1 2 3
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
3/25/13 12:20 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: If I do require screws, how long should I expect to be out of the office?

I don't know about you but it only takes me a couple minutes...

G'night folks, I'll be here all week, remember to tip your waitress!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/13 9:18 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: If I do require screws, how long should I expect to be out of the office?
I don't know about you but it only takes me a couple minutes... G'night folks, I'll be here all week, remember to tip your waitress!

Your poor, poor, significant other.

Hal
Hal Dork
3/25/13 5:14 p.m.

Looking at your x-ray it looks like they might be able to get away with just one screw to pull it back together. I would guess that they wouldn't want you to put any weight on it for 3-4 weeks so the bone could start to knit.

I ended up in a wheelchair for 2 1/2 months before they let me start walking again. PT was started after 3 weeks but they didn't want me trying to walk on it.

m4ff3w
3/26/13 11:47 a.m.

At imaging center now for follow xray. As long as it hasn't shifted, no screws required.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
3/26/13 11:51 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

Fingers crossed.

I go in tomorrow morning to find out if they want to cut my knee open. I'm super duper excited about the prospect.

m4ff3w
3/26/13 1:38 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: Fingers crossed. I go in tomorrow morning to find out if they want to cut my knee open. I'm super duper excited about the prospect.

Good luck with that.

My x-rays came back good, no hardware for me.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/26/13 6:31 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: At imaging center now for follow xray. As long as it hasn't shifted, no screws required.

Well, that's good to hear. Still stinks that it happened, though.

m4ff3w
5/7/13 4:55 p.m.

No hardware needed. I'm slower w/out the crutches than with.

m4ff3w
5/7/13 4:57 p.m.

My doctor kept commenting how it didn't smell bad. I used a blow gun with the air compressor to keep it dry and get rid of the sloughed skin.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
5/7/13 5:27 p.m.

Hey, congrats! I've never had to wear one, but I've heard stories..

m4ff3w
5/8/13 6:28 p.m.

Well crap. After about 18 hours of freedom, my doctors office called and let me know the results of the X-Ray were not stellar. He's concerned about nonunion. So I got instructions to to bear weight and I got some new hardware.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/13 6:34 p.m.

That's a tough looking boot. The bears will really go for that.

Seriously though, that sucks. Gotta do what the Doc says though! Mend up soon.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
5/8/13 7:06 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Lesley wrote: Oh man! I did that too, holy hell it takes a while for a broken ass to stop hurting.
At least you can fix a broken ass. It's when they wear out you run into real problems.

I never broke mine, it is cracked though.

Speedy recovery to you!

Hal
Hal Dork
5/8/13 7:40 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Well crap. After about 18 hours of freedom, my doctors office called and let me know the results of the X-Ray were not stellar. He's concerned about nonunion. So I got instructions to to bear weight and I got some new hardware.

That's why I thought you would get at least one screw in it. I got the screws/plate and one of those boots to wear for the whole time. No cast though, Thank Goodness.

m4ff3w
5/8/13 8:01 p.m.

Yeah, I figured on screw(s) as well.

I walked the dog short distance once last night and once this morning, before I got the call from my doctor.

Ankle was swollen a lot when I took off my shoe at the orthotics place. The area of the fracture is sore as heck this evening.

Le sigh. I was hoping to go to PickNPull Saturday.

m4ff3w
5/10/13 5:19 p.m.

New X-Ray from today. Won't hear from my doctor until the morning - but sure does look like I re-broke it, but then again, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

Hal
Hal Dork
5/10/13 6:29 p.m.

Get that leg up in the air and iced down to reduce the swelling. I had to wait another 5 days before mine was operated on because it was too swollen. Had even checked into the hospital, etc. and when the doctor took the wrap off he said no op until I got the swelling down.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/13 6:46 p.m.

Good advice Hal. I had good luck alternating 30 min ice with 30 min heating pad on low.

Good luck with getting screwed! It happens to the best of us!

m4ff3w
5/10/13 8:49 p.m.

Thanks, Hal.

Toymanswife
Toymanswife New Reader
5/10/13 9:07 p.m.

Yep. Did that nearly four years ago. Follow instructions completely. Ice 20 on and 20 off. They dared me to put my toe on the ground after they did the pins. I feel for you.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
5/10/13 9:10 p.m.

I broke my foot in two places (including a place I'm not supposed to have) last spring. I spent 3 months in a boot. Broke it again in the process. Doc said "It's never going to heal right. Either your foot is going to hurt and you need good shoes, or surgery". I have some awesome shoes now. That was at least the 2nd/3rd time i'd broken that foot (I've broken my feet a total of 4 times now between the two, I just can't remember if I broke the left then the right, or the right the first two times, the 3/4 breaks were both on the right). It sucks man.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
5/10/13 9:46 p.m.

I fractured my hip last summer, wasn't that bad.
That being said, I ruptured my spleen at the same time, so the hip took a back seat to the pain from that and the 8 inch incision they made to clean up the mess in my lower torso.

Best of luck healing!

m4ff3w
5/11/13 10:14 a.m.

Doctor called - he's sending me to an Orthopaedic doctor. Should find out more Monday.

viking
viking New Reader
5/11/13 11:46 a.m.

Hope you don't get "screwed"---

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/13 3:04 p.m.

ugh.. this is such bad news. After all that and still not "heel"ed

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L1Lf53X6AHvibyNzeTwdyjLVeGhYqC4PvWThr196DoTAGpGmMUY3ivaxKIlW5NlF