1 2 3 4
failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/1/12 12:13 p.m.

more modtops

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/12 12:15 p.m.

Oh no! Now I want a Black and Gold car with a Mod Top and a Plaid interior!!!

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
11/1/12 12:17 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

How in my 32 years of being alive have I never heard of these before?

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/1/12 12:21 p.m.

I dont know. I just found out about them about a day or two ago. I think society as a whole is trying to sweep them under the rug or something. Here is a registry and a ton of photos.

http://www.mooresmopars.com/modtops.html

I need to make a mod top barracuda on Forza for legitz.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/1/12 12:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Personally, I was always offended as a kid by the Aerostar Sport. Available exclusively with an automatic. The Aerostar was a crap minivan to start with, this just made it worse.

How do you feel about the police model?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/1/12 12:41 p.m.

Safety Neck Belts.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
11/1/12 12:59 p.m.

Probably not as questionable as some of the examples posted so far, but I've always been greatly offended by those tall, overly organic, fake spoilers that came on the later Mistu Eclipses.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/1/12 1:07 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:

dude... I would so rock that with my denim jacket, pants and shirt ;-)... quad denim

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/12 1:10 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Safety Neck Belts.

WUT? I'm guessing that has to be tongue-in-cheek?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/1/12 1:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Lotus took that to another level.

meh... Just call it the Sir. Jackie Stewart edition and it's kosher...

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/1/12 1:18 p.m.

In reply to psteav:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chrysler-halts-production-of-neckbelts,810/

its pretty berkeleying funny.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/1/12 2:10 p.m.

Were any of you guys around for the van craze in the 70s? This is one of 109 made up by Ford and Levi's and given away in a contest.

Not really a "factory option" until just before the craziness ended.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
11/1/12 2:32 p.m.

Funny that a pinto inspired this thread and it brings to mind the BRIGHT ORANGE interior in a pinto we parted out (Dad used the front end for his street rod and I put the engine in my mustang) long ago. It really did look factory to me. Amazing. it was like hunter safety blaze orange...

Clem

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
11/1/12 2:37 p.m.

YJ Renegade, Why?!?!?

• Lee
turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 2:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Some of the Porsche 924 interiors were memorable.

Hey, I like the Pasha interiors, though the tan one is just a bit odd. It was available on the 928 as well. My buddy has the first style in his 924 Turbo, he calls the car Shaggy, for Shagadelic, because of the interior :)

The red crushed velour interiors used in the Chrysler's in the 80's were more atrocious, IMO. I should know, I've owned several (the less offensive gray interiors were destroyed by UV within a few years, but that damned red wouldn't die! The light blue was a close second.)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
11/1/12 2:58 p.m.

Hard to find a perfect picture but back when new, my neighbor had this interior in his Cadillac Deville Coupe. 1975 seems about right.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/1/12 3:04 p.m.

ahh yes don't sleep on the brougham interiors, with all their pillowy goodness

given the nature of this thread, we seem to be doing a pretty good job of derailing it with stuff that is awesome, not terrible.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/1/12 3:09 p.m.
failboat wrote: ahh yes don't sleep on the brougham interiors, with all their pillowy goodness given the nature of this thread, we seem to be doing a pretty good job of derailing it with stuff that is awesome, not terrible.

No kidding! Those 924 interiors are beyond awesome. The pillowy crap above, not so much.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 3:15 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
failboat wrote: ahh yes don't sleep on the brougham interiors, with all their pillowy goodness given the nature of this thread, we seem to be doing a pretty good job of derailing it with stuff that is awesome, not terrible.
No kidding! Those 924 interiors are beyond awesome. The pillowy crap above, not so much.

That looks like someone took the cushions out of some PVC-frame deck chairs and just laid them on their car seats.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
11/1/12 3:25 p.m.

The cavalier "sports car" option. You got a sway bar, seats that look vaguely bucket like, plenty of plastic body cladding, and an even worse interior. As with the cavalier, truck engine, loose izuzu 5 speed gearbox, and perpetually broken power windows were standard. I paid $460 for mine over 2 years ago, I plan to replace it with an old S class to make up for that awful decision.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
11/1/12 3:27 p.m.

Regarding the Mod Top Mopars, they were a '69 and early '70 option, trying to tap into the Flower Power stuff at the time. I think they came out mid-year in '69 and were killed off very early in the '70 model year. Like before the end of 1969.

The interior was a separate option from the top. You could have the top with a plain interior, and a Mod interior with a plain roof.

Failboat's hotlinks pretty much cover all of them. The Yellow/brown were limited to the Barracudas. In '69 it was the Barracuda coupe only, but the '69 fastback had a vinyl top option. The Barracuda version seem to be the most known.

The Satellite had a blue/green top, the Coronet & Dart had the green/yellow combo. I like the look of the blue/green on the Satellite.

Since they didn't sell well when new, word was the remaining vinyl was sold off to textile companies. I'm 80% sure my mom had a picnic table cover in the early '70's that matched the Barracuda top.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 4:42 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
16vCorey wrote:
That looks like someone took the cushions out of some PVC-frame deck chairs and just laid them on their car seats.

'Murica!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/12 5:01 p.m.

How a Mod Top interior with vinyl seat covers?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/12 5:02 p.m.

Flat paint. That E36 M3 is going to look so crap in 5-10 years.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/1/12 5:02 p.m.

at least they are period correct. I think.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LKrjRCI7bIeGLUOXVWCg0PmKofztREBedToaFyZ5LnKCEtUtAeOHArtUXhrLisFG