cghstang_chris
cghstang_chris Dork
9/24/24 1:24 p.m.

Among the many issues with a house we're looking at is the shower shown below:

fix this shower

With a normal shower curtain installed, water would just run right out from the side of the 'shelf' under the shower head.

What are some GRM options for making this shower usable, preferably with minimal or zero removal of what's already there?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/24/24 1:29 p.m.

I would go with a frameless glass shower enclosure across the whole width, but that's in the $1500-$2000 range for a nice custom one.

For a more budget-friendly option, use a regular curtain the full width of the upper part.  Install a piece of 1/4" glass, matching the shelf depth, from the top of the shelf to a few inches below the curtain rod.  Use a channel on the bottom and right sides, set in sealant.  You can also use minimalist brackets on the side.

[edit]  Like this, but only the size of the area above the shelf:

golfduke
golfduke Dork
9/24/24 1:30 p.m.

Cheapest/Easiest option- They make little plastic diverters that you could stick/silicone onto the flat that would divert water down and into the tub area...

Best option-  Have a local glass company cut you a rectangular pane that runs up either to the ceiling or to a height with a finished edge... silicone/fasten into place

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
9/24/24 1:32 p.m.

How about a rainfall shower head on a long pipe out from the wall, so that the water falls in the middle of the tub and not on the shelf  

Otherwise I like Duke's ideas 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/24/24 1:36 p.m.

Extend the shower head so that it's well past the shelf.

If it's centered over the window you can put on a raincoat and look out to passers-by on a sunny day. extra points for thunder effects.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/24 1:41 p.m.

Unless that's a short tub which they make, I've only heard of 5' shower rods and curtains. Along with the shelf width glass you'll need some sort of bracket to hold that end of the shower rod.

Edit: Never mind, they make up to 8' shower rods. Just need two shower curtains.

Amazon.com: shower rod 6 foot

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/24/24 1:42 p.m.

Regardless where the shower head dumps water, it will still get on the shelf, and unimpeded, run off the edge onto the floor.  I agree with the glass partition, shelf to shower head height.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/24 2:33 p.m.

Buy a glass corner shelf the same width as the existing shelf and glue it in place with silicone or similar. 

Quarter Circle Glass Shelf 10 inch x 10 inch | by Dulles Glass, Size: 10 x 10

Edit: You could also build something similar out of Starboard. It cuts and sands similar to wood but is plastic and mildew resistant. 

2nd edit: IMHO, those shower heads are terrible. I'd start by getting rid of it. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/24/24 3:49 p.m.

Put a pitch to the shelf, 1-2" higher in the rear.  Still holds shampoo but water heads to the tub.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/24 5:30 p.m.

Instead of glass could you use Lexan from the big box for a less complicated answer than custom cut glass?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/24/24 5:31 p.m.

This is another perfect example of why we need time machines.  You could go back to whenever the moron built  that, or renovated to create that, and smack him in the back of the head.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/24 5:46 p.m.

Find a cheap aquarium that fits the shelf, fill with soil and plants to absorb the water that hits it instead of running off?

Or the glass divider sounds like the easiest and quickest option. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iDa4WfrndVUEhroxTVfRKPic0LauczUg6qJGChFsTSVhoMv0kNy88yd3ULf9Hc7k