1 ... 941 942 943 944 945 ... 2016
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/29/19 11:08 a.m.

4 hours and $400 later, im on the way again. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/29/19 11:35 a.m.

Don’t think this is good:

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/29/19 12:32 p.m.

Also a first world problem, but my wife and I have to sit down and decide between the following options:

• We have her keep her 2nd job that she was thinking about quitting, and needs to quit
  • Reduce our 401k contributions (already down to the minimum to get the match)
  • Reduce my ESPP contributions (admittedly at the maximum allowed, but the full amount has a 25% match)
  • Refinance the mortgage for a higher rate but lower monthly payment
  • Sell a guitar, but the guitars that are worth more than a few hundred all mean something to me

Hopefully the weather stays nice and I can prep the Miata to sell it this weekend, and it sells quickly...

Also, berkeley the insurance companies. Why do I need to appeal every berkeleying bill? Why is this so hard for me, someone who works in finance for a F500 company with a degree in Mathematics, Business, and Economics, to understand? I should be able to track what you guys are covering and not covering, compare it to my out of pocket max, and make a single appeal. And the only berkeleying reason it was out of network was because YOUR berkeleyING NETWORK DIDN'T HAVE THE SERVICE NECESSARY WITHIN 200 MILES. Oh, and it was an EMERGENCY WITH TRANSPORT AT 1AM. You think I'm going to quibble about if it is in our network? I have to figure that out, at 1AM, on my own? When I did this when I actually did have time, it took me over 4 hours to figure out where we actually would have been covered that also had the specialty--and that place was 4 hours away. 4 hours doesn't work with life-and-death emergency situations, shiny happy people, let alone 8 hours (4 to figure out where, 4 to get there).

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/29/19 12:54 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Emergency services are the biggest crock of E36 M3 when it comes to insurance from my experience- especially when the hospital (that itself is IN network) only contracts (not directly employs) ER doctors such that the contract company can ignore the in-network negotiated costs and charge you whatever the berk they want DESPITE the fact that emergency services are supposed to be billed at in-network rate regardless specifically BECAUSE you can't choose where you get taken.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/19 3:54 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

You might have to dip into your savings for a bit. They'll do you no good if a job/stress/worry runs you both into the ground. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 5:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

100 miles into my vacation to ohio. Lost steering in the truck. Aaa just denied to tow me due to having stuff in the bed. Im berkeleying LIVID.

Don't get me started on AAA - if there was a good alternative I'd be switching immediately.

Classic one was when the starter on my truck broke in IL and it wasn't quite clear if it was the battery, they suggested to first send out a battery guy before sending out the tow truck. OK, fine. Battery guy arrives, both batteries test out fine so they have to call in a tow anyway.

Oh, but they can only tow the truck, the trailer isn't a camper so we can't tow it. 60 bucks to the towing company sorted that out, and then I find out two months later that they charged the tow as a separate callout because I dared to call them asking where the berkeleying tow truck was after sitting in a car park for over an hour after battery dude left with zero updates.

And the less that is said about the "friendly" phone call I got from them after trying to see if they were willing to tow me when the coolant hoses blew at Laguna Seca, the better. Because that makes me really grumpy.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/29/19 6:34 p.m.

I feel you tim. If the insurance company towing was as good, id do it.

Im only going to get to Charleston wv today. Ive been on the road since 4am, broke twice, 2 hours of sleep or so, and 500 in the hole from projected expense. Not cool, and absolutely nobody's fault. I couldn't have predicted the steering box, or the random self healing ignition failure due to being stuck idling uphill in traffic for 3 hours.

The real pisser of it is that i screwed up Patrick, wae, professor brap, and eastsidetims plans. I feel like a dick.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

E36 M3 happens, and today it happened, and you're alive and in once piece and not staring at a wrecked truck.  Plans kinked a little bit is a very small bother.

I was told to meet up with Patrick after work (I work like 20 minutes away from him now) to pick up something for Evan.  So I get to his place around quarter to six and it's ghost town, so we chatted a bit after I was filled in on Dusterbd's Bogus Journey, and I went home.  Maybe see you tomorrow if the weather's crappy.

For serious, don't worry about it.  Things went WAY WAY better than they could have.  Also, you need you some sleep.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/29/19 6:54 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The real pisser of it is that i screwed up Patrick, wae, professor brap, and eastsidetims plans. I feel like a dick.

Eh, no worries on my side. Glad you made it safely to the end of your day, and hope your trip improves from here on out.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/29/19 7:00 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Payment plans. Payment plans. Payment plans.

Seriously, as long as you are making A monthly payment, the hospital collections will be happy. Tell them you can only afford $13 a month (it'll start a negotiation). 

Also, when you get on a payment plan they will reset your "level" back to zero. Then if you miss a month you go to 1, 2, 3, etc. You can generally get to level 3/4/5 and THEN ask to be put on a payment plan. And go back to level 0. Send me a pm if you have any questions.

And yes, the insurance companies can be dicks. Keep the screws to them. Consider asking for financial assistance counselors from the healthcare provider. Those people specialize in finding funding for you (really for the providers they work for of course, but it lowers your bill). They might be able to find grant money and state programs that could apply.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/19 7:39 p.m.

Tax forms. What a crock of E36 M3.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 11:53 p.m.
mad_machine said:

He has us all in at 5am tomorrow to prep for a super easy show on saturday. I am a night owl, I work evenings.. going from 4p to midnight everyday to 5am to 1pm for one screws me up something awful.. now my sleep schedule is going to be out of wack for days.

So, we all come in at 5am to prep for Smokey Robinson. All the colour is pulled and waiting to go into the lights.. The Carps, who raise and lower the trusses, don't come in till 8:30. We did not get to stage level till almost 9. Thanks for wasting half my work day for no reason.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/30/19 2:06 a.m.

Having one of those nights. Can’t sleep. Every time I get close, I wake up crying. These are fewer and farther between, and I’ve been able to solve it by partaking in an activity that is of dubious legality across the country. But apparently I ran out of the item necessary for said activity the last time this happened, about a week or two ago. So now I’m awake in bed, sad, and also hungry. But I want something bad for me. Tacos or pizza or a burger. We don’t have anything like that in the house. It’s raining. I don’t want to go to McDonald’s. Don’t want to pay for delivery. Gonna be a long night. Oh well, Netflix has a bunch of documentaries  to keep me company.

Minor win, I guess, is that I’m smart enough to realize whiskey would be a bad idea right now

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/19 5:38 a.m.

Ever since I bought my van, I have been chasing down the source of funkiness in the interior. I started by pulling the shelving, drawers and steel partition so I could pull the disgusting cargo area floor covering. I found moisture under the last 2 feet or so by the cargo doors. I'm guessing that the doors were open during a heavy Florida rain and it got under the mat and couldn't evaporate. The underside of the rubber floor was absolutely disgusting. It was covered in mildew and funk. I ripped all of it out, vacuumed and wiped down the exposed floor. That took about 70% of the funkiness out.

The passenger area carpet is equally disgusting. The van was used as a AAA roadside assistance vehicle so it was pretty grimy to begin with. The carpet had tons of sand, food and schmutz in areas that could not be easily cleaned without pulling the carpet.

So thats what I did. I pulled the front seats, the console and the lower dash trim. I finally got the carpet out. Yuck. I plan on stuffing the carpet into my compact 2 door Kia and driving to the carwash to powerwash it.

While I was picking up large debris and loose change on the bare floor, something caught my eye. I didn't really catch what it was so I stopped and stared for a minute. I caught movement again.

UH OMGWTFBBQ THERE ARE ROACHES IN HERE!!!

I berkeleyING HATE COCKROACHES WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING!!!

The more I looked, the more I saw. Nymphs, dead ones and adults. This is completely unacceptable. So I made a trip to Walmart at 4AM to prepare for war. I bought Raid fogger (in a convenient 4 pack) and a huge ass can of lemon scented Raid spray (I love the smell of lemon scented death in the morning).

I covered the dash, wheel, shifter assembly and parking brake with trash bags, rolled the windows up and let loose the aerosol of death. I hope all of the disgusting little berkeleyers die from only one application but I have 3 more to finish off the survivors.

Ugh, I still have the creepy crawlies after seeing that sad

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/19 5:45 a.m.

So nasty.

I see you!

wae
wae SuperDork
3/30/19 5:48 a.m.

Don't sweat it!  Stuff happens and it's no big deal.  Besides, I was able to use the time to take my middle daughter to the shop so we could work on building a carnival game - that she designed - out of coroplast and hot glue for her 5th grade service project.  Only a dick would feel like a dick for causing that result! laugh

Knurled.
3/30/19 6:56 a.m.

Realizing now that the bathroom is out of toilet paper.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/30/19 12:22 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Are you currently occupied in the traditional use of the bathroom?  Like, fully committed?

wae
wae SuperDork
3/30/19 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Knurled.
3/30/19 12:34 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Knurled. said:

Are you currently occupied in the traditional use of the bathroom?  Like, fully committed?

It was morning, and I was reading GRM on my tablet, so...

(How did people survive before wi-fi?  CAT5 connections in the bathroom?)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/19 1:41 p.m.

berkeleying bleed screws. Guess I'm replacing that wheel cylinder whether I wanted to or not. At least I already have one I guess

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/30/19 1:55 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I can sympathize.... last weekend I replaced a brake hose on my rusty truck pictured above, and I KNEW the bleeder would snap off if I even touched it with a wrench. Ended up pulling the caliper off and holding it upside down so the hose attachment was the highest point, and bled it thru the banjo bolt.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/19 3:49 p.m.

Im in tamarack west Virginia waiting on brother dallas with a trailer. I have admitted deafeat before i et hurt or hurt someone else.  

Anyone want to buy a stepside? Im about to light this motherberkeleyer on fire. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/19 4:22 p.m.

Trade you for an old-school Craftsman horizontal mill?!?!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/19 4:23 p.m.

Too soon?

1 ... 941 942 943 944 945 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4H3QeTiMnpJfE86g9o6LyqhebduoJBRBrgZooVO86vRHhFgFwFZHWignvbX5nTVa