1 2 3
Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
4/1/20 12:08 a.m.

Have we done a monster truck thread yet? I feel like we need a monster truck thread. 

I'll start:

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/1/20 12:23 a.m.

One of my favorite Bigfoot variants, the epic teal Wildfoot truck.

And who can forget Snake Bite?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/20 1:07 a.m.

Did we ever see Colt Cobra's face? I never did.

Besides Digger, I loved the Carolina Crusher and Awesome Kong with that super narrow body.

Can we include Monster Tanks, too?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/1/20 6:03 a.m.

My son and I went in March and had a blast. My dad took me back in 87 or so and it was amazing, my son had the same experience 

edit: I was thinking the only thing we did that summer that was more fun was watching Joie Chitwood at the fairgrounds. That was amazing to my 8 year old mind.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/20 6:19 a.m.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/1/20 6:20 a.m.

I've take the kids a couple times and it is good clean necked up fun.  It is worth staying late and hanging out in the loading area after the show.  Watching their pack out process and what they have to do to fit the trucks into a normal enclosed trailer is entertaining.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/1/20 6:29 a.m.

My father and I went last year to the event at the Syracuse Dome. Hell of a lot of fun. We wanted to go this year, but they are rebuilding the roof on the Dome and aren't holding one there this year. Also, even if they weren't doing the construction, Coronavirus.

I was hyped to see the Jeep M715 monster truck last year, and then after one jump it suffered some sort of mechanical woe and never ran again. Bit disappointing.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/1/20 6:31 a.m.

Hoonigan did a pretty good technical breakdown on one

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/1/20 6:32 a.m.

Also ran one down the dragstrip against their employee's '55 Chevy gasser with a 600hp blown LS motor

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/1/20 6:32 a.m.

And then set it loose in their Burnyard. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/1/20 6:50 a.m.

When the kids were younger, we'd watch Monster Jam on TV.  My favorite was Tom Meents and Max D.  Of course, Dennis Anderson and Gravedigger were no slouches either.  And we still enjoy driving past Digger's place on Route  158 in North Carolina on the way to the Outer Banks.  Never been to an event, though.  We do have a Traxxas Max D RC truck that's pretty awesome.  laugh

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/1/20 7:07 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Colt Cobra at least at one point was revealed to be Gene Patterson. Wiki says the persona resurfaced in 2016...idk for sure though, since Chandler owns.the truck and refuses to race for feld. I'd love to see one more Bigfoot/gravedigger match like I did in the 80s though. 

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/20 7:29 a.m.

I remember from watching some Powerblock show years and years ago, that these trucks while at full throttle burn a gallon of fuel every 10 seconds.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/1/20 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Lonny Childress also drove Snake Bite. I met Lonny years ago, he's part owner of Gateway Classic Mustang with his brother Jason.

http://bigfoot4x4.com/blog/2016/05/03/where-are-they-now-lonny-childress/

His brother Jason drove a few trucks as well: https://monstertruck.fandom.com/wiki/Jason_Childress

Both are awesomely nice guys, kind of miss seeing them around the car show circuit after I changed jobs.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/1/20 8:37 a.m.

I like my monster trucks with a side of freak show:

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/1/20 9:09 a.m.

The Mrs. and I in front of a shark-themed monster truck

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/20 9:17 a.m.
slefain said:

HOLY HELL! What's the name of that movie? I started watching that back in 87 or so, and never finished it. 

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson Reader
4/1/20 9:18 a.m.

Bigfoot, Monster Truck.

I can remember going by the original Bigfoot in Hazelwood when I was a kid sometimes when we were going somewhere through north St Louis.

Now its out in Pacific, MO:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/25494

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/1/20 9:23 a.m.
Appleseed said:
slefain said:

HOLY HELL! What's the name of that movie? I started watching that back in 87 or so, and never finished it. 

Rolling Vengeance - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093876/

The truck was built for the movie, then turned into Super Pete:

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/1/20 9:36 a.m.
slefain said:
Appleseed said:
slefain said:

Rolling Vengeance - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093876/

The truck was built for the movie, then turned into Super Pete:

A lot of the videos I was watching yesterday featured super Pete. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 9:42 a.m.

I'm about to spill one for all those longroofs that had to die so the show could go on.  :-(

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/1/20 9:43 a.m.

Missed a freak show:

The Road Boss

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/1/20 9:49 a.m.

Meanwhile in China...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 9:57 a.m.

My son and I got to ride in one at Cedar Point this summer. It was as fun as you think it would be. Grave Digger has a ride at their site as well, its on the way to OBX so we pass it every summer. I think one of the strangest was this one: 

I mean, who makes a monster truck out of an Aerostar?

Lots of people apparently

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/1/20 10:16 a.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A08UXw3KUacGOreGyorVcOz7YVBNYwKpAtrx3Ut7bF9cOP9iaJnaWsp8UxiDDTvb