RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/18 11:20 a.m.

I was hoping somebody made a synthetic bark product out of concrete but that doesn’t appear to be the case…please prove me wrong.

The easy button appears to be gravel but I’d like something a little more dressy / refined.

My house is cape cod style (grey, white trim, with prominent used brink features) and my OCD compels me to minimize the overall number of colors / textures to avoid things looking like a big cluster berk of randomness to me.

Also, I’ve got to choose some type of edging.

Any thoughts?

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/26/18 11:34 a.m.

I'd think rock is the best answer, but it doesn't have to be boring gravel.

Slate chips could look more sophisticated than regular gravel, and the gray color could fit your house well.

Related image

Image result for slate chip landscaping

Edging can be metal for crisp lines (either straight or contoured), or if you prefer a more natural look, then adding some stone edging can define your landscaping while keeping the look more organic and natural:

Image result for slate chip landscaping

White marble could work with your color pallete as well

Image result for white marble landscaping

Or get creative and mix/match light with dark sections to create some contrast and visual interest

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/26/18 11:46 a.m.

Crushed Granite is a common answer:

RX Reven'
11/26/18 1:03 p.m.

Thank you STM317 and Aircooled.

The jagged edges and the resulting cool / moist effect their shadows create make slate a really good solution.

Extra credit is awarded for tying in nicely with my grey cement shingle roof.

Well done hive.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/18 1:05 p.m.

rake heavily.

RX Reven'
11/26/18 1:37 p.m.
captdownshift said:

rake heavily.

Word!

My house was in one of the So. Cal. evacuation zones the other week and I raked through the night filling my green refuge / trash containers along with several bags.

I spent Thanksgiving in No. Cal. not far from the Paradise fire location and the local news ran a story about a woman who had been evacuated from a hospital just after having a c-section delivery / epidural.

She was temporarily paralyzed from the waist down when the ambulance that was transporting her got caught in the fire and burnt up…O-M-G, can you imagine how ridiculously bad her situation was???

Anyway, a policeman responded and had her sheltered in place inside some homeowner’s garage while he, the ambulance driver, and a nurse raced against the clock to rake everything away from the garage.

All the surrounding structures burnt down but that one garage made it...simple things like raking can completely alter an outcome.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/18 1:45 p.m.

^It's all true, except for the part about what they did to prep the garage:

https://abc13.com/mom-and-newborn-nearly-burn-trying-to-escape-fire-/4714291/

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/26/18 1:47 p.m.

Depending on the brick used on the house that could be an option too, both for the space and the edging.  I've seen it done with terra cotta roof tiles broken up inside standing tile barriers around trees and it was surprisingly good looking. Broken bricks would be very similar. 

Some of the granite countertop sellers in my area cut up droppings and accidents into circle wedge shapes that can be stacked into fire rings. That shape could certainly be used just as a ring around a yard obstacle too.

RX Reven'
11/26/18 3:03 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

SFGATE Article – November 13th, 2018

“Ferguson and Foster cleared brush around the house, hoping to buy time before the fire eventually reached the garage.”

Let me guess, in your disparate attempt to save face, you’re now going to argue that they didn’t specifically mention the use of a rake – durp

Whatever, I just want some non-flammable ground cover and slate is a great suggestion that hadn't occurred to me. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/18 3:43 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
GameboyRMH said:

SFGATE Article – November 13th, 2018

“Ferguson and Foster cleared brush around the house, hoping to buy time before the fire eventually reached the garage.”

Let me guess, in your disparate attempt to save face, you’re now going to argue that they didn’t specifically mention the use of a rake – durp

I did search extensively for any mention of a rake or raking in relation of the story (before posting my previous message) to make sure I wasn't missing anything. One doesn't typically clear gutters with a rake. Not the first time a specific mention of raking came out of nowhere I guess...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/26/18 5:15 p.m.

What about a nice moat?

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/26/18 6:13 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

That's not crushed granite.  Nice rounded pieces.    More like creek bed stones.

Looks nice anyway

RX Reven'
11/26/18 6:52 p.m.
iceracer said:

In reply to aircooled :

That's not crushed granite.  Nice rounded pieces.    More like creek bed stones.

Looks nice anyway

Agreed but I just asked Watson the dog which he preferred and he said “ruff” so the smooth river stone stuff is out.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/18 7:08 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

no way to put a patio in if you have a moat. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/26/18 7:35 p.m.
iceracer said:

In reply to aircooled :

Looks nice anyway

The crushed or decomposed granite is not the stones, it’s the brownish pathway.  It’s a pretty popular for paths and general ground cover.  I think you are limited to brownish and grayish colors.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/26/18 7:36 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Floating dock? laugh Besides, there could be plenty of crocodiles in there to take care of any ahem, problems that arise.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TJxHya6OAeolQrhEwPoL8bPdvkMkCxzanoZOisASgwGRTVpCWZFn0bzAovVQtttb