1 ... 931 932 933 934 935 ... 2016
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/19 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

See if they have tough truck style competitions in your area. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/7/19 11:52 a.m.

This is the second day that I've had intermittent cell network problems at work that have left my phone and iPad effectively without data connections, and I think I finally figured out the cause: this week is the HS Regional Basketball tournament at the sports arena, so there are hordes of HS kids around clogging the cell network downtown.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/19 12:30 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Antihero :

See if they have tough truck style competitions in your area. 

Hmm.....i like this idea

Antihero
3/7/19 12:32 p.m.
Stefan said:

Is there a donation place in the area that accepts vehicles?  You may not get cash in your pocket right now, but they might take it with less hassle and you can have something for your taxes next year.

There is but i would almost feel bad inflicting it on a charity.

Cash in pocket is nice, me and the wife have decided this is gonna be stupid money anyway, not budgeted at all and buying the things that are shiny.

Think of it as a celebration of ridding myself of an 02 explorer. I think Stampie understands this

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/7/19 12:37 p.m.
Antihero said:
Stefan said:

Is there a donation place in the area that accepts vehicles?  You may not get cash in your pocket right now, but they might take it with less hassle and you can have something for your taxes next year.

Cash in pocket is nice, me and the wife have decided this is gonna be stupid money anyway, not budgeted at all and buying the things that are shiny.

Think of it as a celebration of ridding myself of an 02 explorer. I think Stampie understands this

Charity would likely just auction it off. 

Antihero
3/7/19 12:47 p.m.
mtn said:
Antihero said:
Stefan said:

Charity would likely just auction it off. 

The one im thinking about fixes them up if cost effective or just sells them as is. They dont sugar coat it so it might be ok.

I had a few people contact me about it this morning, one seems pretty hopeful....he wants the engine then he ll scrap the rest. If that doesnt work ill either kill it with fire, or staple a bunch of copper to it and leave it in the bad part of town...........although even them it feels like it would be tough to get rid of

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/7/19 1:20 p.m.

My lunch break right now is being ruined by hootie and the blowfish on the radio. On repeat. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/19 1:21 p.m.

people are driving like A-holes around here today. Just went up to my Fathers on the Garden State Parkway with it's 65 mph limit. I was doing 80 trying to keep up with traffic and getting passed by minivans. Secondary Highways are no better. Speed limit 50 mph? I was doing 60 and getting passed by box trucks. This is on a heavily patrolled road too.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/7/19 1:59 p.m.

Antivaxxers. How are they a thing? And I'm not talking about the reclusive religious communities, but the folks on facebook that when you click on their profile, they look like something straight off of "People of Walmart". 

They have to be the dumbest group alive. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/7/19 2:03 p.m.

My mom didn't get me a vaccination for XXX.

Yeah, it shows.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/19 2:07 p.m.
mtn said:

Antivaxxers. How are they a thing? And I'm not talking about the reclusive religious communities, but the folks on facebook that when you click on their profile, they look like something straight off of "People of Walmart". 

They have to be the dumbest group alive. 

I have to wonder if they wear seatbelts too.

When my sister was born in 1980, we could not go up and visit our grandparents in Lancaster. The PA state government was forcing the Amish to vaccinate their kids for Polio

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/7/19 5:30 p.m.

berkeley you, sinuses!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/7/19 9:13 p.m.

I've burned through about $800-$900 and several weekends and evenings to turn a $200 car into a $400 car.  I think this is the last time I try to resurrect anything that has been sitting for a few years.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/8/19 12:34 p.m.

berkeleying scumbag relatives who will berkeley over family for money. 

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/19 12:40 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I've burned through about $800-$900 and several weekends and evenings to turn a $200 car into a $400 car.  I think this is the last time I try to resurrect anything that has been sitting for a few years.

Is it at least something cool? wink

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/8/19 12:46 p.m.
logdog said:
eastsideTim said:

Is it at least something cool? wink

Depends - is a 1989 Mazda 626 sedan with an automatic transmission cool?  Been trying to get something cheap put together for a relative.  Maiden highway voyage yesterday was rather scary.  Still needs at least some electrical work, wheels/tires balanced, low idle fixed, and who knows what else after the next layer of the onion is peeled off.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/19 1:26 p.m.

berkeley you, Google. Tried to sign up for a Contributor subscription (micropayments for participating news sites, to remove ads), and got an error saying to retry again later. Which I did, two more times.

Now I have no access to Contributor, three subscriptions showing in Google Pay, and I got one response to my first query about the issue almost three weeks ago. The couple of pings since then have gotten silence. About ready to do a chargeback, which seems like it's going to wind up inconvenient somehow.

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/9/19 6:48 a.m.

Fixed the three leaking brake lines on the Stuporu Baja. Start it up in the garage and I'm checking to make sure there is no leaks, and notice that the alternator has now started making death noises. I hate this berkeleying car.

wae
wae SuperDork
3/9/19 6:53 a.m.

When I went to go to bed last night, the dog wouldn't move out of my spot, so I wound up going to the guest room to sleep...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/19 6:57 a.m.

Not sure if more agry at the a-hole who previously did exhaust manifolds on the 4.8 Explorer that I'd fought over the past two days.  Using bolts, not studs.  Which of course did not work, and the use of e-z-crystallize bolts for the Y pipe connection meant that new manifolds had to be obtained because it was cheaper than the labor to try to remove what was left of the old bolts that, of course, broke right off even though the manifold ears were heated up to orange-yellow.

The kicker was that one of the studs that originally broke off, spun into the head when they tried to drill it out.  Knurled, or anybody else not a complete idiot, would have cleaned up the threads in the face of the head, and then spun the broken part of the stud right back out again.  Real Man of Genius decided to go a different route, cutting most of the end of a new stud off and reefing it into the hole with the broken stud still in place.  Which left four threads in the head, which pulled out, helped along by the Real Man of Genius not deburring the end of the stud before ramming it into the hole, wrecking the threads.

Grr.

The other rant is looking for parts for an '81 RX-7 on eBay and seeing partout pics that are of cars that are in far better shape than the one I'm trying to get parts for, and the car I have is in extremely good shape.  Friggin' desert people being all wasteful with their cars...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/9/19 4:26 p.m.

Would you pick up meat for dinner?

Sure, what would you like? 

Oh, I don't know. I can cook anything. 

Decide.

Anything. I don't care.

I got Italian style pork chops.

I don't eat pork, so I might overcook them.

...Aaaaaargh!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/9/19 5:02 p.m.

Had the first migraine of my life last night, that was a horrible experience. They think it was a reaction too the sedative used for my heart cath. Get great news about nothing wrong with my heart and spend the next night with my head throbbing and vomiting. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/19 6:15 p.m.

Steel floor jacks win the battle against toes in the drop test.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
3/9/19 6:21 p.m.

I have an extremely bad temper. I have, over the years, managed to get a level of control over it that most people who know me think I am easy going to a fault.

This berkeleying thing made me angrier than I have been in years. It refused to come off. The plug above it is out, the oil is changed, the bolts are off the starter, the stud was blasted with pb. Hammer the E36 M3 out of it.

Will not budge. I started at 11 am and finally finished at like 4:30 in the afternoon.

I was pacing around the driveway and about five seconds from putting my fist to something I shouldn't until it broke or my hand did so I packed everything up, pulled the truck off the ramp without the expansion plug, and ordered one of the same E36 M3ty rubber ones I just popped out of the hole earlier.

It's been three hours and I'm still mad.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/10/19 3:42 a.m.

I went to bed at 10:30 with a headache. Woke up at 1:30 to move my car with a headache.  Now I'm siting here reading. With the same headache I've had all day. I'm wired and I can't sleep because my brain thinks 3 hours of sleep is acceptable. 

berkeley you, brain.

1 ... 931 932 933 934 935 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qDKMSdw8Pr5I239HzeWi5eSrPWzEmZBXDYlZZ0BWjV13WXuaDdDvaXiLItf22xH4