1 2 3 4
psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/12 9:27 a.m.

So the brown paisley roof on the pinto in the "Nice Pinto!" $2012 thread got me thinking....

What are the WORST, tackiest, most tasteless, most boneheaded options ever offered on cars? By all means, hotlink a picture.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/1/12 9:28 a.m.

For the record... i LOVED the paisley roof on the Pinto, and it just re-affirmed my decision to re-do the dead headliner in my MX6 in paisley.

Look for added class coming to you in the GRM $2013 Challenge.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
11/1/12 9:29 a.m.

Features an optional whale penis leather interior.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 9:35 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Features an optional whale penis leather interior.

They actually caved and removed the option after the public "save the whales (dicks)" outcry.

GameboyRMH
11/1/12 9:37 a.m.

My contribution: Hilux Vigo package. They basically pre-rice & gangsterize your Hilux with "dubs" and all the chrome E36 M3 they could find, and then pack the interior with gadgets:

It's like it crashed through a Pep Boys.

(those are not stock rims but they come with something almost as low-taste)

This one has stock rims:

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
11/1/12 9:43 a.m.

Even as a 14 year old kid I was embarrassed for the Ford motor company

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/12 9:57 a.m.

Any "Black Gold" package on any car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
11/1/12 10:00 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Any "Black Gold" package on any car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo

I would SO rock that..

GameboyRMH
11/1/12 10:01 a.m.

Black and gold are like nuclear energy. There is potential for great good if done just right, and incredible horror if done not quite right.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/1/12 10:09 a.m.

weird. I was looking around for pics of old plymouth barracudas the other night, and came across the Mod Top optioned cars. Just google "plymouth mod top"

They are awesomely tacky. I would rock the hell out of one of course. Yes there is matching interior trim.

GameboyRMH
11/1/12 10:11 a.m.

^That will be hard to beat

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
11/1/12 10:14 a.m.

GameboyRMH
11/1/12 10:23 a.m.

^ I dunno, it's strange and slightly trashy but there's no visual horror to it. If it was highly trashy/ridiculous like whale dick interior then it would be a real contender.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/12 10:25 a.m.

Some of the Porsche 924 interiors were memorable.

Lotus took that to another level.

Personally, I was always offended as a kid by the Aerostar Sport. Available exclusively with an automatic. The Aerostar was a crap minivan to start with, this just made it worse.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
11/1/12 10:28 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I didn't think visual horror was a requirement, but have you ever seen one in person, or sat in one?

GameboyRMH
11/1/12 10:29 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: I didn't think visual horror was a requirement, but have you ever seen one in person, or sat in one?

No I haven't, I imagine there would be serious fading after a while.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/1/12 10:30 a.m.

jcwhitney.com

Just start flipping the pages. Fuzzy steering wheel covers, winky the turnsignal cat, illuminated door lock knobs, the list goes on without end. Especially if you find some of their older catalogs, for things no longer carried.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
11/1/12 10:33 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

It was hideous. Unless you've seen it, you can't appreciate just how tacky that much denim and orange stitching is.

psteav
11/1/12 11:01 a.m.

For the record, I kinda like the Mod Top. On the right car in the right neutral color, it can be....interesting.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
11/1/12 11:09 a.m.

If we limit the discussion to manufacturer installed (not owner accessories) then I'd nominate the fake convertible - vinyl top on steroids.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/1/12 11:13 a.m.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Lotus Esprit Jim Clark edition - british racing green exterior, yellow leather with green piping interior. Yellow wheels and a yellow pinstripe really finish the look off.

Hell yeah

I mean, wow.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/1/12 11:43 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Looks like a John Deere tribute.

psteav
11/1/12 12:05 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

I had that same steering wheel in my '94 Saturn. It looked slightly less out of place there. Parts-bin engineering FTW!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/1/12 12:06 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Lotus took that to another level.

I want that in my life!!!! What was that in?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/1/12 12:09 p.m.

Here's a plaid that works. This is so awesome.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hXNK3CUnG8SgVfNCMlCQzkccCCdvw1qB5ldesIig3IyubBjgbsg4aUlQOR7CvBJn