1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/10/24 10:08 a.m.

Did anyone else find the NBC/Peacock edit of the finals of women's breaking to be really poorly mixed and announced? The announcers were aggressively tepid and, though the music is ostensibly a component of this event it was actually impossible to hear at all in the broadcast mix. It seemed like the planners at NBC wanted this event to flop.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/10/24 11:57 a.m.
brandonsmash said:

Did anyone else find the NBC/Peacock edit of the finals of women's breaking to be really poorly mixed and announced? The announcers were aggressively tepid and, though the music is ostensibly a component of this event it was actually impossible to hear at all in the broadcast mix. It seemed like the planners at NBC wanted this event to flop.

Yeah I had this same conversation with my wife this morning. Certainly someone on site had a cable to run a line out from the mix table to the broadcast mix. That does not seem like a difficult technical or logistical challenge.

Although, the other rhythm sports kind of do the same thing. figure skating, rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, all have lousy audio mixes. If nothing else just mic a speaker for god's sake. 

brandonsmash
8/10/24 12:35 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

There are so many ways to solve this issue. So many obvious, known, proven ways. 

Line out would be super simple. Even a room mic would do. You don't have to blast the music loudly but at least something, anything at all in the mix would be nice. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/10/24 1:14 p.m.

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! 

Nailbiter of a Women's Soccer game.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/10/24 5:22 p.m.

BB win even with a lot of turnovers. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/10/24 5:30 p.m.

Them dancing around like they were a play-in team that somehow won it all is laughable .

brandonsmash
8/10/24 8:22 p.m.

Watching Lasha Talakhadze win another gold in weightlifting is a real treat. That guy is just phenomenal. I'm surprised he had competition as close as it was, but that sure made for compelling viewing! 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/11/24 9:27 a.m.

Jordan Chiles has been stripped of her bronze medal. It has been re-awarded to the Romanian gymnast.

Apparently there is a 1 minute time limit for filing an appeal.  Chiles' appeal was 4 seconds over the time limit. 

What a clusterberkeley. For both gymnasts. The judges really screwed up. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/11/24 9:31 a.m.
SV reX said:

Jordan Chiles has been stripped of her bronze medal. It has been re-awarded to the Romanian gymnast.

Apparently there is a 1 minute time limit for filing an appeal.  Chiles' appeal was 4 seconds over the time limit. 

One universal truth of this entire olympics appears to be is the judging needs a complete overhaul. It's been a MESS. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/11/24 9:42 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
brandonsmash said:

Yeah I had this same conversation with my wife this morning. Certainly someone on site had a cable to run a line out from the mix table to the broadcast mix. That does not seem like a difficult technical or logistical challenge.

Although, the other rhythm sports kind of do the same thing. figure skating, rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, all have lousy audio mixes. If nothing else just mic a speaker for god's sake. 

Because the internet isn't totally spying on me- it's a totally odd coincidence that my feed is absolutely clogged with olympic breaking stories right now. Three are pervasive. The percieved embarassment that was the Aussie dancer's performce (it was bizarre to say the least... at one point she did the Homer Simpson on the floor thing where you run in a circle laying down) the "WHITE GIRL WEARS DURAG" crowing- yall don't know E36 M3 about breaking. Yes, she hass on a headcover. I was CONVINCED through prelims she had alopecia and y'know, it was there for a reason, but some closeups revealed braids. More than that, it's berkeleying protection if she goes into a headstand, spin, etc etc etc. But no, let's make it racial. Morons. THE THIRD STORY is how it's already not slated for LA, and not currently slated for AU in 2032 or whatever. It seems like it was a massive uphill battle to get it on deck in the first place, and the breaking community is divided as to how it was handled in the first place, though they were extremely happy to have it on the roster. The comments section.....I can't say anything about that because this isn't reddit and I'll actually get a timeout for the E36 M3 i'd say about that. 

Personally I think it was an excellent inclusion (cartoonish execution of it aside.... those berkeleyin' mc goobers should have been thrown in the Seine) and more of a reflection of modern sport culture than say..... dressage. Breaking can happen in my driveway. BMX can happen in my driveway. Shooting... well the Longwood PD might have a problem with that..... Dressage...?? Can't nobody afford a horse. Can't barely afford horse MEAT. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/24 10:20 a.m.
Mndsm said:
SV reX said:

One universal truth of this entire olympics appears to be is the judging needs a complete overhaul. It's been a MESS. 

It's been like that for decades and both summer and winter.  That's why I rarely watch any of the judges sports- including breaking.  They can't bother to actually show you what was good or bad or whatever when you think they were better or at least equal.

The only "draw" is that someone like Simone Biles will do something nobody else does.  Which is kind of unusual, as I see the X game events evolve into everyone doing the same trick.  Same for diving (since they require them to have some variety- they still all do the same dives).

And that doesn't even cover the rather obvious way that judging can be manipulated.

JG Pasterjak
8/11/24 10:37 a.m.
Mndsm said:
JG Pasterjak said:
brandonsmash said:

Because the internet isn't totally spying on me- it's a totally odd coincidence that my feed is absolutely clogged with olympic breaking stories right now. Three are pervasive. The percieved embarassment that was the Aussie dancer's performce (it was bizarre to say the least... at one point she did the Homer Simpson on the floor thing where you run in a circle laying down) the "WHITE GIRL WEARS DURAG" crowing- yall don't know E36 M3 about breaking. Yes, she hass on a headcover. I was CONVINCED through prelims she had alopecia and y'know, it was there for a reason, but some closeups revealed braids. More than that, it's berkeleying protection if she goes into a headstand, spin, etc etc etc. But no, let's make it racial. Morons. THE THIRD STORY is how it's already not slated for LA, and not currently slated for AU in 2032 or whatever. It seems like it was a massive uphill battle to get it on deck in the first place, and the breaking community is divided as to how it was handled in the first place, though they were extremely happy to have it on the roster. The comments section.....I can't say anything about that because this isn't reddit and I'll actually get a timeout for the E36 M3 i'd say about that. 

Personally I think it was an excellent inclusion (cartoonish execution of it aside.... those berkeleyin' mc goobers should have been thrown in the Seine) and more of a reflection of modern sport culture than say..... dressage. Breaking can happen in my driveway. BMX can happen in my driveway. Shooting... well the Longwood PD might have a problem with that..... Dressage...?? Can't nobody afford a horse. Can't barely afford horse MEAT. 

Agree on all counts. Except I didn't mind the hype guys so much. Sure they were a little annoying but they were also playing to a multilingual crowd of mostly normies, so they had to do kind of a "theme park" version of the real thing. Hey, at least the audio sucked so you couldn't hear them half the time.

And I'm now a full-on Raygun stan. Sure, her actual skills were not to the level of the other dancers, but from a scene relevance and pur love of the game standpoint she basically Aussie hip hop royalty. And every interview I've seen with her just makes me love her more. 

I'd love to see it become a regular Olympic fiture, but, honestly, even more than that I'd love to see this be the catalyst for it having a more regular presence on traditional sports outlets. I'd love to flip on the Peacock app or ESPN2 or CBSSports and see major breaking events on the options list ince in a while. I mean, I can watch cornhole—CORNHOLE—multiple times a week. Pickleball has made it to major broadcast networks. Hopefully this exposure helps breaking take another jump into the mainstream.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/11/24 10:45 a.m.

I suppose you're not wrong about the hype men. It was like watching BMX. That's one of the few sports in the olympics (breaking...strangely...despite being barely able to walk being another) that I know fairly well off the rip. I don't need the playskool edition. So when I hear people explain it for those that do, it grates on my nerves. 

JG Pasterjak
8/11/24 10:49 a.m.

actually, my biggest complaint with the Olympics is that we send professional athletes to compete in every sport that has professional ranks. Basketball, tennis, golf all have professional teams vying for Olympic gold.

Yet our professional wrestlers stay home while (admittedly talented) amateurs compete instead. I know those wrestles are tough, but I'm not sure how many of them are tough enough to get their ass beat with a folding chair. I didn't see a single wrestler from any country walk onto the mat with a stepladder. Do better, Olympics.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/11/24 10:54 a.m.

They might have sent John Cena, but you can't see him. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/11/24 11:16 a.m.

If it weren't for Tuarasi, Gunn would have been the biggest waste of a roster space these Olympics .  They both took spots from people who deserved it more.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/24 11:28 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Wouldn't have done much- the coach didn't seem to play the players who were hot and made a difference anyway.  Glad they won, but like the mens team/game, I don't watch BB for a reason.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/11/24 11:58 a.m.

I've coached for 28 years now.  I have two state championships, four runners-up, and two more final-four appearances.  I havn't watched NBA since after the Spurs won their last championship.  The elimination of the big man has made the pro game unwatchable to me.  It's just three ball, and it's starting to ruin the high school game now too.  Everybody wants to shoot threes, even the big kids.  Footwork from post players is absolutely terrible these days, because in warm-up before practice, they're shooting threes.

I wish there was a way to fix the three point line without removing it.  Maybe make it so that it's only effective the last two minutes of a quarter, but that still changes the line-up you have to have on the floor.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/24 1:19 p.m.

Last game of this Olympics- womens marathon.  And now I'm bummed I missed the mens because they are using a large chunk of the Paris-Versailles route that we ran back in 2009. So very cool- and the climb was very memorable- oof.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/24 1:59 p.m.

That was impressive- the woman who won the marathon also medaled in the 5000m and 10000m race.  That's a lot of very high level running in a pretty short amount of time.  And she just out sprinted the rest at the very end of the marathon.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/11/24 2:22 p.m.

And set an Olympic record in the marathon, to boot.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/11/24 8:52 p.m.

That closing ceremony was berkeleyING EPIC!!!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/24 9:36 p.m.
Mndsm said:

They might have sent John Cena, but you can't see him. 

Actually, I'd pay money to see Nunez, the Cuban wrestler handle Cena like my dog does a chew toy.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/12/24 7:30 a.m.
SV reX said:

USAG is protesting this.  They have video evidence that there was intent to appeal at 47 seconds and aa followup at 55 seconds.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/12/24 9:10 a.m.

Well that was fun. See you in 2 years for Skeleton and luge and hopefully a return of ski ballet after the success of breaking. 

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I52XZTx3SFVwIqx9t6qhwTfd21VLzDeuz0daH1V18JJWISTsKblAvT7gXYu69qDH