1 2 3 4 5
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/28/12 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Absolutely! It is open to all luxury sedans. Porsche Panamera, Maserfifi 4porte, Rolls Royce Phantom, BMW 7 series...

I really want to use the Arnage because I HATE them. Nothing in this world will make me happier than crashing one of those monstrosities!

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/28/12 10:53 a.m.

First step for me would be purchase chunk of land via shell buyers, build dragstrip, roadcourse, runway combination.......include firing range, a couple hangars for use as paddock, garage space, and airplane parking. Then buy a p38, a couple cars I want, and then lobby Indiana for performance drivers education.....

mtn
mtn PowerDork
11/28/12 10:56 a.m.

First thing I'd do is go to work the next day, as I'll have a liquidity problem. Although I might take a vacation day.

On my next free day, I'd drive straight to the golf club that I worked at for 10 years, talk with the GM, and have him set up a meeting with a specific person that I used to caddy for. I'd put most of the money in his hands, but would take a million here and there and put it in the hands of other money managers.

But I would take an initial ~$500,000 to play with

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
11/28/12 10:56 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A939QRRSNV4

DukeOfUndersteer
11/28/12 11:14 a.m.

Gonna hire the original cast of "The Fast and the Furious" to reenact the original movie, on stage, with no props...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/12 11:15 a.m.

I would be Ken Block without a flat bill hat.

DukeOfUndersteer
11/28/12 11:16 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/28/12 11:20 a.m.

I'd hire the A-Team.....if I could find them.

RossD
RossD UberDork
11/28/12 11:21 a.m.

Fly to germany and pick up a new Porsche 911 at the factory and do the country side tour with the girlfriend. Probably have to buy my dad one too, tour and all.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
11/28/12 11:25 a.m.

Fly around country buying LeMons/Chump rides for a year. Buy a couple hundred acres locally. Build the modest dream home complete with "Back 40" track, shooting range. Maybe a kart track. Buy the building I currently run my shop out of and expand. Go on lots of vacations. Live happily ever after. Oh, and cars. There would be a few cars. Mostly off-the-wall sleepers.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/12 11:32 a.m.

Bullet proof vest and body guards

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
11/28/12 11:44 a.m.
  1. Find someplace remote and mostly tax free.
  2. Move there.
  3. Keep out of sight.

Toys are easy to buy.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/12 11:54 a.m.

Okay, since we're being serious...

Drop $200K into about 10 different accounts at different Credit Unions just to have it there. Throw some cash in a safe deposit box "just in case". Give my IRA a massive contribution. Pay off our house, and probably the rest of the immediate family's houses as well. Buy a nice bit of property closer to the fam with a modest house and build a big shop. Buy a vacation place next to the fam in Florida and Cali.

Then comes the fun stuff!

Step one would be a giant track of land and build a race track. Think Nurburgring, but not a copy, following the natural features, through our glorious hilly woods up here in BFE. Then charge $10 a lap.

Next would be a racing complex within the ring. SCCA/NASA style road course on par with VIR, a smaller shorter track for HPDE/training, a dragstrip (1/4 mile), a kart track, and a giant autocross/skidpad. Basically make the racing capital of the world.

Next, I'd buy IMSA and the rights to Trans Am and Can Am. Setup the most awesome series in the world.

Of course while all that construction was going on I'd have to buy some cars. Wifey gets a Tesla Model S and the Mustang GT she wants (05, Windveil Blue, cloth, Auto). Mom gets the Edge Sport EcoBoost she wants, StepDad gets the CTS-V. Dad gets a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and a new trailer. He'll probably want to keep his Cessna 310, but I'll try to entice him into a jet (to take me places, lol) and a cool old warbird.

And for me? A rotisserie to restore the Javelin... Okay, okay! I'd probably pick up a Boss 302 and a Boxster S initially. Probably do a FIAT 500 Abarth for a DD. Then I'd go vintage shopping. I need to find and buy back Dad's 70 Mark Donohue Javelin and Gramp's 68 AMX 390. Then I'd like a Ferrari F355 Spyder (Fly Yellow, 6-speed), an FD RX-7, and a GTO.

Then I'd probably spend all summer at my tracks and all winter building bizarre cheap beaters.

The interest would so be buying some warbirds for a museum though. I'd actually probably go jets. How many F-14's, F-15's, and F-16's are getting saved in flying condition? F-4, F-104, F-86, Mig-29, Su-27, Mig-15, Mig-21, and an A-10...

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
11/28/12 11:59 a.m.

I'd use it to buy stock in the company I work for. Get a seat on the board of directors. Become a pain in the ass.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/12 12:07 p.m.

Id buy some art. A Picasso or a Garfunkel.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
11/28/12 12:11 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Bullet proof vest and and body guards

I'll sell you this one for $400.

Me. I'll buy my own rally team.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/28/12 12:14 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Step one would be a giant track of land and build a race track. Think Nurburgring, but not a copy, following the natural features, through our glorious hilly woods up here in BFE. Then charge $10 a lap. Next would be a racing complex within the ring. SCCA/NASA style road course on par with VIR, a smaller shorter track for HPDE/training, a dragstrip (1/4 mile), a kart track, and a giant autocross/skidpad. Basically make the racing capital of the world.

I'm not as ambitious.

I'd build a UK style Sprint and hillclimb course in Mi with several different configurations then set up a Michigan speed series with events every month in the summer. There would also be a dedicated Euro stle rally cross track for wheel to wheel and SCCA Rally cross year round. Set it up as a not for profit to get others to do the leg work while I hold control of it. Pass it off to the Detroit Council after I pass away at 110 years old.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/28/12 12:44 p.m.

Talking head on TV said:

1. Lawyer up.

2. Get a good tax guy.

3. Live normally a bit.

4. Get used to saying No.

5. Get ready to lose friends.

Adrian_Thompson
11/28/12 12:52 p.m.
914Driver wrote: 5. Get ready to lose friends.

Shouldn’t need to do that. I have friends that are broke and I have friends who are multi-millionaires living on trusts. The poor ones don’t expect handouts from me, and I don’t expect hand out’s from the rich ones. Friends are friends and shouldn’t be affected by the size of my, or their pocket book.

DukeOfUndersteer
11/28/12 12:53 p.m.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/12 1:15 p.m.

lawyer up

finish the work i've got deposits on

pay my guys to finish the rental house i'm rebuilding

buy 50 POS $400 beaters off craigslist and plate them all/park in my yard to piss off the township zoning people who got mad that i had a couple parts cars in my driveway for 6 months.

put half in a vault, invest the other half in low risk stuff and live comfortably off the profit?

oh yeah, new ZR1. 2 of them. one for me, one for my dad, so we can race. and an LS9 crate motor for the belair.

i need to go buy a ticket first so i can win.

Adrian_Thompson
11/28/12 1:20 p.m.
patgizz wrote: buy 50 POS $400 beaters off craigslist and plate them all/park in my yard to piss off the township zoning people who got mad that i had a couple parts cars in my driveway for 6 months.

Glad your going to enrich peoples lives and make them happy with your money

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/28/12 1:22 p.m.

remember you only get half the stated value if you take it in cash ... then the gument gets nearly half ... after that .....

me I'd keep a goodly sum to play rich dude with... give the rest to my broker ... you can find 3% tax free investment all day long ( higher if you look harder ) and live tax free for the rest of my life

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/28/12 1:33 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I think its closer to 65% for cash option, if you select payments, you set it up to pay into a trust or corporation.....that way if you die before its done paying out, the money doesn't end.

I'd cash option probably, then get creative with donations for deductions so that the gov't gets less and less of their share.....

Adrian_Thompson
11/28/12 1:39 p.m.

Also doesn't it count as capital gains on investment so not taxed as highly?

I'll let you know once I've collected and checked with my new team of accountants. I may drop off the radar for 6 months first though

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NABnc4BVhdVbigzHBDa1p3QDdW37joM3Klk0Yn2VdL997551Q4HQbMjjibvGjitr