1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 9:51 a.m.

Got an artsy teen's birthday coming up. I was thinking of getting her a camera.
I started off thinking a basic digital, but then thought "no, thats dumb, she has a phone."
Then I remembered I started with a Pentax K-1000 and looking around and found that they are fairly affordable.

I asked her mom about it, but she was unsure about it due to it being film.
Asked her other mom the same, and she was less concerned about film, more that she hasnt expressed a clear interest in it and she might initially be enthused but lose interest. 

Teen enjoys her little Fujifilm Instax camera, fairly regularly takes pics with it, and as I mentioned she is artsy so I'm sure at least some level of interest is there, I just dont know how much.

I know there are cameras like Camp Snap that are digital with no screen, and other features to more mimic a traditional film camera.

Are there others out there that fill random niches that I might want to look at?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/20/24 10:22 a.m.

Fuji digital cameras operate like film cameras–knobs instead of menus–but they’re not a cheap date. I do love mine, though. 

If going with real film, a K1000 from a trusted source is an excellent choice. It’s a fun, solid camera with a very robust fan base. I used one in high school and have one now. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/20/24 10:42 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I can also second that a K1000 is an excellent choice.

If going the film route, I'd suggest point-and-shoot film cameras from the '80s and '90s and the more modern SLRs built in the '90s and early 2000s as both can be had relatively inexpensively.

My Canon Rebel T2, for example, only cost me about $50 and functions very similarly to a modern Canon DSLR (auto mode is nice when I don't want to use too much of my brain)–and can even accept most modern Canon lenses, too.

I've had good luck so far at usedphotopro, but keh is a good option, too. You might be able to find a really good deal on FB marketplace, but that can be much more of a gamble.

I've been curious about the Camp Snap, so I'd be interested to hear more about that experience if you go that route.

Adding on to what David said, Fuji, Nikon, OM Systems and likely some others I'm forgetting offer digital cameras with an old-school look and feel of a film camera without the need for film. They are pretty pricey new, but the used market mide be a little more affordable.

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 11:24 a.m.

I’d also second a trusted vendor. (I have purchased a bunch of gear from KEH. I once got a lens that died right away, and they swapped it out asap.)

When I was recently visiting our local camera shop, a woman brought in a film camera that she bought a flea market. Yeah, they told her, it was rusted up inside and junk. For a few bucks more, they could have sold her a serviced camera. 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
8/20/24 11:34 a.m.

Another option could be an older point and shoot style camera. Those seem to be becoming popular again and gets a digital image with a different look from a cell phone. 

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/20/24 11:38 a.m.
Chris Tropea said:

Another option could be an older point and shoot style camera. Those seem to be becoming popular again and gets a digital image with a different look from a cell phone. 

This. Grab any old P&S, or even a few disposables (Harman makes one loaded with HP5, if you want to go B&W), and see what happens. You can always go more serious later if it takes.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/20/24 11:39 a.m.

If she's into candids, what about a half frame camera? More shots per roll.

Kodak makes one that's ~$50. 

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 11:41 a.m.

And is there a budget? What’s a good K1000 with lens now cost? I’m guessing $300-ish. 

DancesWithCurves
DancesWithCurves New Reader
8/20/24 11:42 a.m.

If you go film, what's the plan for sourcing media and developing/prints?

I think Lightroom Mobile has/had a method for going full manual and shooting raw. Not the same as true film, obviously — but could be a gateway to that world.

Are there any good film camera sims for smartphones? (Something that caps you at 24 or 36 frames and makes you wait to see your results?) :-D

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/20/24 11:50 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And is there a budget? What’s a good K1000 with lens now cost? I’m guessing $300-ish. 

That's about right, but perhaps on the low end based on what I've encountered lately.  Body and normal lens.

Edit:  I'm having a hard time believing any modern young person would want to put up with the delayed gratification of a film camera. Thinking the answer might be an actual digital camera with a good lens.  I really liked my Olympus Camedia Zoom from the early aughts.  Also, my Yashica T4, but that's gotten to be something of a cult classic and worth crazy money IMO.  Reminds me I have one I need to sell before people come to their senses.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 11:51 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Body alone from the websites above seem to be had for $100 +/-$15.

Saw a couple kits that were lens, body, and some accessory things for $180.

Right now Ive aimed a bit lower and thinking under $100

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/20/24 12:05 p.m.

I would much rather have an MX than a K1000.  I don't understand why people want K1000's so much.  

I would rather have a number of other film cameras from around 1980 to 1985ish than an MX or a K1000, all with K-type lens mounts, but I don't want to Pentax up the joint unless it's really of interest to the OP.

I wish Fuji X-E line were cheaper used.  X-E1's seem like they're a good $350 or so for good used copies?  An X-E2 and the TTArtisans 25mm f2 would be a great suggestion if that wasn't a $500+ kit.  And I don't think that's the kind of budget we're talking here.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/20/24 12:10 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I'm having a hard time believing any modern young person would want to put up with the delayed gratification of a film camera. 

I may not be a teen, but as someone who is not quite 30, I loved the delayed gratification of a film camera so much that I wrote a whole story about it: 

Vintage cameras: the most accessible way to experience the past?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/20/24 12:49 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
1988RedT2 said:

I'm having a hard time believing any modern young person would want to put up with the delayed gratification of a film camera. 

I may not be a teen, but as someone who is not quite 30, I loved the delayed gratification of a film camera so much that I wrote a whole story about it: 

Vintage cameras: the most accessible way to experience the past?

Cool article!  Good to see youse young-uns take an interest in film.  Only downside is, if I want another old camera, it costs more. laugh

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 12:52 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Some kids are weird, man.  She seems to want to get into cars as well.  Im gonna encourage as many weirdnesses as I can with her.

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 12:57 p.m.

FWIW, the entire staff at our local film store is young–like teens and 20s. And when I go to the camera store, I’m the old guy. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/24 6:51 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
1988RedT2 said:

Some kids are weird, man.  She seems to want to get into cars as well.  Im gonna encourage as many weirdnesses as I can with her.

Hey, just saw this. If she's still into film in 6 months ping me and I'll send you my old k1000 and a couple of lenses. 

It's been sitting in various closets for 25 years but should work fine-would love for somebody to use it again.

David S. Wallens
8/21/24 7:04 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

That is true as film camera prices have gone up. On the plus side, more new outlets for film. :) 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/21/24 7:24 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:
Mr_Asa said:
1988RedT2 said:

Hey, just saw this. If she's still into film in 6 months ping me and I'll send you my old k1000 and a couple of lenses. 

It's been sitting in various closets for 25 years but should work fine-would love for somebody to use it again.

Thanks man, will do.

Hell, maybe her getting into it will get me back into it.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/24 8:23 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I think much of the K1000 love is nostalgia. Most schools here issued them to kids that didn't have their own cameras in photography classes. 

David S. Wallens
8/21/24 8:55 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I think much of the K1000 love is nostalgia. Most schools here issued them to kids that didn't have their own cameras in photography classes. 

Oh, totally. We had them in high school as well. Can’t ever recall a broken one, either. 

To be honest, the fact that the K1000 doesn’t have a split image focusing screen makes it a bit of a challenge for me today. The K1000 SE has the split image focusing screen, though. Ditto my Canon F-1 and A-1. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/21/24 8:58 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

The K-1000's strong suit is simplicity.   No on/off switch,  no fancy controls, just the bare essence of photography.  Twenty years and over 3 million units made.  The glass isn't too shabby either.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
8/21/24 10:42 p.m.

You can get used,once cutting edge, digital professional grade bodies for dirt cheap... talking $50 to $100 which were originally $1500+ bodies.

What was once a near $2k body based on Nikon D200 at release in 2006... https://www.keh.com/shop/fuji-s5-pro-digital-camera-body-12-34-m-p-674554.html

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d200-10-2-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html

Will be near end of their life, but still should be good for a few thousand more shots. Like buying and old Ferrari flagship model for a couple hundred bucks... Or can get commercial, enthusiast grade bodies for a few hundred in a bit better shape with more life left in them.

https://www.keh.com/shop/olympus-pen-e-p3-black-digital-camera-body-12-3-m-p.html

https://www.keh.com/shop/panasonic-dmc-g3-mirrorless-micro-four-thirds-digital-camera-body-black-16-m-p.html

If getting a film camera the K1000 SE is the old standard and the Olympus OM-2N a bit more featured (and metering system is able to be repaired, because analog components on board)... If going to get and old/Classic Olympus the OM-2N would be you're best bet.

https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-k1000-se-black-leather-35mm-camera-body.html

https://www.keh.com/shop/olympus-om2n-chrome-without-shoe-4-35mm-camera-body.html

I've long given up film camera... digital only now. Last film camera I had which I got rid of was a Fujifilm medium format, GS645S.

But if I were to ever get a film camera for whatever reason (can't really think of one) it would be the top dog Olympus I always wanted - the OM-3Ti... the last flagship Olympus OM manual camera made in the mid 90's that is worth more now than they were new. Often thought of designing a digital back for old film cameras... simple one that just collects the shots and you have to connect to computer to see the results - keep the spirit of film shooting but not the hassle and expense of negative/film development. The OM-3Ti is simply one of the sexiest SLR cameras ever designed along with being the last hand built professional cameras... also extremely tough and durable.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/21/24 11:19 p.m.
Vracer111 said:

You can get used,once cutting edge, digital professional grade bodies for dirt cheap... talking $50 to $100 which were originally $1500+ bodies.

What was once a near $2k body based on Nikon D200 at release in 2006... https://www.keh.com/shop/fuji-s5-pro-digital-camera-body-12-34-m-p-674554.html

exactly what I did. In 2018 I wanted a DSLR for track photos and bought a D200 for about $100.

I used my old Nikon F-mount lenses with it until I felt like splurging for auto-focus lenses. I don't think I've spent more than $150 each on subsequent lenses.

Shutter life is rated to 100,000 actuations. I've only put about 10,000 in since buying and it's at 45,000 now.

David S. Wallens
8/22/24 8:07 a.m.

Something else to add to the conversation: Eventually, of course, you can have more than one camera. :) 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b9XpChkmmmnnx0FM5VeVsn0iNiBdCMNIIuk7D2rwPmwTuObdh6YZOzFitv0al8NJ