JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/2/11 10:10 a.m.

We want them to do it. Now there's yet another rumor that it may be happening.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/07/nissan-bringing-back-datsun/

Of course, we've heard this before, too
http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=17751

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
7/2/11 10:48 a.m.

I'm ready. Who else is pumped?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/2/11 11:12 a.m.

If they do it, I hope the roll-out takes long enough for me to get my replica pretty and street legal. I'd love to drive it up to the local dealer lot....

Here's hoping that they produce the holy grail: cheap, light, RWD, manual. I'd love to see some kei car here. Just leave the dancers back in Japan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKeIkyVeCzs&feature=related

Graefin10
Graefin10 Reader
7/2/11 11:17 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Who knows, they might invite you to the formal anouncement in N.A. Wen I first saw this post I was trying to remember the Datsuns I've owned: Red early 60s PU, Late 70s 200SX, and a new 83 ext. cab PU in black and silver.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
7/2/11 11:21 a.m.

Wow...I miss the "old forums".

I like the new forums, but there is a lot of nostalgia there!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/2/11 11:30 a.m.
Graefin10 wrote: In reply to JoeyM: Who knows, they might invite you to the formal anouncement in N.A.

That would rock, but I have a feeling that if they do this, their roll out will go faster than my build.

Maroon92 wrote: Wow...I miss the "old forums". I like the new forums, but there is a lot of nostalgia there!

I only had about 20 posts there, so I don't have a lot of experience with them....

shifty
shifty New Reader
7/2/11 12:24 p.m.

I hope they don't bring it back. The beauty of a "dead" marque is that it will always be what it was - no chance to screw it up.

Plus new Datsuns would make searching for stuff on auction sites a real pain...

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
7/2/11 12:32 p.m.
shifty wrote: new Datsuns would make searching for stuff on auction sites a real pain...

.....like looking for old BMW 2002's?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/2/11 12:33 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Graefin10 wrote: In reply to JoeyM: Who knows, they might invite you to the formal anouncement in N.A. Wen I first saw this post I was trying to remember the Datsuns I've owned: Red early 60s PU, Late 70s 200SX, and a new 83 ext. cab PU in black and silver.
I bet they would invite a few of the real ones to show up first. There are a few in the USA. I like his build, but assume they would want a real one.

I agree, they'll go for an original.

I've been contacted by someone who has a 1937 Type 15 roadster that is in need of restoration, and he knows someone with a restored 1934 and 1937. The Datsun Heritage Museum in Murrieta, California has a 1936.

If the company wanted a 1930s Datsun and didn't have one I expect that they'd have the TN branch of the Nissan Heritage Collection borrow this 1933 from the main collection in Zama:

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/2/11 10:31 p.m.

Does this switch back to Datsun have anything to do with the fact that the car company still does not own www.nissan.com? The motor company continues to sue the computer company.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/3/11 12:24 a.m.

I think I can see what they're trying to do here. Lots of the people who buy Scions don't realize they're Toyotas. I've probably sold three or four of those things to my non-car friends just by telling them that. They're absolutely blown away. They say, "Toyota quality for $16.5?!?!" etc. etc.

Nissan has a marketing opportunity here, the "Datsun" name hasn't yet completely faded from public memory. IMO, if anything, because of the JNC movement among young enthusiasts, it may even be on the rise.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
7/3/11 9:43 a.m.

Sam Witwicky's Datsun 510 in the new Transformers makes me want to knock him out and steal it from him! I saw it in 3D, so I felt like I could...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/3/11 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

I saw that last night and first thing I thought was it looked like something the GRM guys would drag home, condition and all.

On a side note great freakin flick.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
7/3/11 10:26 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote: In reply to Maroon92: On a side note great freakin flick.

I tend to agree. The acting was flat, but the 3D was AWESOME!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/3/11 6:11 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
JoeyM wrote: I've been contacted by someone who has a 1937 Type 15 roadster that is in need of restoration,
Bob C. in Arkansas is my guess here. Nice guy if it is him.

Yes, but I was not going to put his name out there without asking him. He's aware of this thread, and said it was OK to post the pictures he sent me. These are of his car:

...and these are the restored cars he was telling me about

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/3/11 6:13 p.m.

More info: Nissan has decided that Datsun is not for us.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/07/datsun-being-revived-by-nissan-for-emerging-markets.html

even if the project does get the go-ahead it’s not destined for our shores. Instead, Nissan is planning to revive Datsun as an entry-level brand targeted at emerging markets, offering vehicles that cost around $5,000.
4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
7/6/11 10:53 p.m.

I'd give $5000 for a new 510.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
7/7/11 6:26 a.m.

I can't see it. Americans like fancy-pants names like Lexus and Infinity. Datsun? It doesn't sound fancy. It sounds old and stodgy.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
7/7/11 8:00 a.m.

For some reason, Datsun seems easier to say than Nissan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SnLUDR2vl0cIl4gPHOuELtaCA95rU8PUQB66n5pJ4LIqW0hFZ3igWqfUwPDuoJnm