curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/15/08 9:23 p.m.

I'm moving from CA to TX in mid July. I need some advice on how to do it. I've never really moved before like this. My wife and I full-timed in an RV, so with the exception of moving a carload of stuff in and out of college dorms, we've never moved. When we came to CA, we just parked the RV in front of the apartment and moved the stuff. I think it took a little over 45 minutes. I now have a sizeable amount of stuff; a 3-bedroom apartment and a 2-car garage. Its mostly already packed in boxes.

I just don't know what's available to me. I looked into renting from Penske, Ryder, and Uhaul, but they all want nearly $2000 to rent a 22' straight truck. I thought about PODS, but they want almost $5000.

Is there a cheaper alternative? I see Uhauls driving around that always say $29 a day and I don't mind returning it back here in CA... but $2000?!?!

What other methods can I explore?

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/15/08 10:38 p.m.

www.uship.com

several people here have used them with good results, but it can be hit-or-miss if you just go with whoever is the cheapest

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
6/15/08 11:29 p.m.

The $29 a day u-haul is plus mileage, and last I checked it was nearly $0.50 a mile. Penske trucks are better maintained and as general rule the newest of the rental trucks you can get, so they would be my first choice in a rental.

If you're not strapped for $, meaning if you can afford the up-front cost and aren't putting the move on a credit card, you might want to consider buying a truck and trailer, RV, or bus and re-selling it when you get to TX. A quick search of e-vil-bay shows a couple dozen 250 and 350 series trucks within 200 miles of LA for under $4k. Buy a used car trailer or rent an enclosed u-haul trailer and you'll still be under $5k. I've moved myself or helped other people move that way dozens of times, and saved a bunch over u-haul, but it does require more planning and there is more risk involved.

curtis73
6/15/08 11:38 p.m.

The trailer is a no-brainer. My buddy has one I can borrow. I also have a buddy with a P30 step van that will haul all of our stuff, but with a GVW of around 14k and a wimpy 6.2L diesel, I can't imagine it would take too kindly to a 20k GCVW.

I think buying and then selling is a wise choice. Cube vans are pretty cheap, in fact I found one for $800 with a working liftgate, but liftgate usually means no hitch.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/08 12:30 a.m.

If your renting penske is the way to go. Nic newer working trucks, and 105 off with an AAA card, which at $2000 would pay for itself.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/16/08 8:39 a.m.

Also call up the local Ryder and Penske place directly, not the 800 number. When we moved from Texas to Arkansas, the Penske 800 number wanted like $500 a truck or something and the local place rented them to me at under $200/truck.

Fosters
Fosters None
6/16/08 12:20 p.m.

I would recommend getting one of the "commercial" grade trucks with a lift gate (if you don't buy a trailer, etc). If you are anything like me (or the rest of us), you have several items that are a royal PITA to move - rolling toolboxes, deep freezers, spare engines on stands, etc. Those can be difficult to move, and I rented one with a liftgate when I moved which worked great. I only moved across town, but if the cost with slightly more; I think it would be helpful.

A good friend helped me move, and when he moved a year later guess what showed up in his driveway? A truck with liftgate.

Josh

cwh
cwh New Reader
6/16/08 4:11 p.m.

Please, for your sanity's sake, stay away from UHaul. Not only is their customer service bad, the equipment is horrid. They lie. Budget, Penske, OK. You will thank me.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/16/08 7:07 p.m.

Yep - buy a cube van for a lifgate. Sell it when you're done. You may make money. You definitely will not be out anywhere near what a cross country rental would cost you.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/16/08 7:11 p.m.

guy across the street did this. http://www.upack.com/

kinda like pods, but probably cheaper as ABF does milk runs all over the country.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/16/08 7:51 p.m.

If you rent a truck, Penske with a AAA card is the way to IMO. As mentioned, check both online and calling in, and check multiple dates. Similar to airlines, prices can vary from day to day depending on demand and availability.

When considering the buy, move, sell vehicle/trailer plan, don't forget to factor in licensing costs and all the associated hassles that come with getting a new-to-you vehicle ready for a long distance trip with a trailer. While you might be willing to deal with it if you save a grand in the long run, just be aware of all the little things that come along with it. If you've got the cash to be buying and selling a full size truck/van/trailer plus licensing and maintenance costs, my guess is you wouldn't be so hung up on the $2k moving truck fee.

Bryce

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
6/16/08 9:31 p.m.

If you have a lot of stuff, I saw that CCX Freight has a plan kinda like pods where they drop a trailer off for you to load and then deliver it across the county.

I also have found that the "per mile cost" from uhaul runs $1.00 or more. I was going to do a Chevrolet Van for one day from Chicago to Milwaukee back to Highland, Indiana back to the same uhaul spot. It was going to run $400 or so. Ouch.

curtis73
6/23/08 12:03 a.m.

I think I've pretty much decided on buying and selling. I found a 26' moving truck (low deck, side doors and ramps as well as rear). Its a 96 international diesel, air brakes and ride with 200k and the big 466 diesel. It comes with a 2006 36' flatbed car trailer. Package deal is about $13k; more than I wanted to spend, but if I can come up with the scratch I can't imagine losing $2k selling it, and even if I do, that's less than what I would have paid to rent the same rig.

Glad I have a commercial license and 10 years experience or this would be a much more difficult move. :)

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
6/23/08 4:05 p.m.

As long as the truck does not break down.

My wife had cousins that drove from Chicago to Alabama and broke down with a toasted axle in Tennessee. It was a beater truck that was not crappy enough to leave, so they towed it the rest of the way full of their "stuff".

seann
seann New Reader
6/23/08 4:51 p.m.

Yikes, that sounds like a big risk! Moving is stressfull enough as it is. I was pretty satisfied with my OR to WI trip in a Penske. Did well over the passes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lBeo4qnnanmUktpgcNTifptEF5m3smu0KWaW7prYJlS2xnVEtwjQUSth2FLzciml