1 ... 535 536 537 538 539 ... 2012
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/16 8:33 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: I figured I would dig out my long sleeve shirts and sweater nex week over my vacation. Of course today is cold, rainy, and windy as hell. I guess I know what I'm doing when I get home.

I am in the middle of my vacation.. I have yet to see the sun since it started. Today I am driving down to St. Michaels Md for the small boat festival.. last year it was cancelled due to the hurricane, this year is not looking all that much better

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/16 8:46 a.m.

Woke up this morning feeling drained and wholly unenthusiastic about coming in to work- should have gone with my instinct to call in sick and sleep more.

Almost got in an accident a few blocks from work when a pickup truck at a cross-street with a stop sign wasn't paying attention and didn't see me on my bike coming down the street without a stop sign. Thankfully I ride at least somewhat defensively and was able to swerve and stop short of putting my helmet through his passenger-side window, but still was not a good start to the day.

Once at work, I'm spending most of my time working at my second desk on another floor- so I made my breakfast (bacon & eggs) in the break room on the other floor, and the microwaves there are apparently a good bit more powerful than the ones in the usual break room I use because they burned my bacon almost to the point of being inedible (almost).

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/16 9:20 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I'm on vacation next week. I'm hoping it stays dry enough to do about 50 things that I need to do outside.

NickD
NickD Dork
9/30/16 4:31 p.m.

Broke the screen on my work-provided laptop that I have to pay for. Berkeley

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/30/16 6:01 p.m.

Hey dealerships on CL, flappy paddles and other manumatic devices are not manual transmissions.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/16 7:31 p.m.

Took the miata for it's annual inspection today. Noticed, an hour after I left the shop, I only had a new emissions sticker, not safety, so I went back. "It's my lunch break, and we got appointments all day" Yes I know, it's my fault for forgetting about it until the end of the month. I can give you dated receipts showing the tires and brakes have 1000 miles on them, all the glass is there, obviously the lights work, give me my sticker dammit. 4 shops, that had OPEN BAYS wouldn't take 10 minutes just to do the safety inspection, now I have to get up early on Monday, and go get it proved that in the 2500 miles since last year, new tires brakes and body work have been done. I think my favorite excuse was from Jiffy Lube, of all places, who had 3 empty bays. "you're car is too low to get onto our lift". Mind you, the ONLY reason I stepped foot inside was for visual inspection. 5 minutes with a floor jack in the parking lot and we're done.

At least my emissions days are done with that car.

The Vic still needs inspected too, but should pass with flying colors when I finish running the wire for the horn.

mad_machine
9/30/16 8:54 p.m.

if you lived in NJ.. all they worry about is the check engine light. If it passes the OBD2 port test.. you are good to go. Not even safety inspections unless it is something really obvious

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 3:25 a.m.

That seems assinine that they don't do safety and emissions in one inspection.

mad_machine
10/1/16 7:47 a.m.

So, I am down here in St. Michaels Md for the Mid-Atlantic Small boats festival.. I found it odd that every hotel was booked for months ahead of time.. but at least I still got a decent place at a decent price.. until I got here and was asked by the front desk guy if I was here for the Ironman competition.

Nearby Cambridge is hosting an Ironman competition.. I did not give it too much thought until 4am this morning when the hotel came alive with athletes getting up and getting ready to sign in and attend. The door to the building (right below my room) was opening and slamming for an hour as I tried to get sleep. I can only hope tomorrow morning is better

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/1/16 11:41 a.m.

Just out of curiosity, why can't shop-vac build a unit that stays together when you pick it up by the handle? Every single berkeleying on I've ever touched separates, dropping the lower half with a crash, usually at an awkward time (stairs, over a pet, etc). Is it just me? Is a latch that actually works really that hard to engineer?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/1/16 1:07 p.m.

I'm too old for this E36 M3.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/1/16 2:42 p.m.

And the brakes are now worse than what I started with. berkeley.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 3:09 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: And the brakes are now worse than what I started with. berkeley.

I HATE it when I fix things until they stop working.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/1/16 5:17 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: And the brakes are now worse than what I started with. berkeley.

Rear drums?

I hate drum brakes.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/1/16 7:30 p.m.

4 wheel disc brakes. Calipers, flex lines, pads, rotors. Shouldn't be this damn hard.

New rant, as I said berkeley the brakes for the night.

A big company is trying to recruit me. I have spent the last hour and a half trying to get into their system to put my resume in. On a laptop, desktop, and tablet. The system will not let me register to save my life. No matt what I do. Not by LinkedIn, not by manual registration, not even through the back door of the provider system. And they wanted me to have my resume in by Monday morning. berkeleying computers....

berkeley it. I'm going to go read the destroyermen series.

mad_machine
10/1/16 10:24 p.m.

I come down to Maryland about every six months to do some kayaking and sailing, I love the Chesapeake and the people. Tomorrow I get to go back to NJ where I don't love the people so much...

Burrito
Burrito Dork
10/1/16 10:35 p.m.
Burrito wrote: So, my Scirocco is tentatively sold (not the rant), and it goes to it's new home Sunday morning (pushed back from Friday, my fault). It's a good deal, both the buyer and I feel like the agreement is fair. I got what I wanted out of it, which is enough to replace it with something interesting, and I get to keep my Revolution RFX wheels (Very pleased about this part, still not the rant). Got someone on the line for our E46 Wagon. Should have no problem getting $800-1000 out of Sophie the World's Most Typical Subaru Wagon (but I haven't listed it yet because lazy). I am literally selling every car we have that isn't a Fiat... Yet, every time my wife sees me looking at craigslist she rolls her eyes and asks me what the berkeley I think I'm doing. I don't think she has yet to realize that 2 people can't commute to different sides of town in the same 1974 Fiat 128. Moral of the story is that she leaves for San Antonio for a week next Wednesday and I'm dragging home another E21, unless a nice X1/9 comes up between now and then.

BMW is gone. Subaru is gone. Scirocco leaves around noon tomorrow. We will officially be relying on a 42 year old Fiat as of tomorrow.

That's terrifying, frankly.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/1/16 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Burrito:

It should be terrifying, owning only old Fiats is essentially equivalent to not having a car unless you have like 10 of them and a AAA gold card.

mad_machine
10/2/16 3:43 a.m.

you think so? I successfully commuted back and forth to college in a 1976 spider back in the 1990s. The only thing that required more than a couple hours of downtime to fix was the transmission losing 2nd. Even skipping a couple of teeth on the belt (in freakish -0 degree weather) only resulted in a 1 day long repair fest. These cars may break more often than others, but they are easily repaired too

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/16 10:27 a.m.

Been a while since I've been on the rant thread. I've been avoiding it. Anyway, two for today.

1. I've been avoiding getting tires for my TDI since it will be going back to VW soon. I found cord on a tire Thursday. With the imminent rain in the forecast and the fact I wouldn't be able to get to my winter tires for a while (stored about an hour away), I had to get tires. Got the cheapest Sumitomos (good TireRack ratings at least) from the local tire shop and called it a day. I really didn't want to spend that money, but they price matched TireRack and got it done in an hour for me, and I had a $30 Amex special for buying tires at that shop. Out the door for $375.

2. Last night on the way home from a great dinner with friends, I nailed a pothole, that I knew about but forgot. Bent the RF wheel inside and outside. Tire seems fine with no buldges but it'll cost $20 to get mountd and balanced, and if they find something inside... The wheels are Sport Editions from TireRack for about $125 each. That is probably what it would cost to get it straightened. So I pushed the easy button and just ordered another new tire and wheel pre-mounted and balanced from TireRack for $220 shipped. ARGGGHHH!!!

This has already been an expensive month after getting the floors done in our condo to sell and putting a deposit down on a temporary apartment. Please no more expenses this month....

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
10/2/16 6:50 p.m.
No one ever said: I really enjoy the feeling of microfiber cloths on my hands!
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/3/16 11:50 a.m.

Some times smokers are so incredibly stupid.

I was just out by one of our fuel farms, and there was a guy smoking while he walked by.

Dude- if you want to smoke and risk your heath- that's fine with me. But to risk the lives of a bunch of people when you do that is unacceptable. There are plenty of safe places to smoke.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/3/16 11:53 a.m.

The Accord oil leak was NOT the crank seal, nor was it the oil pan. It was the oil pump seal. Happily, the oil pan leaks now. Hurray!

mad_machine
10/3/16 3:47 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Some times smokers are so incredibly stupid. I was just out by one of our fuel farms, and there was a guy smoking while he walked by. Dude- if you want to smoke and risk your heath- that's fine with me. But to risk the lives of a bunch of people when you do that is unacceptable. There are plenty of safe places to smoke.

I have seen people smoke while pumping gas...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/3/16 4:52 p.m.

I told a lady to put out her cig as she rolled up to the pump across from the one I'm using. She mumbled something at me and said "whatever". I told her "You can blow your own ass up if you want when you get home but you ain't takin' me with you" and picked up the windshield washer bucket (comes out of the wall mount) and made like I was going to douse her from head to toe right that second. Her eyes got real big at that and she dropped her cig and squashed it. And this was when I was a smoker too.

Today's rant is too long and boring to post, so old smoker lady at the gas station rant will have to do.

1 ... 535 536 537 538 539 ... 2012

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsLLOoJfBl51jstHcHFQe9aDsxqXUEo4XY7KroIIWwc2D6wSxdmZ17xR7nEohXIe