1 2
Will
Will UltraDork
5/23/17 8:15 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
5/23/17 8:29 p.m.

That's a good thing. I'll watch that. I've often wondered why they don't take advantage of the road courses at the big ovals they go to. Especially tracks they visit twice.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
5/23/17 9:19 p.m.

Kinda disappointed, moved Indy and Chicago. Guess they are trying to beat the Sept rain in Chitown. I liked the idea of that race starting the Chase. Oh well, another road course will be fun.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
5/23/17 9:37 p.m.

Not a NApSCAR fan, but wow! A 500 mile road race in Cup cars, that will be hard on cars & drivers. Will we get to see brake pad and rotor changes? Will some drivers need subs for a spell?

I'll watch.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/17 9:51 p.m.

I heartily applaud this decision.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/23/17 10:14 p.m.

That Charlotte track is going to be an interesting bitch for the crew chief. You have to run both ends of the oval, and turn left into the infield, followed by some potentially high speed right handers. How much superspeedway speed to you sacrifice to make infield speed, or vice versa? Cool.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/17 10:59 p.m.

They'll be leaning on the 24hr of Daytona teams for a lot of help I bet.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/24/17 6:00 a.m.

Really excited for this. Being a fan of NASCAR and loving road racing, this is the best of both worlds for me.

It really will make quite a challenge for the teams. From what I understand, they run nearly the entire 1.5 mile oval. I think they dive off the NASCAR track between turns 1 and 2, then run the infield road course, then back on track somewhere in turn 2. Then run the all the way around the oval. So having to set the car up for an oval track and road course at the same time should be interesting.

Frankly, I wish they'd quickly change it to make this Sundays' race on the roval....Charlotte oval at night doesn't make for great racing.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/17 8:29 a.m.

That looks like it will make for a fun race. I'll definitely watch!

trucke
trucke SuperDork
5/24/17 8:50 a.m.

Turn 1 will be the place to watch!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
5/24/17 9:09 a.m.

Hell yeah, that's awesome. I'll watch it for sure. I've always wished that would do the Daytona roval.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/24/17 1:10 p.m.

I will venture a guess that long green flag runs will come to an end when somebodies front tire blows.

Left front.

You heard it here first!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/24/17 1:21 p.m.

The only NASCAR races I ever watched were Sears Point and Watkins Glen. The trucks used to run at Road America too, didn't they? This might get a watch.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/24/17 1:26 p.m.

They should pull and old school Monza trick- one lap on the oval, one lap on the road course.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/17 1:27 p.m.
etifosi wrote: Not a NApSCAR fan, but wow! A 500 mile road race in Cup cars, that will be hard on cars & drivers. Will we get to see brake pad and rotor changes? Will some drivers need subs for a spell? I'll watch.

500K, not miles.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
5/24/17 1:29 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
etifosi wrote: Not a NApSCAR fan, but wow! A 500 mile road race in Cup cars, that will be hard on cars & drivers. Will we get to see brake pad and rotor changes? Will some drivers need subs for a spell? I'll watch.
500K, not miles.

Y U no use freedom units, Nascar?

pheller
pheller PowerDork
5/24/17 2:35 p.m.

Hurray!

I always thought the biggest entertainment in NASCAR was the road courses. It's like watching football players learn ballet.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/24/17 5:23 p.m.

what I like is that some drivers that aren't all that great on ovals seem to come alive on road courses.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
5/24/17 8:09 p.m.

So, Hell CAN freeze over!

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/25/17 9:04 a.m.

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to watching that.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/25/17 10:30 a.m.

Seems like the road course races are more interesting to watch than the ovals. More turns for something to happen. Just think 13 turns instead of 4 and not all left turns.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/25/17 11:06 a.m.

This looks cool. I wouldn't be surprised if JR comes out of retirement for this one. Gordon might also be itching for a go at this as well. Yep. A car set-up nightmare. I wonder how many cars will run out of brakes towards the end and brake for turn 1 only to end up in turn 9.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
5/25/17 11:14 a.m.

I don't see the problem. We did the one 24 Hours of LeMons race they ran at Charlotte, on the road course, and our '75 Ford LTD handled it just fine.

Should be cake for a purpose-built, high-performance, precision instrument of speed and aerodynamics.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 11:57 a.m.
etifosi wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:
500K, not miles.
Y U no use freedom units, Nascar?

NASCAR usually does road races in laps or Kilograms since that's what the furriners like.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/25/17 11:59 a.m.
jj wrote: This is the same layout as iRacing? That was a fun course. How will they do pit lane and T1? That seemed sketchy.

According to the map hotlinked above, the pit exit rejoins the course just past turn 2.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pmqQszKdGFjP2RNrKubc78QrJkZpL56DXtLniLZTlEvsrNd1NmzIfGXGln6ifsLo