1 ... 938 939 940 941 942 ... 2016
PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/19 6:31 a.m.

Still fighting this stupid ear infection. Back to urgent care yesterday after getting dizzy spells since my doc was booked.  They said it looked like I hadn't even been on antibiotics. Ugh..I just want my ears to stop ringing and some decent sleep.

wae
wae SuperDork
3/21/19 8:53 a.m.

I grow so tired of having to beg and plead for people to come and help out at fundraising activities.  If each family would put in a grand total of 14 hours per year, we'd have all the help we need and be able to pretty consistently add about $100k to the bottom line of the school annually.  It is literally the biggest fundraiser that we do, short of charging tuition.  Like those shiny Chromebooks?  I paid for that.  The Makerspace?  Paid for that too.  Love the new textbooks instead of using public school cast-offs?  Also paid for with bingo revenue.  But you can't be bothered to come and spend 4 hours in the evening 3 times a year to help your kid's school.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/21/19 9:09 a.m.
wae said:

I grow so tired of having to beg and plead for people to come and help out at fundraising activities.  If each family would put in a grand total of 14 hours per year, we'd have all the help we need and be able to pretty consistently add about $100k to the bottom line of the school annually.  It is literally the biggest fundraiser that we do, short of charging tuition.  Like those shiny Chromebooks?  I paid for that.  The Makerspace?  Paid for that too.  Love the new textbooks instead of using public school cast-offs?  Also paid for with bingo revenue.  But you can't be bothered to come and spend 4 hours in the evening 3 times a year to help your kid's school.

We see that with the Dancer's non-profit as well. Getting people to do even the most simple things- not even 'show up and help for an hour,' but things like, 'spend 15 seconds and share the info on this fundraiser on Facebook' is like pulling teeth- even with the members of the forking board! It's even worse (of course) when it comes to getting people to do anything remotely like work- like soliciting donations for the silent auctions. If every member of the board would ask 10 businesses they frequent for a donation, each would get about 4-5 and we'd be done for each show. Instead, the Dancer gets about 60% of them, I get about 30% of them, and the rest of the board gets the last 10%. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/19 10:57 a.m.

A web development company just asked me to send HTML content as a Word document rather than an ".SQL" file, whatever that is. I'm not sure whether to put this in the rant thread or the joke thread. I did laugh pretty hard when I first read it.

Edit: After thinking about it some more, the fact that this person has a job in such a brutal cutthroat economy is clear evidence of aristocratic hiring practices in action. The rant thread was the right choice.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/21/19 12:16 p.m.

I don't know if it's the cell network or something with their servers, but I've not been able to stream more than part of an episode on the Crunchyroll apps (on either my phone or iPad) for most of this week- it keeps just freezing apparently when trying to load up one of the ads it plays since I don't have a paid account. Don't know whether to rant about the cell network, their app, or my stinginess to not pay for getting rid of the ads.

Since the Dancer and I are heading out to the beach for our Spring Break vacation in a bit over a week, I grabbed a handful of books from the library when I was getting new CDs to listen to. They didn't have all of what I hoped to find (mostly based what I got around the authors of some of my favorite shorts from Netflix's Love Death + Robots anthology), but got at least a start. The rant? Now I have to fight against my desire to READ ALL OF THE BOOKS RIGHT NOW so I actually have some left for when we're at the beach...

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
3/21/19 12:24 p.m.
Stefan said:

...Grr, stupid thing doesn’t understand fat32 formatted partitions and no one seems to sell small enough cards anymore.  OctoPi doesn’t really work with a Rpi on wireless, so I have to come up with another solution to get that up and running on WiFi or via another PC.

Can you create a smaller partition and just use FAT/FAT16? I know it wastes capacity, but you can still go up to ~2GB. 

GameboyRMH
3/21/19 12:32 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

A web development company just asked me to send HTML content as a Word document rather than an ".SQL" file, whatever that is. I'm not sure whether to put this in the rant thread or the joke thread. I did laugh pretty hard when I first read it.

Edit: After thinking about it some more, the fact that this person has a job in such a brutal cutthroat economy is clear evidence of aristocratic hiring practices in action. The rant thread was the right choice.

Update: This person has replied and confirmed they want the content in MS Word format, with the suggestion, but not clear statement, that she has consulted with somebody else on this before replying.

This is insane. This is like a manufacturer asking for abstract mosaic paintings of a part instead of these strange ".DWG" files.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/21/19 12:49 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
GameboyRMH said:

Update: This person has replied and confirmed they want the content in MS Word format, with the suggestion, but not clear statement, that she has consulted with somebody else on this before replying.

This is insane. This is like a manufacturer asking for abstract mosaic paintings of a part instead of these strange ".DWG" files.

Wow. I could understand .txt, but Word?

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/19 1:17 p.m.
mtn said:
GameboyRMH said:
GameboyRMH said:

What if Craigslist sellers who post camera phone photos of their Fire tablet showing a picture of their item are all actually professional web developers?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/21/19 1:52 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
GameboyRMH said:

This sounds similar to a situation I had at work a few weeks ago quoting a new job. Sent assembly prints out to a powder coater for quote. Guy comes back asking me if I have pictures of the part so he knows what they look like and if I could put some dimensions on the pictures so he knows how big they are. Uhh, that sounds an awful lot like a print to me, dude.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/19 2:05 p.m.
Greg Smith said:
Stefan said:

...Grr, stupid thing doesn’t understand fat32 formatted partitions and no one seems to sell small enough cards anymore.  OctoPi doesn’t really work with a Rpi on wireless, so I have to come up with another solution to get that up and running on WiFi or via another PC.

Can you create a smaller partition and just use FAT/FAT16? I know it wastes capacity, but you can still go up to ~2GB. 

Tried, partitioned the card to 2gb, formatted as FAT, etc. still didn't work.  I ordered a 2GB card because I'm hard-headed, but it will take a while to arrive.

So in my impatience, I gave up on SD Cards, grabbed a spare Raspberry Pi and USB cable, loaded OctoPi and printed out a bunch of stuff without major issue.

Its a neat machine, but the interface solutions leave a lot to be desired as it still seems to memory leak itself into oblivion on longer prints and has to be hard booted to get a consistent connection again.  Which reminds me, I need to go power it back on and start another print.

I should order some new colors though, printing everything in black works ok, but I want to print some neat stuff for the family and somehow a Winnie the Pooh toothpaste tube tool in black might look a little "off" :)

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
3/21/19 3:39 p.m.

I don't know if this a rant or a win.  I went looking for a 3/8ths socket and the first three I grabbed were 10mm, but the other day I couldn't find a single 10mm.  I will confess my toolbox is currently slightly disorganized.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/21/19 3:57 p.m.
Chesterfield said:

I don't know if this a rant or a win.  I went looking for a 3/8ths socket and the first three I grabbed were 10mm, but the other day I couldn't find a single 10mm.  I will confess my toolbox is currently slightly disorganized.

The appropriate thing to have done upon discovery of said three count 10mm would have been an immediate trade for a non-running project car. Probably abandoned due to a dearth of 10mm sockets. laugh

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/21/19 3:59 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Time dollars? Tradable for the Chromebook that little Johnny Snotnose needs next year. smiley

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/19 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Did you go with an Anet A8 as well?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/19 9:53 a.m.

Shut up laptop! There are ZERO messaging, chat, talk, communications programs on you. Why must you play a noise like Skype call for no reason at all?

I've checked process explorer and task manager, as well as all my open chrome tabs, and I can find no reasons for it, so stop already. It's profoundly annoying, especially when you randomly start ringing with my cellphone, when you're not even in the same room or on the same network. Even more annoying is you make the noises while you're shut.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 10:10 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Stefan :

Did you go with an Anet A8 as well?

Monoprice Select Mini V2, found it on Goodwill's online shop.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 11:41 a.m.

If you drive like a dick, don't be surprised if I return the favor. 

Hope you enjoyed the ride down to the next exit. I honestly wasn't sure if you would make it without busting a blood vessel. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/19 12:24 p.m.
Mike said:
mtn said:
GameboyRMH said:
GameboyRMH said:

What if Craigslist sellers who post camera phone photos of their Fire tablet showing a picture of their item are all actually professional web developers?

not professional web developers. Consultants is the word you are looking for. cheeky

GameboyRMH
3/22/19 3:14 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
GameboyRMH said:

Update 2: Had a conference call with the lead tech guy at this company. They do indeed want Word files. The reason, with a bit of paraphrasing, is that the content will be manually entered through a CMS by a coffee-cup-on-CD-tray level noob who is only comfortable with Word for source files. This should be interesting...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 6:18 p.m.

Bonusland starts at 30 billed hours in a week.

The week ended with 29.87 hours.

.13 hours from bonusland.

Ten minutes.

Ten measly little minutes.

(The bonus would have been about 1.4 Русский Стандарт but it is the principle of the thing.  It was an extremely slow week, and fully half of my billed hours were that R50 Mini clutch job/fabrication repair that I completed in, uh, a bit under six hours.  Apparently I'm pretty good at heavy R&R or something)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 6:22 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
GameboyRMH said:
GameboyRMH said:

Update 2: Had a conference call with the lead tech guy at this company. They do indeed want Word files. The reason, with a bit of paraphrasing, is that the content will be manually entered through a CMS by a coffee-cup-on-CD-tray level noob who is only comfortable with Word for source files. This should be interesting...

So, with the mention of a "conference call", I assume that this means that there has collectively been thousands of dollars spent to justify/work around hiring a luser at $10/hour instead of someone marginally less incompetent at $10.50/hour...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/19 10:51 p.m.

All next week I am working evenings.. this is good as I tend to be a night owl. All next week except for my monday.. that starts at 5am. Thanks for ruining both my Sunday and my Monday.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/19 8:34 p.m.

I knew the crying was coming.  I wish I could say something to make it better.  We meet with the oncologist Thursday to find out the pathology results and what to do next but that doesn’t help her today.  I hate days like this. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/23/19 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

My heart is heavy for you guys. 

1 ... 938 939 940 941 942 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jcKsOi7GKqx3CQ65TV1gaTTKVPYUrTJpLdax8UUpc008H6qFWaNnvtWumDCBBubO