1 2
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
12/22/23 9:11 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

If there are no "local comps" then go past 100 miles and consider the BAT ones.  Just saying "There are no local comps" and disregarding the non local ones is a E36 M3 answer

Keyboard hero, find something better to do.  

In a case like this, yes you may need to search nationally. Even then, sometimes you come up empty. There's nothing wrong with using a car on BAT or C&B if it's sold fairly recently.

Look up a few posts. They told him it needs to be within 100 miles and they don't use auctions. You say search nationally and recent auctions are ok, so which is it? Based on your post, them saying 100 miles and no auctions is a E36 M3 answer no?

They offered him $6k. He can't replace it for $6k, so what are his options? I'm not the insurance expert, you are, so what's your advice? 

As far as "attacking" when you "help" you always take the companies side, that's not help. Me questioning the company is not an attack. 

No, not always taking the insurance company side.  Actually, I do my best not to take any side, rather just give behind the scene info and advice to move forward.

In this case, as I said before, I think a BAT is a reasonable thing to present.  Depending on the condition of OPs car I may or may not offer the same money, but it gives a good starting point.  Sometimes just taking an automatic transmission version of the same car can help.  With this car being a unicorn it's not easy for either party.

My advice is as I said before, go up the chain of command.  The vast majority of adjusters are not car people.  They aren't trying to cheat anyone out of anything, they just don't understand a car such as this. No guarantee the claim manager will either, but they are much more likely to understand the big picture and give the proper result. 

alphahotel
alphahotel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/16/24 11:24 a.m.

Insurance company would not use BAT or carsandbids results as comps.  My only option was to hire a private appraiser to argue with the insurance company.  Based on other comps (even looking nationwide) I don't think I was going to get more than $1k or so over what they were offering.  I talked to a private appraiser who didn't think it would be worth me paying him.

I entertained thoughts of buying a parts car, doing the mechanical work myself and working with a local body shop who said they would be fine with me supplying the parts.  Under other circumstances I think that would have been fun and a great learning experience.  However there is too much going on in my life right now for a project like that and also I don't think my wife would want to drive it anyway...

Lesson learned: if you have an rare car in good condition, get agreed-value insurance.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to alphahotel :

how bad is the crash damage?

alphahotel
1/16/24 5:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to alphahotel :

how bad is the crash damage?

About $8k or so.  The insurance company estimator's estimate was $7100 but I know she missed a few things.  See pic in this thread.  Hood, right fender, structure that supports the fender, driver's door, bumper cover, crash bar, lower control arm (I think, wheel was wonky but I didn't actually get underneath to check), windshield, and the driver's airbag popped.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/24 2:14 p.m.

In reply to alphahotel :

what's the buy-back $ from insurance? you might find someone on here willing to pay you that plus something for your time and effort to get it and fix it themselves.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
1/17/24 7:26 p.m.

In reply to alphahotel :

what's the buy-back $ from insurance? you might find someone on here willing to pay you that plus something for your time and effort to get it and fix it themselves.

Just don't sell it to that one guy and his Lawyer buddy. They know the SAAB game....

alphahotel
1/17/24 9:38 p.m.

In reply to alphahotel :

Too late for that, sorry.  Copart taking it away was what reminded me to update the thread.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
44P69S22adTlAsmFojcYj195H8QBP7fdjKALXqXoVJTAc5lIgJc1zjeL9pc8SEO0