1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/9/24 11:47 a.m.
hobiercr said:

The 41yo breaker from Japan is killing it.

That crew she's from- body carnival- is legendary. I'm waiting for the men's rounds- there's this Korean crew, morning of owl...and this one breaker, b-boy pocket...I'm REALLY hoping he's here. Guy is insane. 

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
8/9/24 11:48 a.m.

Watching replays of the Park Skating finals.

Love the skating culture on display. Only in skateboarding do you see someone finish a run and the competitors who they just outscored run up and hug them.

(I'm sure it's not *only* in skating, but it's still not the norm in the overwhelming majority of sports on display.)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/9/24 12:03 p.m.

Not breaking question-

When did it becoming "artistic swim" and not "synchro swim"?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/9/24 12:35 p.m.

India vs 671, best round yet.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/9/24 12:37 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Not breaking question-

Syncro implies that all movements are the same and synchronized?  Artistic gives more leeway and may more accurately reflect whats going on?

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
8/9/24 12:41 p.m.
Beer Baron 🍺 said:

(I'm sure it's not *only* in skating, but it's still not the norm in the overwhelming majority of sports on display.)

Honestly one thing that has absolutely delighted me about what I've seen in this year's events is the amount of love all of the athletes are showing each other during and after their events, even with significant language barriers.
Maybe it's because everyone is so relieved to have some normalcy back in the competition after Tokyo, but I can't recall ever seeing so much support and celebration, hugging, pats on the back, etc. among competitors. Even the way they're copying each other's celebrations is endearing (so far I've seen one athlete copy Biles' hand-over-face celebration and another celebrate by posing like the Turkish sharpshooter, for example).

(Edit to add photos)
Photo of Simone Biles doing her signature ending to her floor routine above a photo of LaBonta doing the same pose after she scored source 
Sweden's Armand Duplantis celebrates his victory with the new celebration sweeping the Games. Rojé Stona celebrated his victory in front of fans inside the Stade de France. source

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/9/24 12:57 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Mndsm said:

Not breaking question-

Syncro implies that all movements are the same and synchronized?  Artistic gives more leeway and may more accurately reflect whats going on?

From what I think I heard, the name change happened this Olympics. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/9/24 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

Simone's thing was the end of her routine, not a celebration. When you hear the music, it makes more sense. Technically. I'm sure she and her team put it in for a reason. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
8/9/24 1:07 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Got it, still, the other athlete copied it as a celebration, which is the part I was pointing out.
I also know that the turkish sharpshooter's pose is him doing the sharpshooting. But regardless, it became a celebration meme.
I have been quarantined in a room without a TV all week. My olympics feed has been and continues to be mostly secondhand.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/9/24 1:17 p.m.

So breaking seems to have some skill stratification, but there's absolutely zero enthusiasm or personality stratification. It's like an event full of nothing but Ewa Swabodas. Even the Aussie lady, who doesn't quite have the moves of some of the younger competitors, is 100% there to party and put on a show and is dancing her ass off and everyone loves it.

And I love the variation on display. You see competitors with dance backgrounds, or gymnastics, or even martial arts, and routines leveraging ethnic and cultural styles. 

Kind of feels like this is going to be the curling of this Olympics and break containment this weekend when it starts hitting the prime time broadcasts.

JG Pasterjak
8/9/24 1:22 p.m.

(Also Logistx got robbed against Nicka)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/9/24 2:07 p.m.

Women's 4x100 final was a great race.   Its too bad the Men's team botched the handoff

hobiercr
8/9/24 3:39 p.m.

Breaking final had a mashup of a beat track with A Horse with No Name by America. Did NOT expect that track.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/9/24 4:00 p.m.

One thing not mentioned about breaking- endurance. The winners had been dancing since about 11est, and finished near 3:30. And how many times did they compete?  

To endure all of that is pretty amazing. Especially since you have to be ON right away to progress. 

hobiercr
8/9/24 4:48 p.m.

A little Raygun back story. Love her even more.

https://apple.news/AmulsmGsxSeGtiFPh1dQrKA

JG Pasterjak
8/9/24 4:59 p.m.
hobiercr said:

A little Raygun back story. Love her even more.

https://apple.news/AmulsmGsxSeGtiFPh1dQrKA

Icon.

She may not have the knees of the 19 year olds but on pure rizz and commitment and love of the game she was solid gold.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/24 5:41 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Mr_Asa said:
Mndsm said:

Not breaking question-

From what I think I heard, the name change happened this Olympics. 

I think we should call it water dancing.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/9/24 6:06 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Nicka was throwing HUGE game though, and I think the burn game actually hurt logistix a little bit. Nicka blew my mind. She's got a huge future. 

JG Pasterjak
8/9/24 6:26 p.m.
Mndsm said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Nicka was throwing HUGE game though, and I think the burn game actually hurt logistix a little bit. Nicka blew my mind. She's got a huge future. 

Yeah that was a tough draw, too, with Nicka, Syssy and Logistx all in the same bracket. I haven't watched the eliminations rounds yet. We're saving that for tonight. But I think I know who my odds-on faves are at this point. 

Also very cool that they don't relly get full recognition for repeating moves and sequences, so they have to be constantly raising their game through the rounds.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/9/24 7:02 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Watching em right now. They do not disappoint. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/9/24 7:23 p.m.

Okay, so there's Olympic basketball and there is Olympic equestrianism.

Is there an Olympic event of HORSE? 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/9/24 8:42 p.m.

Celine at the beginning, apparently Red Hot Chili Peppers will inflict California upon everyone at closing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/9/24 9:07 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

At least LA is the next host.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/24 9:31 p.m.

I've never watched a ton of track and field events,  but I like Ato Bolden as an announcer. He teaches me stuff about the sport that I wouldn't  have picked up on my own. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
8/9/24 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

And Leigh Diffey brings the right amount of urgency and excitement to the play by play call.  They're a really good combo.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8k3D3LvTJEzwIiNCKbQkBnqaY8C9oyP26tbmnF2cHbqj1B3IRbuIOyLMG94zXgZX