dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/19 11:27 a.m.

Flying through DFW this morning, I noticed this old airport southeast of DFW, near Grand Prairie. Thousands of cars parked there now. Are they diesel VWs awaiting their fate? Is the airport ever used for fun things like auto-x?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/14/19 11:41 a.m.

Looking at the open ramp on the right, I would say yes?

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/14/19 2:23 p.m.

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curious-texas/2019/03/26/hundreds-cars-parked-dallas-old-air-station-curious-texas-investigates

"She said the city of Dallas has been storing vehicles at the air station for nearly 16 years. The city currently has 245 vehicles that are actively being used by various departments, 611 vehicles that will be auctioned to the public throughout the year and 152 salvage vehicles at Hensley."

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/19 9:16 a.m.

Thanks for answering the question! Very interesting to read about. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/19 11:54 a.m.

It's also a source of a legal battle between the DOD and City of Dallas over cleanup of the site cause lead and other heavy metals..etc from 60 years of military use... 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/15/19 7:17 p.m.
spacecadet said:

It's also a source of a legal battle between the DOD and City of Dallas over cleanup of the site cause lead and other heavy metals..etc from 60 years of military use... 

Unless the DOD claims the city caused the problem, they should be on the hook for cleanup.  I’m surprised solvents aren’t a problem as well.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/15/19 7:47 p.m.

Looking a little closer in Google Maps, it appears most of the vehicles are the same thing except for color.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/19 8:58 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
spacecadet said:

Unless the DOD claims the city caused the problem, they should be on the hook for cleanup.  I’m surprised solvents aren’t a problem as well.  

The issue lies in the timetable... it started a few years ago ago when the navy basically said cleanup wouldn't be done in the timeline it was supposed to be... by a factor of 15 years on top of the original 15 years

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/02/14/clean-deadline-nears-dallas-battling-navy-old-hensley-field

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qSsn6p4xLh1bN6KHKa3W1COyNt2utzNeHakt9LQeQt5E8eH5bf2qjmatHGBnSwBz