1 ... 933 934 935 936 937 ... 2016
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/11/19 12:56 p.m.
Appleseed said:

You let a dog dictate where you sleep? 

At least in my case, the problem isn't so much the dog, it's the wife who spoils the crap out of said dog. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/11/19 4:29 p.m.

Just got back from Menards. Why did I have to go to Menards? Because in the past 2 weeks we have had a new dishwasher installed, and on Saturday night, a new faucet. That involved, obviously, turning off the valves under the sink. Well I accidentally turned the valve for the dishwasher instead of the faucet, which prompted the valve to break--it was actually spewing out from the valve handle. So I run to the basement to shut off the whole house water. Great.

Poor choice on my end for doing this at 10PM on a Saturday, because every place was closed, except Wal Mart which was not showing any valves in stock and I try not to go there anyways. Luckily, I find one in the basement. It is old, and it looks like it is going to be leaky. It is. But it works! So far it is leaking about 1/2 gallon a day. I've got a pan under it that is catching it, so it should be ok. But now I'm looking at the water it is catching. Feck. That is rusty. Water Heater needs to be replaced now. Awesome. Just awesome.

On Sunday, I go to Home Depot. I cannot find the matching valve anywhere other than a multi-turn one. I don't want a multi-turn valve. I want a 1/4 turn. Luckily Menards had it today, but jeez... All this for a new faucet. And, the kicker, I'd have been 100% ok if I never touched any of the valves and just turned the water off at teh whole-house valve. Except now I know that I need a new water heater sooner rather than later, which is good, except...

I was really hoping to hold out until I did my roof. We have a chimney that only serves as a vent for the water heater--everything else is a direct vent. I wanted to do the roof, chimney, and water heater all at once. So now I get to decide if I want to do the cheaper option for a chimney vented water heater, or the more expensive direct-power vent, knowing that if I do the chimney option I'll have to pay to rebuild the chimney in 5 years when I do the roof. Woof. Ain't home ownership fun?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/19 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I appreciate it.  She had been making good progress until the last setback.  Now she pushes herself hard all week with work and therapy so the two days I have her she sleeps or i have to drive her to docs, her office, and back up north. Hopefully the end of the week we’ll know what they plan to do for surgery because the cyst is so large it’s painful and it’s causing a bunch of other problems.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/11/19 10:24 p.m.

She appreciates what you do. More that you'll ever know. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/11/19 10:54 p.m.

I want to know how in the hell we ended up in the timeline where everyone is expected to carry around networked thousand-dollar shards of glass in their pockets to stay in touch. 

Where everyone oohs and aahs about the design and quality feel of the aluminum and titanium, and how thin and perfect it is, and then sticks the glass shard into a mil-spec rubber and plastic case printed with pink realtree, so, you know, it doesn't break.

How did we end up with the most personal piece of technology, that we carry everywhere, being too beautiful to live?

wae
wae SuperDork
3/11/19 11:25 p.m.
Appleseed said:

You let a dog dictate where you sleep? 

Moving the dog would have caused enough commotion to wake up the woman who is sick and really needs her sleep.  Normally I don't abide that sort of behavior.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/12/19 7:41 a.m.
Wally said:

I appreciate it.  She had been making good progress until the last setback.  Now she pushes herself hard all week with work and therapy so the two days I have her she sleeps or i have to drive her to docs, her office, and back up north. Hopefully the end of the week we’ll know what they plan to do for surgery because the cyst is so large it’s painful and it’s causing a bunch of other problems. 

Not much I can do physically from here, but if you just want to chat or vent or whatever, don't hesitate to reach out.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/12/19 8:55 a.m.

After getting an hour or so less sleep last night than would have been nice owing to the Dancer not wanting to get up off the couch where she had dozed off and come to bed, I headed out this morning to ride in to work on my bike. It's cold out now but well within what I have the gear for, and it will be fairly nice this evening and I've been trying to ride as much as possible as part of my attempts to manage my blood pressure without medication. 

Open up the garage and hmmm, the bike has fallen over, that's odd- it was upright last night. Roll it out and remember it felt a bit soft yesterday so grab the pump to top off the tires... and the rear tire is completely flat. For the second time this year. The last time, I aired it up and rode in on it but then had to inflate it back up as best I could at work with the compact pump and limp it to the bike shop that's halfway home. 

This time I tossed the bike in the back of the Rampage and drove it in... I hadn't wanted to, but this is getting ridiculous so I guess it's time to replace the rear tire with one that has better built-in puncture protection than the current (admittedly fairly old) tire. At the rate I am going through tubes this year it should easily pay for itself...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/19 9:24 a.m.
Mike said:

I want to know how in the hell we ended up in the timeline where everyone is expected to carry around networked thousand-dollar shards of glass in their pockets to stay in touch. 

Where everyone oohs and aahs about the design and quality feel of the aluminum and titanium, and how thin and perfect it is, and then sticks the glass shard into a mil-spec rubber and plastic case printed with pink realtree, so, you know, it doesn't break.

How did we end up with the most personal piece of technology, that we carry everywhere, being too beautiful to live?

I simply cut out the middleman and buy phones made of more pedestrian materials and then go caseless most of the time - all plastic-bodied phones so far, but my next phone will be made of magnesium and aluminum (not that I have a problem with plastic).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/12/19 9:36 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Mike said:

I simply cut out the middleman and buy phones made of more pedestrian materials and then go caseless most of the time - all plastic-bodied phones so far, but my next phone will be made of magnesium and aluminum (not that I have a problem with plastic).

Since I now carry an iPhone for work, I'm considering moving over to a dumb phone for my personal phone. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/19 10:34 a.m.

I had an appointment with a new primary care team at the VA clinic near where I just moved. It's a pretty thorough appointment, to include labs. Which includes giving a urine sample. Which to say that I'm unprepared is an understatement.

My bladder is drier than a 30 year old drag slick.

I guess I can hang out at the VA for a few more hours.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/12/19 1:25 p.m.
Mike said:

This one is mostly made out of batteries.  Two years in, I have to charge it every five days now.  I did manage to break the screen by catching my sleeve on a doorknob and hurling it at the concrete floor, landing on the little raised bit on the corner.  Fixed free on the three year warranty.

Wally
3/12/19 6:51 p.m.

And she’s back at the hospital.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/12/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she is not in too much pain, that sounds like an uncomfortably large cyst. Do they have a plan of action for the surgery yet? Best wishes for her procedure and recovery! I know virtual flowers aren't as nice as the real thing, but please let her know we are pulling for her!

Wally
3/12/19 7:36 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

We haven’t heard from the doctor yet but the nurse said it doesn’t look like it burst which was their initial concern.  

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/19 8:33 p.m.
Wally said:

And she’s back at the hospital.  

Best of luck man, to the both of you

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/19 8:33 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Mike said:

This one is mostly made out of batteries.  Two years in, I have to charge it every five days now.  I did manage to break the screen by catching my sleeve on a doorknob and hurling it at the concrete floor, landing on the little raised bit on the corner.  Fixed free on the three year warranty.

Every 5 days you say?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/12/19 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Once a week when it was new.  I don't have many apps running.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/13/19 12:16 a.m.

I might go buy some cheap  Motegi hoops for the FR-S for $250 or less. I'm scared to death I'm going to end up buying junk or at best something that doesn't fit.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/13/19 12:20 a.m.
Antihero said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Mike said:

Every 5 days you say?

And here I am using a phone that barely stays charged through a 10 hour shift. (Streaming music for most of that but still)

Wally
3/13/19 1:04 a.m.

Looks like the mass is touching the bladder, a kidney, and the tube that connects them. We find out details and options tomorrow.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/13/19 1:20 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Someone oohed at my nekkid Z3 recently. It's a tool. Not a hammer for sure. If it breaks I'll get another. Unlikely to though despite my being a spree clumsy bugger. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/13/19 1:43 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Car bras. Don't ever remember seeing them in the UK.  Or the US in the last decade admittedly. smiley

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/13/19 1:54 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

Nothing but positive waves.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/13/19 11:15 a.m.
Wally said:

Looks like the mass is touching the bladder, a kidney, and the tube that connects them. We find out details and options tomorrow.  

Uh, oh.  I hope this gets resolved soon and well.  We're all pulling for you guys, man.

1 ... 933 934 935 936 937 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zrmwgaYGgYdk1CVBYdmYuJUnoWd4KtbcAikDfqOsbmQzAbq4nYyPAennp1Op6ciD