: let it go to voicemail and if it's something important and not an auto-dialed call from a marketer, they'll leave a message.

Got a call from said number a short while ago, and decided to answer it- turns out it was from the collections company for the last bill I have from my Achilles' tendon injury: the ridiculously high ER doctor bill that I'd tried and failed to get in touch with a person to contest the amount of the bill. The contract doctor company had sent it to a collections company and they were calling to collect it.

The call didn't start off well at all since the woman has a RIDICULOUSLY thick accent that I could barely understand what she was saying, and started off asking me to confirm my birth date for their records (she identified where she was calling from, but I didn't recognize the company nor did she say what it was about) and I said no, I had no idea who she was or what she was calling about so I wasn't about to give out my birth date. Eventually she gave me the day and month and just needed me to confirm the year, which I figured was at least somewhat legit.

Unfortunately trying to get across my assertion that the bill was unreasonably high and I wanted to contest the amount was not easy (though the number was local I'm not certain it wasn't just routed locally and was originating from another country). Eventually I think she decided that I thought there had been a problem with the billing and my insurance so took down the insurance info to re-submit the charge- which while not quite what I had in mind, does give it the chance to get knocked down by my insurance and possibly (if they submit it properly so that it gets converted to in-network) eliminated completely since we've hit our out-of-pocket max.

I've at a few points considered just paying the bill and being done with it. We have the money for it at the moment, but it's solidly a principle thing at this point- the medical billing system is completely berkeleyed up and unreasonable and I don't think paying the ER doctor who spent no more than 15 minutes on me and didn't have to do anything particularly special or time-consuming. If the company hadn't told my insurance to berkeley off and not accepted the insurance's accepted rate for the services performed, I'd probably have paid it since it would have been knocked down to a reasonable amount (accounting for the fact that I know people who can actually pay help subsidize those who can't).

1 ... 529 530 531 532 533 ... 2011

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gb8yXNAfpQ3rbljJ3lVxyh14S4gCu1XOzdxvbyMPTn9sufrSmc4SQUTkRRh0wOJJ