1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/28/15 10:27 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: BTW: it doesn’t matter how much a receptionist loves their UPS guy, the decision to use a carrier probably doesn’t fall to the person manning the front desk anymore.

That's true.

Still doesn't change the fact that the face of the company is the driver.

Last place I worked that did a lot of shipping negotiated a lot with the various carriers for rates, etc. That process and decision was completed by the Purchasing Manager.

However, if the person manning the front desk ever had the SLIGHTEST complaint about the service in any way, I GUARANTEE the contract would have been changed immediately.

The decision may not be in the hands of the front desk, but the influence most certainly is.

And if Volvo makes the darned thing and it runs over a customer, there will be Hell to pay.

The friendly, uniformed, professional guy with the mobile input scanning device who is able to ask, "Do you need anything special", or "Do you want me to vary the pickup tomorrow to help you", or "How did your daughter's wedding go last week?" IS the face of the business.

Can some of that be programmed? Sure.

But loosing the last vestige of the personal touch is a problem for many (most) businesses, particularly their front line sales force. When the ONLY thing companies can be measured by is the price and statistical on-time performance, it will shut out a lot of companies.

Companies think about this kind of stuff.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/15 7:28 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I have never worked at a place like that. Right now myself and the other piles of meat I work with are viewed as liabilities. We take days off, get sick and hurt, they are required to give us lunch breaks and 8 hours off every night wether we need it or not. If there was a way they could automate the buses and get rid of us they would do it tomorrow.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/29/15 6:39 a.m.

In reply to Wally:

I am not saying companies treat their employees right.

I am saying they know what they are selling, and that their front line employees are important to that.

They just suck at telling you.

(YMMV, particularly working in the public sector. Public sector organizations have no need to serve the public).

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/29/15 3:39 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: People won't get on a train with no one at the controls, and those are on a track. Good luck getting them in a car.

The Skytrain rapid transit system in Vancouver BC has been running driverless since the mid 80s. No-one even notices anymore.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tn5EbKkSzRI3h5aeD8I1iDF2LjcE6I3BjpO9VhXHJQO8iAZTVq6wezjK5OwSl0Bd