1 ... 932 933 934 935 936 ... 2016
stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/19 5:38 a.m.

Ugh, DST can berkeley right off. I hate the time change twice a year. Arizona has the right idea.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/10/19 8:06 a.m.

Berkeley  believing other people. I've been trying to clean a set of wheels that I let brake dust build up on too long. I've been using different ideas I have found on line to get the cakes on dust off the wheels. Last night I was trying oven cleaner.  It seemed to be working fairly well. The directions on the oven cleaner said for stubborn stains let it sit for 8 or more hours. Checked on the wheel this morning and the finish is gone, however the clumps of brake crud are still there. Now I guess I'm spending more time stripping and repainting. That saved me alot of time.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/19 9:14 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

Ugh, DST can berkeley right off. I hate the time change twice a year. Arizona has the right idea.

I worked till 1:30 this morning. Got home at 2, took a shower, got to bed magically at 4? I was supposed to be at work at 10 this morning. I called out. Even with the alarm, I didn't get up to 9:15. I would love to know why my boss schedules a quick turn around when A: it is DST change. B: there is nothing going on today.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/10/19 10:05 a.m.
imgon said:

Berkeley  believing other people. I've been trying to clean a set of wheels that I let brake dust build up on too long. I've been using different ideas I have found on line to get the cakes on dust off the wheels. Last night I was trying oven cleaner.  It seemed to be working fairly well. The directions on the oven cleaner said for stubborn stains let it sit for 8 or more hours. Checked on the wheel this morning and the finish is gone, however the clumps of brake crud are still there. Now I guess I'm spending more time stripping and repainting. That saved me alot of time.

Mr. clean magic eraser, for the future. 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/10/19 3:44 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

That was one of.my first attempts, the brake dust laughed at Mr Clean and shredded the eraser in about 20 seconds. This is perfect example of why you should deal with things as they happen. If I would just clean the wheels after using them, they would have been fine. Instead I always planned on giving them a deep clean "next" time, turns out next time is too long. Waiting 5 or 6 years to clean something is not a good idea.

Now I need ideas on how best to save the base finish on the wheels. My plan now is to hose the wheels down with the oven cleaner and get all the silver finish off and somehow clearcoat the black base  finish that is underneath as long as I don't ruin that too. Bets on I'll be back on this thread next weekend with how I big a mess I make trying to clean the rest of the wheels.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/10/19 5:00 p.m.

Nice warm day. Detail the Versa. Sit down for a beer. The 12 O'clock boys roll past a few hundred feet away on the Ave. I knew it would be a probability down here especially as I learned two decades ago that anything with Ave in the address is trouble. My garage is on an Ave. Yep there too. 

Lucky thing is at night they go downtown to taunt the Nash Bridges 'cause the law protects them from being chased.

It is essentially anarchical. Just dumb to me.

no

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/10/19 5:29 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

Nice warm day. Detail the Versa. Sit down for a beer. The 12 O'clock boys roll past a few hundred feet away on the Ave. I knew it would be a probability down here especially as I learned two decades ago that anything with Ave in the address is trouble. My garage is on an Ave. Yep there too. 

Lucky thing is at night they go downtown to taunt the Nash Bridges 'cause the law protects them from being chased.

It is essentially anarchical. Just dumb to me.

no

Let's see whether I'm close: Bikers with attitude drove by your house.  They only ride north/ south on avenues, because something.  At night, they go somewhere to bother snappy dressers in muscle cars, or police officers.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/19 7:11 p.m.

From a quick google search.. they are a "notorious" dirt bike gang in the Baltimore area. They made a movie about it

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/19 7:32 p.m.

Now that I ordered the shiny, candy-like fuel pressure sensor for teh R, I find out that the car will somewhat happily run with it unplugged, somehow.  (It's needed to control the fuel pump) 

"Somewhat" happily is far better than randomly cutting out when it thinks fuel pressure has spiked from 43psi to 111psi and it cuts injector pulsewidth way back to compensate, and jeez, there have been quite a few hairy moments in traffic I could have avoided if I'd tried failing the sensor out sooner.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/10/19 7:59 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Now that I ordered the shiny, candy-like fuel pressure sensor for teh R, I find out that the car will somewhat happily run with it unplugged, somehow.  (It's needed to control the fuel pump) 

"Somewhat" happily is far better than randomly cutting out when it thinks fuel pressure has spiked from 43psi to 111psi and it cuts injector pulsewidth way back to compensate, and jeez, there have been quite a few hairy moments in traffic I could have avoided if I'd tried failing the sensor out sooner.

For future reference, if you have live data, just watch the fuel rail pressure while you push the connector on the sensor towards the fuel rail a bit.  That seems to be the direction that induces the failure.

Also, never, ever trust the pid for fuel pump duty cycle.  I've never seen an aftermarket scanner read it correctly.  I use a multimeter with a duty cycle setting, at the fuel pump driver, and run the fuel pump self test.  Anything over about 55% will kick the code.  And last, don't think you can install a pump that doesn't have "Volvo" written on the box.  Even a Bosch, that appears identical will fail.  Took me three times on two different cars to figure that out. (Warranty one twice, one once.)

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/19 8:01 p.m.

Please stop asking if I’m happy or pretending it matters. If I say no absolutely nothing will change, you’ll just feel bad. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/10/19 8:38 p.m.
Wally said:

Please stop asking if I’m happy or pretending it matters. If I say no absolutely nothing will change, you’ll just feel bad. 

Hey, man, in light of your recent posts I'm extra sorry we didn't get to meet up last October.  You've got my number.  Give me a call anytime you need to talk.  I mean it.

Knurled.
3/10/19 9:05 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Knurled. said:

For future reference, if you have live data, just watch the fuel rail pressure while you push the connector on the sensor towards the fuel rail a bit.  That seems to be the direction that induces the failure.

Also, never, ever trust the pid for fuel pump duty cycle.  I've never seen an aftermarket scanner read it correctly.  I use a multimeter with a duty cycle setting, at the fuel pump driver, and run the fuel pump self test.  Anything over about 55% will kick the code.  And last, don't think you can install a pump that doesn't have "Volvo" written on the box.  Even a Bosch, that appears identical will fail.  Took me three times on two different cars to figure that out. (Warranty one twice, one once.)

Oh, i tired hosing it with water (since it seemed to initially act up when raining), I tried pulling and tugging on the harness, tapping the sensor... nothing.

I had already reasoned myself into thinking that it was the sensor because the car would go dead lean when the fuel pressure reading would spike, and it did finally eventually set a fault code for fuel pressure signal high, but not anything for the fuel temperature signal, which tells me that it wasn't a problem with the ground circuit for that siamesed sensor (how else would wiring cause a 5v referenced sensor to read higher voltage than actual?  And I see more wiring faults than actual sensor faults, for the most part).  But I still had a nagging doubt that it could be the PEM since, again, no amount of percussive persuasion could get it to act up.  Strictly heat related... which indicated it could be the PEM and the reading was correct.

On Saturday, it finally acted up for long enough that it would do it at idle, and I had an actual mechanical gauge on it.  Yep, it stayed at 43psi when the reading would spike.

Trust instincts, but verify.

Now, if I could just find an intact ignition coil harness, I'd be golden.  I really don't feel like giving FCP Euro $9 a connector housing and $2.50 per PIN, times five connectors and three pins per.  (Or was it four?)  And then scavenging my masses of old wiring harness loom to find wire of the correct color and stripe because I'm anal-retentive like that.  I think I'm down to one completely intact Chevy LT1 harness and I really REALLY don't want to hack that up.

Knurled.
3/10/19 9:37 p.m.

I just made three slices of buttered bread and the first one tasted... chemical-y.  Like spraypaint drying.  Sniff the other two... same thing.

Open the butter, smell it...  smells okay.

Can bread go bad in such a way that it smells like Krylon?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/11/19 2:11 a.m.

I signed up for a SAE class in October. The invoice they sent that  I have says the class is March 11-13. The email they sent says March 11-13. Sometime between when I signed up and when they sent a reminder in February,  the dates changed to 12-14. Had they sent me a specific message saying they moved it I might have noticed. But I didn't. I had already bought tickets and hotel rooms and life is busy and I had it written on my calendar so I got on the plane today and flew to California.  Only after I got here and started a thread to tell people about the class did someone point out the dates which was cool of them. 

A different plane ticket back, extra hotel and car rental is going to knock me back $800. I'm quite not happy about all of that. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/11/19 2:19 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Pretty much. Must be nice not having to deal with it. yes

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/19 5:54 a.m.

The videogame industry is in dire need of a shakeup. "But but budget! But but deadline" you know what? You'd make a Hell of a lot more money if you released a finished product on day one, like the industry did for almost 40 years. The internet is making you lazy and greedy. Day one "patches" pushing 50gb when the game itself is 25gb? It's called file compression, look into it. OR take all that "beta" input and patch it in before you go gold.

I went all digital 2 years ago because it seems pretty Damn pointless buying a game on disc then waiting 3 hours for the patches to download and install to make it playable. And I live somewhere with "good" internet. It's bad enough there are 3 to 4 versions of games these days, sometimes tripling the base price just to have the complete game. "Oh but we're preparing for dlc and weekly updates and blah blah blah, berkeley you. Release a complete game or don't release it at all.

Loot boxes and asset flips are whole other rants. It's like the entire industry just decided to go anti consumer at once, because it gets them YouTube views and twitch stands for free advertising. Well all the advertising in the world doesn't make up for selling a broken product on day one.

It's like going to Ford and buying a mustang off the lot, but you need to wait for them to put the motor in it before you can take it home. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/11/19 8:50 a.m.
wae said:

When I went to go to bed last night, the dog wouldn't move out of my spot, so I wound up going to the guest room to sleep...

Almost did the exact same thing last night myself. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/11/19 9:37 a.m.

You let a dog dictate where you sleep? 

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
3/11/19 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

The rule in my household is, "He who pays the mortgage eats first and sleeps wherever he wants." 

The pets have made peace with it.  And in fairness, if one of them showed up with a $1300 check that month, I'd happily feed them first :p.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/11/19 10:14 a.m.

I'm bigger than dog. I'm stronger than dog. Dog can get off the damn bed, and if dog doesn't, I'll move him off the bed. 

Rant: teammate, we do not need to communicate every single update. So don't ask me if I have. I haven't. We have a meeting with these folks tomorrow, I'll say "Hey, BTW, this is the update". Its like if you were having a car restored, and you got the update that the wire for the speakers got here. I don't care to know that the wires for the speakers are here. Tell me when you've installed the damn thing, but at this rate we'll never get anything done if we're just providing updates.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/19 10:40 a.m.

How do I have 3 different batteries from 3 different cordless ecosystems, whose chargers all say defective battery at the same berkeleying time?

They all charged just fine yesterday, after months of non use. Now they refuse to charge at all.

Does no one make a decent anything anymore?

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
3/11/19 11:45 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I make a decent egg salad, but other than that it's all garbage.  wink

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/11/19 12:19 p.m.

Why would you send a scanned 38 page packet as 1 page per pdf file attachment????

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/19 12:21 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Why would you send a scanned 38 page packet as 1 page per pdf file attachment????

I'm guessing it was scanned and the person didn't know how to set the scanner to batch mode.

1 ... 932 933 934 935 936 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BLxQE6F4zgTP2LE98N9q4Uti6YDly2dCz9CcnovlCh5dytivjctJqKM2Qq3fRbUF