John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/23/21 9:06 a.m.

Well, I am safe from disruption to my daily life.  I did not win the 1 Billion dollars.  

However, what have our Michigan friends been up to?  Anyone been to the Kroger in Novi, MI this week?

That's enough money to get a V8 Corvair running.devil

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/21 10:29 a.m.

Not me either. Still have not checked my #s though for a boobie prize.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
1/23/21 11:40 a.m.

I actually won the big prize but there was a conspiracy that changed the numbers.wink

Too soon??

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/23/21 11:47 a.m.

Not me either.....and I had plans for that money too!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 11:51 a.m.

a buddy of mine last week gave me a $20 paying me back for something or other. He told me at the time if I played my cards right in the $1B lotto I could turn that $20 into $10...

Out of pure laziness I still have the $20. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
1/23/21 7:12 p.m.

$2 on the QP woo hoo!!! off to buy that gazilliion dollar diesel PU........late

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 7:19 p.m.
John Welsh said:

That's enough money to get a V8 Corvair running.devil

I'd still bet on 2025.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 7:32 p.m.

Not it

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
1/23/21 7:52 p.m.

Right state, wrong side.  Didn't win.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/21 12:11 p.m.

I ended up winning $2.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/25/21 3:13 p.m.

I hope they take the lump sum and buy the Lions....

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/25/21 3:25 p.m.

wrong side of the dang state here

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 3:37 p.m.

so if you took the cash payout here in Indiana you'd end up with approx $550M. If I put that into our savings account and accrewed the .25% interest we make on that account and without ever touching the principal you'd have $1.375M to live off of. Put that into something that actually gives a 2-3% return and you're looking $11M in income. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/21 4:31 p.m.
bobzilla said:

so if you took the cash payout here in Indiana you'd end up with approx $550M. If I put that into our savings account and accrewed the .25% interest we make on that account and without ever touching the principal you'd have $1.375M to live off of. Put that into something that actually gives a 2-3% return and you're looking $11M in income. 

but you'd have to pay long-term capital gains on that $11M so it's really only $8.8M, hardly worth the effort LOL

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/25/21 4:35 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I like this game.  Would you put that all in one bank or would you spread it all around?  I couldn't trust a single bank with $550m.  What would be the group's theoretical investments?  Because 2-3% doesn't sound so great either.  (on 550m, sure, but not comparatively)

AaronT
AaronT Reader
1/25/21 4:45 p.m.
Crxpilot said:
bobzilla said:

I like this game.  Would you put that all in one bank or would you spread it all around?  I couldn't trust a single bank with $550m.  What would be the group's theoretical investments?  Because 2-3% doesn't sound so great either.  (on 550m, sure, but not comparatively)

I'd stick about $100m into a boglehead 6-fund.

I'd earmark $50m for a track in upstate SC and would also earmark $20m for a kart track in Asheville, NC. 

Beyond that, I dunno? That much money needs to be converted into something that generates jobs.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/21 4:46 p.m.

FDIC or NCUA only covers $250k per depositor.  Takes a lot of banks to cover $550M at $250k per pop...

Kramer
Kramer Dork
1/25/21 8:27 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I used to live a few miles away from that Kroger.  I bought a house in Novi in 2006, and lost my arse selling it in 2012.  Exactly the opposite of the lottery.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 7:08 a.m.

I already found the perfect island for sale in the Maldives that has an airport on it. So that would make easy racetrack conversions. It's "only" $65M so there's plenty of money for other activities.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BWKAjQKDvTYuXA4aIquHwxpfYUzgWspf6QDVNpMqeh3xzp9DLgWDVublAaWXO1P0