1 ... 925 926 927 928 929 ... 2016
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/25/19 5:10 p.m.

You think logic applies?  Let me know when that works in an argument with a woman. laugh

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/19 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Don’t worry to much about it. She’s stayed with you through the past year, I imagine it will take more than wedding planning to get rid of her. It will be hectic, things won’t go according to plan, but when it’s over you’ll look back on how great a day it was.  

The wife and I did everything to piss off people.  My family traveled 200 miles to The Wife’s family’s church, we had a cash bar at the reception to keep her family from getting drunk and fighting, and it was in a VFW Hall which horrified my prim and proper grandmother.  We hired a fantastic DJ, our best friends all traveled to be there, invited kids and had someone to keep an eye on them, and had the photographer take lots of poses pics of everyone’s family. At the end of the day everyone had a good time.  Some people drank in the parking lot, some people didn’t give much of a gift because they had to travel but none of that mattered to us.  What did matter was that my wife had a wonderful day.  The only wedding picture my grandmother displayed up until she passed was a 16x20 from ours because we had all her kids, grandkids and great grandkids in it.  

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/25/19 6:29 p.m.
Appleseed said:

You think logic applies?  Let me know when that works in an argument with a woman. laugh

Frequently?

All women are different

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/19 6:42 p.m.

The skin at the base of the fingernails is the most vulnerable part of the human body. Nowhere else is at the same time so easy to damage, so sensitive to pain, so slow to heal, and so frequently in harm's way.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/25/19 7:31 p.m.

Not sure if it's the advertisers, the lawyers or the combination thereof, but I don't really need to be told "actor portrayal" after your commercial.  I was already pretty sure you didn't break into some random dude's house and catch him in a moment of terror when he wakes up realizing his C-PAP machine might not be properly cleaned.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/25/19 7:50 p.m.

Every day, my 58 year old brain understands less and less about what is and isn't offensive.  I saw a Cadillac ad on TV last night that had a black dude in a purple suit approaching his white Escalade.

Is that not reinforcing a stereotype?  Do people who can afford an overpriced bus want to be known as pimps? 

Buggered if I know anymore.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/25/19 7:55 p.m.

Less then a week until back surgery and I've apparently developed anxiety. I've never worried about anything like this. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/25/19 8:04 p.m.

For what it's worth,  I'm reasonably sure I've had mild to high anxiety for the past 10 years.

Whole body: fatigue, restlessness, or sweating

Cognitive: lack of concentration, racing thoughts, or unwanted thoughts

Behavioral: hypervigilance or irritability

Also common: anxiety, excessive worry, fear, feeling of impending doom, insomnia, nausea, palpitations, or trembling.

When you have something so long, it becomes the new normal. It's not that you don't notice it, you've just become used to it. Relax is just a made up word.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/25/19 8:05 p.m.
dropstep said:

Less then a week until back surgery and I've apparently developed anxiety. I've never worried about anything like this. 

I think I that's pretty normal...  I'm waiting for a call to go on for heart bypass surgery.  In the three weeks since the angiogram, I've gotten ok with the idea, but I'm also balancing the fear of the operation against waiting for the inevitable heart attack... KIinda takes the pressure off, in a way.

Best of luck with the back.  Those doctor types have a pretty good idea of what's going on these days...I sure hope.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
2/26/19 6:31 a.m.

How the berkeley does one get hit by a train, and not get killed?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
2/26/19 6:33 a.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/19 7:56 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

How the berkeley does one get hit by a train, and not get killed?

It happens more often than you’d think.  People can be surprising durable and modern medicine can repair a lot of damage. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/26/19 8:59 a.m.

GM introduced the new Blazer, which is a 2-row crossover that's only slightly bigger than an Equinox but doesn't replace the Equinox. Now they just announced that next year they will be introducing a Blazer XL, which will be a 3-row variant, but not replacing the already existing 3-row Traverse crossover. GM, this is the same stupid E36 M3 that led to you going bankrupt before.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/26/19 10:23 a.m.
NickD said:

GM introduced the new Blazer, which is a 2-row crossover that's only slightly bigger than an Equinox but doesn't replace the Equinox. Now they just announced that next year they will be introducing a Blazer XL, which will be a 3-row variant, but not replacing the already existing 3-row Traverse crossover. GM, this is the same stupid E36 M3 that led to you going bankrupt before.

It's ridiculous.  The niche markets have niche markets these days.  There's no tiny / small / medium / large any more.  There is a smooth continuum of dozens of models from small > enormous.

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/26/19 10:33 a.m.
Duke said:
NickD said:

It's ridiculous.  The niche markets have niche markets these days.  There's no tiny / small / medium / large any more.  There is a smooth continuum of dozens of models from small > enormous.

Oh, and we literally just got our first Blazer in at work 20 minutes ago. GM may say it's bigger than an Equinox, but I'm hard-pressed to tell if there is a size difference between the two. It's also pretty much the same price. Cool. The best part was all of us techs looking over it and pretty much calling it out for being trash and interrupting all the sales personnel jerking themselves off over it.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/26/19 2:15 p.m.

I split my time between two shops in two different facilities.  This means that monday, wednesday and friday I'm at shop A where we have approximately 5 different tables spread around for people to sit at during breaks and lunch.  This leads to a lot of clickishness and not terribly social.  Shop B I'm at on tuesdays and thursdays and is one room with one large table with exactly 8 seats around it.  Shop B is a much more social place where we all joke and socialize during breaks, I kinda enjoy it.  This was great when there were 7 other guys and me but we just hired a new guy who is there full time and as I'm a "part timer" guess who lost his seat.  Guess I'll be taking breaks right at my computer in my corner shop. frown

wae
wae SuperDork
2/26/19 2:29 p.m.

berkeley you java.

berkeley

you.

Also, I know my certificates are out of date and the certificate authority's authority has expired.  I don't care.  It's okay.  I really do know what I'm doing here.  Just ignore the stupid thing and let me manage the stupid array.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/26/19 3:19 p.m.

Why is every single electrical connector different between a 96 and 98? Really? Really?????

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/26/19 4:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Why is every single electrical connector different between a 96 and 98? Really? Really?????

Because the round pin 96 ones were a source of constant pain, so Chrysler changes to the flat pin units.  You can either swap the sensors and coils and stuff back to the round pin units, or hit the junkyard and clip off a bunch of the 3 pin flat connectors and solder them to the harness.

Edit- One main engine connector is a bit different because they went to a pulse width modulated fan control after 96, too.  95 is a one year ecu, 96 is a one year, 97-98-99 are the same, or close enough for government work.

I presume we are still talking Neons, right?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/26/19 4:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Why is every single electrical connector different ?????

FTFY.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/26/19 6:11 p.m.

Using a spokesperson with an English accent to sell your luxury Japanese product isn't going to make me think it is more fancy, Lexus. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/19 7:13 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Using a spokesperson with an English accent to sell your luxury Japanese product isn't going to make me think it is more fancy, Lexus. 

Worked for Pontiac whe they had Captain Picard doing the voice work.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/26/19 7:39 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I want to like the new Blazer.  It just feels like a current Chevrolet with different name on it.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/26/19 8:24 p.m.

I want to like my job, but putting in more hours than what I am getting paid for just to keep up with the workload is getting old real quick. Trying to get everything done as fast as possible (since almost everything on my desk is high priority and needs to be done yesterday) has led to a few honest mistakes, so now my boss is micromanaging the berkeley out of me which is not only not helping, it is making me really hate my berkeleying life right now. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
2/26/19 10:57 p.m.

Don't settle for information from sources that make you feel good.  I chuckle when I read articles and forum posts about our world today and commenters are so dug into their positions they won't entertain an outside thought.  Ask them "why" and the lazy will curse your name to the stratosphere.  Less lazy ones will post an article or chart...from sources that make them feel good.  More engaged people will explain their point in hopes of educating and converting you to their side of an issue.  The most engaged, and polite, will say, "I've got an idea but I'd like to hear yours."  That's where learning begins.  

The internet was made for the exchange of ideas.  Not the steadfast, unyielding squabbling of the immature.

We'll ask here, "how do you set the timing on a 305 with a Chinese turbo kit?" and have 10 pages of great discussion but someone will mention a leader or belief system, or changing views in science and the thread gets locked.  Be consistent.  If you're curious and helpful with mechanical things, be curious and helpful with more nebulous ideas.  

Just ranting before bed.  Good night.

1 ... 925 926 927 928 929 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7mRjMqYjnEb1ln0g6tNCoMOQlyROyxvGnM7sFiwnGh7k6CL5KjMr3MM3Tjhr583S