1 2 3 4
Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
1/18/13 9:48 a.m.

My mom was a teacher at an inner city school in Talladega, Alabama just before I was born and at the beginning of her teaching career. She had twin girls in her class named Syphilis and Gonorrhea. Pronounced Sy-Phillis and Go-no-rea. Apparently the mother was in the Dr office for her checkup and saw the brochure about the diseases and thought those were the most beautiful names she'd ever seen.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/18/13 9:48 a.m.

The company that I work for had a customer named Richard Sweat, he insisted on being called Dick

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/18/13 10:13 a.m.

I went to high school with Clark Kent. He was mild mannered and wore horn rimmed glasses, too.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/18/13 10:21 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

Haha, I work with a Kent Clark, and we've got a prominently-placed roster with names in "last, first" format.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/13 10:23 a.m.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
1/18/13 10:25 a.m.

I've seen Lubba Lubba Robinson, Kills Pretty Enemy, Queen River Nile, and my personal favorite, Hevan Lee Gates. That last one was a part timer i hired at an old gig, 17, with a kid......

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
1/18/13 10:35 a.m.

My middle school guidance counselor was a 5 foot tall middle aged white man named Michael Jordan

mtn
mtn PowerDork
1/18/13 11:04 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Conquest351 wrote: My mom was a teacher at an inner city school in Talladega, Alabama just before I was born and at the beginning of her teaching career. She had twin girls in her class named Syphilis and Gonorrhea. Pronounced Sy-Phillis and Go-no-rea. Apparently the mother was in the Dr office for her checkup and saw the brochure about the diseases and thought those were the most beautiful names she'd ever seen.
Urban legend. http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Orangello and Lemonjello are supposed to be urban legends as well, but they exist (likely multiple times).

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/18/13 11:17 a.m.

the party chief for the surveying crew where I worked was named Hampton Hampton ... actually on his birth certificate his name was Boy Hampton ... his folks didn't get around to actually giving him a name 'til he was 3 yo ... and as you see they berkeleyed that up too

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/18/13 11:42 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
wbjones wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
what ?
What's on second
who ?

Guess I've been around Asians too long. Married to a Korean for over 31 years now. I initially read that as pronounced "U" and didn't get the big deal. After pondering it a moment I saw it. Who's on 1st, What's on 2nd, I Don't know on 3rd.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/18/13 11:44 a.m.

And knew a guy years ago named Michael Ho. Yes, pronounced just as you imagined. He was half Asian (father). Knew him in the military and the military goes by last name usually.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/18/13 11:49 a.m.

There was a Richard Head in the phone book when I was a kid, one of my buddies would call him and go 'Yo! Dick Head! What's happening?' then laugh like hell and hang up. The guy finally had his number changed to an unlisted.

I dated a girl named Sunshine. Really. Looked SO weird on her drivers' license.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/18/13 11:49 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
Conquest351 wrote: My mom was a teacher at an inner city school in Talladega, Alabama just before I was born and at the beginning of her teaching career. She had twin girls in her class named Syphilis and Gonorrhea. Pronounced Sy-Phillis and Go-no-rea. Apparently the mother was in the Dr office for her checkup and saw the brochure about the diseases and thought those were the most beautiful names she'd ever seen.
Urban legend. http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
Orangello and Lemonjello are supposed to be urban legends as well, but they exist (likely multiple times).

Just like La-A

etifosi
etifosi New Reader
1/18/13 11:51 a.m.

Years ago when I sold cars I upped an Asian man on the lot. Introduced myself & asked his name, he said it was Phil. When I asked his legal name for the titlework it turned out his name was Phuc Boi. I can understand why he preferred Phil.

When the F&I guy called Mr. Boi in to sign (on a busy Saturday with the showroom filled with customers), he called out across the floor in a booming voice: PHUC BOI! C'MON OVER PHUC BOI.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/18/13 12:04 p.m.

Upon entering the US, my family was asked to change their name to make it easier to pronounce.I don't know what's so hard about Spermuli, but they didn't speak English, so they agreed to change it to Spermo.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/18/13 12:10 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I went to college with a dude named Michael Hunt. His middle name was "Patrick." His parents ALMOST named him Patrick Michael Hunt.

I knew a Mike Hunt as well.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
1/18/13 12:54 p.m.

I work in the Ghetto a lot. I can't even begin to tell you the awesome names of my customers.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
1/18/13 1:58 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I work in the Ghetto a lot. I can't even begin to tell you the awesome names of my customers.

That's what we're here for SBF. If you don't share you can't begin the process of healing. I'd like you to try, if you feel ready.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
1/18/13 2:28 p.m.

There was a guy named Jeffrey Gordan that was a regular competitor in San Francisco Region autocrosses for a number of years. He had a really nice FD RX-7.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/18/13 2:47 p.m.

I have a customer named Mike Brady. After he's been a customer longer, I do plan to ask about kids or a maid named Alice.

Also have a customer, last name Schwartz. His company is on Lone Star Dr.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/18/13 2:47 p.m.

I was on an interview a few months back and the interviewer's name was Rob Schneider.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
1/18/13 5:27 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:

Lahyphena.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
1/18/13 5:31 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: I was on an interview a few months back and the interviewer's name was Rob Schneider.

one of my customers has the same name. .One of our regulars is named Chuck Taylor, and we have a younger guy that comes into my store once in a while his name is Cash Caswell.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/18/13 5:32 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I work in the Ghetto a lot. I can't even begin to tell you the awesome names of my customers.

Yeah we do similar work in similar areas. I have some real winners.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
1/18/13 5:40 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
Yeah we do similar work in similar areas. I have some real winners.

Former employment dealt with a large concentration of welfare clients. Sometimes the stereotypes write themselves.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M9xdIrxUaCIlUj54GIKFrIHYopsiP19hYQkxnT7v7vpwrfEUY2R9oWhtMhOqWrue