1 ... 935 936 937 938 939 ... 2016
Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/14/19 9:36 p.m.

Since we often lack things to talk about over dinner, perhaps you could delay the long, complex, and continuous political analysis of your workday until after I am done reading the recipe, preparing the ingredients, and cooking this multi-pot meal.  Maybe, like, you know, when we sit down to eat and need something to talk about. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/19 9:52 p.m.

Thank you for all the support, it’s been a long few months.

In reply to Duke :

She’s had an issue with ovarian cysts for years but as long as they weren’t causing problems the doctors were ok leaving.  Now that this one’s grown to the point of damaging other things and her family’s history of various cancers in the area they are going in and pulling everything out. We’re hop that it solves some problems without causing to many more.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/15/19 5:22 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

Best of luck and medical science to you both.  Multi-issue medical conditions just spread the joy around, that's for sure.

Hopefully, once she's all cleaned up inside, she'll feel a lot better!

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/19 8:39 a.m.

On vacation for the first time in 3 years.  Spent half a day in urgent care for my wife with a respatory virus and me with pink eye. Now I have a head cold and blocked ears.  Hopefully it clears up for the flight back Monday or I'll be in a world of hurt.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/19 11:05 a.m.

berkeley you, old blue haired birch who can't follow lane markings. Because I had to panic stop not to run you over, I now have to replace brake lines.

4 times I've had to panic stop and blown brake lines because of it now. I'm done panic stopping for anyone. Time to shop for bull bars.

Ooo $100 with free shipping on eBay? I might just have to buy one

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/15/19 11:47 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Rusted hard lines or dried out rubber? 

I did a panic stop in the Civic just after I bought it on a deserted side road just to make sure the brakes were there, blew a rubber line that was improperly installed and rubbing on the right front tire. I'm so glad I found that there rather than in heavy traffic. 

RevRico
3/15/19 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Rusty pinhole in a hard line that grew on me I guess. Annoyingly, these lines have a rubber coating on the outside, so I couldn't tell before it blew, like when I did the shocks in the fall, but then I also couldn't hammer a compression fitting onto it either. I wound up crushing the end of the patch piece I bought and limping it home. Luckily, I was only 2 miles away, but every possible route between the lumber yard and home is downhill, so it was fun. 

New, pre bent, stainless lines are due in wednesday from Ebay. I'm not a fan of how the line follows the axle and goes around the shock, but it beats the E36 M3 out of my Sonoma that blew the line apart ABOVE the gas tank, so I had no brakes, no fluid puddles, and no idea as to why. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/19 12:05 p.m.
RevRico said:

berkeley you, old blue haired birch who can't follow lane markings. Because I had to panic stop not to run you over, I now have to replace brake lines.

4 times I've had to panic stop and blown brake lines because of it now. I'm done panic stopping for anyone. Time to shop for bull bars.

Ooo $100 with free shipping on eBay? I might just have to buy one

That's scary, I've never had a brake line blow out simply due to brake pressure, and there's been no shortage of opportunities. Maybe try coated SS lines next? Routing is a PITA due to the increased bend radius, but they shouldn't blow out...

RevRico
3/15/19 12:25 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Road salt does a number on all parts of our vehicles. I know you guys deal with the sea air year round, but it's really nothing compared to road salt and brine for rust creation and the problems that it brings.  With the distribution block on top of the differential, and the rubber coating on the line, I'm guessing some roadwater got between the rubber and the line, and got trapped in a bend. When I get the replacements, I'm going to peel or burn the rubber off and check out the rest of the line to see if my guess is right. 

I'm living fully under the assumption with the truck that if I haven't changed it myself, it's 17 years and 208k miles old, because I have no proof of otherwise. At that age, I sort of expect things to go bad. 

Honestly, I've been curious for a while, but I don't drive the truck very much. I thought I had a leaky wheel cylinder on that side because I noticed the inside of the tire was wet one day with brake fluid, but I didn't feel any on the line. That was 6 months, but only 150 miles ago. When I crawled under the truck in the lumber yard, and saw where the hole was on a corner bend, and the way the fluid was pouring out of it, I realized it was probably a line problem and not the wheel cylinder.  The pedal has been softish, and did go down a bit after a full stop, like a dying master cylinder, leaky wheel cylinder, or pinhole in a line would cause, and I have just been waiting for nice weather to work on it. So of course now that the car port is cram full of mostly finished chicken coop and other projects, it decided to finally give way when I put both feet down in a hurry. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/19 5:48 p.m.

This week can eat my ass.

Our customer on a large new project at work is running into major, potentially project killing issues at the 11th hour. This was foreseeable to some degree as, IMO, the product was not even remotely adequately tested or validated prior to being released to production, and our development time on the manufacturing side has been cut essentially to nil. The most frustrating part is the functionality of the product is completely outside my wheelhouse, so I have no idea what the root cause(s) is/are and the uncertainty of it all is driving my anxiety and stress level through the roof. We at least got some degree of clarity today and can work towards testing some potential fixes, which makes me feel much better now that I can DO something about it. This, all on top of another major project I'm managing, which is running behind schedule due to an outside vendor at the moment.

Then last night I get home from work (late) and SWMBO greets me with news that the boiler, which is the source of both our hot water and heat, is leaking. Great. She started going into great detail of her troubleshooting process before I cut her off and told her we're just calling the HVAC guy. No mental capacity left to deal with that E36 M3.

Consequently, we had to shut the hot water off and I wasn't in the mood for a cold shower this morning, so I just rolled on a bit more deodorant. All for naught, as it would turn out. The dog managed to get into a tangle with Pepe LePew this morning, which I realized just as he was jumping into the cab of my truck. So now my dog stinks, my truck stinks, and I've reeked of skunk all damn day at work. At least I can take a shower now.

TGIF at least, I plan to spend my weekend in the garage with a Guiness and my welder.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/15/19 8:55 p.m.

Purchased a new bed for one of my twins so he now has a full size like his brother. Get 2 buddy's to take the old one too the dump this morning, get a call at 4pm that there delivery driver called in sick. Its pouring down rain at the time, my son has no bed and I have a 10lb lift restriction. 

Took an hour to find a friend who would be off work in time and willing to help. Went and purchased a new clean tarp and drove up too the store. The mattress and box spring are locked in the box truck and they cant find the keys.

The frame and headboard are now included for free but my kid is bedless until Monday. I try too support small local businesses when I can but I will never shop at this one again.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/16/19 4:22 p.m.

Georgia Power took it upon themselves to replace the power line to my Mother's house, and their sub-contractor destroyed her phone box without tell her. She's been without a home phone for a few days now. AT&T can't get out for a few more days, but I can get new Comcast service by Monday. Hmmm...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/16/19 10:05 p.m.

Just bought a California duster for the Versa a day after washing it. Used it right away. Great. Oops should have waited 48hrs and set it on a newspaper. That's done now.

Can I get one for my nasal passages? I don't 'have' allergies but I am sneezing every now and then which I never do. Well except for direct sunlight. smiley

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/19 10:12 a.m.

Woke up yesterday with my left foot feeling like the coyote dropped a full size ACME anvil on it. No explanation as to what happened, nothing appears to be broken but it feels sprained and potentially inflamed.

Hobbling around the house doing my best capt'n peg leg impression while I watch the to do list grow. Grrrrrr.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/17/19 10:22 a.m.
PMRacing said:

On vacation for the first time in 3 years.  Spent half a day in urgent care for my wife with a respatory virus and me with pink eye. Now I have a head cold and blocked ears.  Hopefully it clears up for the flight back Monday or I'll be in a world of hurt.

Went back to urgent care yesterday morning.  Perforated left eardrum and double ear infections. Ok to fly at least.  Can't hear out of my left ear but at least the drugs they gave me took away the pain and pressure. And no more pool time. Happy to be on vacation but sucks to be sick.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/17/19 11:34 a.m.

SWMBO shows me a 1972 VW Beetle convertible. It's listed as $2,800, runs and drives. It clearly has parts from at least 4 different vehicles. She asks if I would pay that much in a shocked voice. Her dad had a bunch of air cooled VWs that he got cheap (20-30 years ago.)

Well, I  answered, when a 21 window bus sells for 6 figures, yeah 2.8% of that seems reasonable.  A 48 year old runner in the rust belt, yeah.

She blows a gasket, saying that it's not worth that much and would never pay it. I tell her what she'd pay and what it's worth are very different things. The high school days of decent  $500 cars are long gone. 

She's butthurt that I didn't quickly side with her opinion.  Well...you're wrong. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/19 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

ACVWs skyrocketed in price locally when the New Beetle came out.  $450 runners became $2000 runners and $50 parts cars became $900 "just needs some work"... and this was 1998!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/19 11:56 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Appleseed :

ACVWs skyrocketed in price locally when the New Beetle came out.  $450 runners became $2000 runners and $50 parts cars became $900 "just needs some work"... and this was 1998!

Prices of all things aircooled seems to have come down in my area. This one has......very questionable body work but it seems pretty rust free and is the most expensive one ive seen recently

Ugly Bug

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/17/19 12:05 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Probably due to the huge gap between. Normally the market floods with a previous generation which to my mind should make them approach affordability. I remember the sheer number of Z32s on autotrader when the 350Z came out. 

As for domesticated bliss in the other post? Be as wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove. angel But what do I know about that. Called the cops to do a welfare check on the downstairs neighbors when the row escalated to a scream. Two nights later had heard another row end with a similar scream in the small park across the street. Opening the window moved that one along.

Watch some Bill Burr standup. You'll feel better. smiley

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/17/19 12:08 p.m.

Fuel pump replacement in a 95 Silverado. Need i say more?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/19 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Bed won't come off?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/17/19 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Fought me every step of the way .getting back bumper lined back up now. And gave myself a black eye with a 2x4....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/19 12:54 p.m.

Times are tough, so there are several scrap men who roll through the neighborhood the day before trash pickup.   I put my scrap bin out with a couple rotors, some worn brake pads, etc. motherberkeleyer took the whole bin.  So berkeley those guys.  From now on it all goes in the dumpster at work.

RevRico
3/17/19 1:04 p.m.

My math skills are dwindling apparently. It took me three tries to figure out I only need 2 cubic feet of gravel for the garden buckets. No idea how I wound up with over 30 the first time and 22 the second.

12" bucket, 1"thick gravel, 30 buckets. 

I used to be able to do this sit in my sleep.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/17/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

In 1982 I was helping my sister sell her one owner 1973 super beetle for $500 and the guy was arguing for less.  We were arguing we were firm and insisted on $500. He ended up buying it.   

I still think old beetles get crazy money.   

1 ... 935 936 937 938 939 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7PmDxX87ZSSNlObv4dwAkFhHqi6oESlz39Ols62HI5Afh1dJRDMY16rVbl6HMr8