1 2 3
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
12/1/09 12:23 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: ....let Hyundai humping ....
blocking that thought before it gives me nightmares. This is a great place. Everyone is a little strange, but great. Can you imagine the block party if we all lived on the same block... There wouldn't be a stock car for miles... Half of them wouldn't run and the rest would be transplant victims that ran like scalded dogs.

I've often wondered about finding a way to create or "invade" a subdivision, where all the local guys either buy or rent properties in the same one. Something like this:
http://golfcoursehome.net/

..or this:
http://www.hardeeairpark.com/

FindlaySpeedMan
FindlaySpeedMan Reader
12/1/09 12:31 a.m.
Toyman01 said: There wouldn't be a stock car for miles... Half of them wouldn't run

Those would be mine. Welcome to the board.

Also, I've gotta do my homework, or something. I'm completely flummoxed by all the acronyms in mndsm's post, and that doesn't usually happen. POS BPV? Piece of S--- what?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/1/09 6:23 a.m.

bypass valve?

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/1/09 8:01 a.m.

Bypass valve is correct. I run it in recirc to prevent the MAF from freaking out, so no BOV here. The stock one was the leakiest pile of junk this side of a 2g DSM BPV..... horrible little plastic trollop, that item. It now resides at the bottom of my toolbox.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/1/09 8:19 a.m.

Mmmmm...... Did somebody say Turbo Mazda?

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/1/09 10:15 a.m.

There may have been mention of a turbo Mazda of some sort lol.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
12/2/09 8:44 a.m.

I'm amazed that I understood half of what you put in your explanation, but what I don't understand is why would someone doubt that a more efficient, better breathing engine with well engineered parts would create more power, even with less boost? I'm flummoxed, bewildered, and confused that anyone would even question that.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/2/09 9:18 a.m.
Carrera4 wrote: I'm amazed that I understood half of what you put in your explanation, but what I don't understand is why would someone doubt that a more efficient, better breathing engine with well engineered parts would create more power, even with less boost? I'm flummoxed, bewildered, and confused that anyone would even question that.

dude, its a fanboi forum. Anyone who starts to doubt the data collected by super street or C&D ads...im mean bolt on dyno tests ...gets bashed, banned, and ridiculed. Im sure if they could they would also come to your house and give you noogies and put sand in your bed too. Remember, not all car forums actually like cars, some just pretend to like cars so they can have a flimsy excuse to point and flame.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
12/2/09 9:50 a.m.
FindlaySpeedMan wrote:
Toyman01 said: There wouldn't be a stock car for miles... Half of them wouldn't run
Those would be mine. Welcome to the board.

Id hate to deal with our HOA though.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
12/2/09 10:52 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
Carrera4 wrote: I'm amazed that I understood half of what you put in your explanation, but what I don't understand is why would someone doubt that a more efficient, better breathing engine with well engineered parts would create more power, even with less boost? I'm flummoxed, bewildered, and confused that anyone would even question that.
dude, its a fanboi forum. Anyone who starts to doubt the data collected by super street or C&D ads...im mean bolt on dyno tests ...gets bashed, banned, and ridiculed. Im sure if they could they would also come to your house and give you noogies and put sand in your bed too. Remember, not all car forums actually like cars, some just pretend to like cars so they can have a flimsy excuse to point and flame.

Quoted for truth. That's one of the reasons I pretty much quit the vwvortex A2 board.

Them: "..well, the intake should be good for 10hp, the header for 15, and the chip for 30. Why am I only seeing 4hp on the dyno?" (and yeah, they blow money on the dyno like they blow money on parts)
Me: "Well you see, they're all connected. You have to balance everything together to get any-"
Them: "OMG SHADDAP OL MAN U SOUN LIEK A TARD!"

What's that joke about the "The Fast and the Furious" becoming the `Last and The Curious"?

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
12/3/09 10:21 a.m.

I think that people who still believe that an intake is good for 10 hp (at the wheels) also believe in dragons, unicorns and free beer.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/3/09 10:57 a.m.

There's no shortage of "Ricer Math" on some of the other forums. How somebody thinks they can increase horsepower by 50% without taking off the valve cover has always been an amusement to me.When I first got into the Neon scene, the principal site was peopled by folks who had ridden the wave of success the model enjoyed in years past. Many realized that time had passed and moved on, later replaced by kidz who barely know which end of a wrench to use. Thankfully I was there at a time where I could learn what I needed to know, but now the site is a wasteland of car washing burger flippers intent on "building" a 300 HP Neon with a week's paycheck, buying from eBay, JCWhitney, and PepBoys. As we all know, that ain't gonna happen.

Thank the Lord and All that is Good for GRM: it ramains our respite from the land of RICE (Racecar Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements).

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/3/09 11:20 a.m.
Carrera4 wrote: free beer.

This still exists. You just gotta run fast

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/3/09 1:36 p.m.

Quoted for possibly another long winded answer.

The problem is, I blew em away by using real math. While I am no engineer, I like me some numbers and am willing to crunch them endlessly to get to the results. A LOT of the initial hatred came from my explanation of why PSI was an arbitrary load of crap as far as I'm concerned. When I explained it to them, I started using a fancy, unheard term in the world of fanboi boosting- CFM. (Cubic feet/min for those who are really freakin tired of my abbreviations). My explanation was pretty simple as far as I was concerned, but it raised the ire of the previously known "experts" of said forums to no end. Basically, these guys were regarded with much respect because they owned the dyno numbers. Dyno numbers mean very little to me as well, because we all know that something as simple a 10* temp shift can radically alter the performance of the car, not to mention how the dyno is tuned, who's dynoing it, what dyno is being used, and what the operator ate for lunch. That, according to them was my first mistake, was openly challenging convention.

My explanation went something like this-

Everyone likes to post PSI this and PSI that. I ask the question, what does PSI really mean? That just means how much pressure is being put on the air in order to compress it to a given density. Easy so far, right? Well, PSI is also a function of of CFM, though not as easily as you might think..... PSI is a 2 dimenional function.... and CFM is 3d. This is where I started losing people. So I tried to break it down by using a water analogy. Say you have a fire hose, that is set to spray a pre determined amount of water- I think I used a gallon. gallon, being a measure of volume, or what kind of space it takes up, functions similarly to what CFM is.... because CFM is a function of how much air you can cram into a given space over a period of time. Raising or lowering the pressure level, or PSI, can affect how quickly you move that volume of water. I have NO idea how much fire hoses flow, or at what PSI.... so my math was a little foggy. BUT say you have a fire hose that sprays at x PSI. It will take say, 10 seconds to move a gallon of water through a little hole. Raise the PSI of said fire hose, and you can move that same amount of water much faster through the same opening. The SAME can be accomplished by keeping the pressure at the same level, but widening the opening. You double the available space to move an object through and you can move twice as many objects through that space in a given time. No extra pressure required. Basically what I did, was increase the space that the air had to move, without increasing any pressure. (This arguement also got me out of an HOV lane ticket once, though the cop told me NEVER to try that crap again or he was arresting me for....something).

The other part that baffled them is how compression affects the air in relation to heat. Heat is the enemy when trying to cram air into an engine, we all know this. We also know that when a turbo spins more PSI than stock, it is compressing the air further. To put it REAL basic like, compressing the air makes the molecules all angry like. Think of it like this- when you increase the PSI on fire hose (this is the same hose from before) sure, you move more water. However, the flow of the water becomes much more erratic and harder to control. Air is kind of the same way. Not to mention the added heat from a turbo functioning at near capacity.... and this is ALL bad. So, by allowing the parts to work a lot more easily together, I managed to create a situation of greater efficiency as well. Turbo is happy, because it can move as much air as the ECU wants it to move, without having to work as hard. my air is happy because it's not all crammed into a tiny little area. My charge temps are lower because both my turbo and my air are happy, and not getting all angried up with heat. Car likes this, an operates more efficiently as well.

That arguement led to some crude comments about my mother from someone who was SO disappointed with the platform he sold his ms6 (sharing the same engine) and bought a Caliber, so he could wave his car-peen around with big numbers. My reply was simply that his numbers meant absolutely nothing to me, as all it proved was he could spend a load of money to have someone else make a car go fast. Who cares how it ran, it put down a big number. I then corrected his grammar, as he had stated that "Your an idiot, go play in traffic". I caught a lifetime ban shortly thereafter.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/09 5:20 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Quoted for possibly another long winded answer. The problem is, I blew em away by using real math. While I am no engineer, I like me some numbers and am willing to crunch them endlessly to get to the results. A LOT of the initial hatred came from my explanation of why PSI was an arbitrary load of crap as far as I'm concerned. When I explained it to them, I started using a fancy, unheard term in the world of fanboi boosting- CFM. (Cubic feet/min for those who are really freakin tired of my abbreviations). My explanation was pretty simple as far as I was concerned, but it raised the ire of the previously known "experts" of said forums to no end. Basically, these guys were regarded with much respect because they owned the dyno numbers. Dyno numbers mean very little to me as well, because we all know that something as simple a 10* temp shift can radically alter the performance of the car, not to mention how the dyno is tuned, who's dynoing it, what dyno is being used, and what the operator ate for lunch. That, according to them was my first mistake, was openly challenging convention. My explanation went something like this- Everyone likes to post PSI this and PSI that. I ask the question, what does PSI really mean? That just means how much pressure is being put on the air in order to compress it to a given density. Easy so far, right? Well, PSI is also a function of of CFM, though not as easily as you might think..... PSI is a 2 dimenional function.... and CFM is 3d. This is where I started losing people. So I tried to break it down by using a water analogy. Say you have a fire hose, that is set to spray a pre determined amount of water- I think I used a gallon. gallon, being a measure of volume, or what kind of space it takes up, functions similarly to what CFM is.... because CFM is a function of how much air you can cram into a given space over a period of time. Raising or lowering the pressure level, or PSI, can affect how quickly you move that volume of water. I have NO idea how much fire hoses flow, or at what PSI.... so my math was a little foggy. BUT say you have a fire hose that sprays at x PSI. It will take say, 10 seconds to move a gallon of water through a little hole. Raise the PSI of said fire hose, and you can move that same amount of water much faster through the same opening. The SAME can be accomplished by keeping the pressure at the same level, but widening the opening. You double the available space to move an object through and you can move twice as many objects through that space in a given time. No extra pressure required. Basically what I did, was increase the space that the air had to move, without increasing any pressure. (This arguement also got me out of an HOV lane ticket once, though the cop told me NEVER to try that crap again or he was arresting me for....something). The other part that baffled them is how compression affects the air in relation to heat. Heat is the enemy when trying to cram air into an engine, we all know this. We also know that when a turbo spins more PSI than stock, it is compressing the air further. To put it REAL basic like, compressing the air makes the molecules all angry like. Think of it like this- when you increase the PSI on fire hose (this is the same hose from before) sure, you move more water. However, the flow of the water becomes much more erratic and harder to control. Air is kind of the same way. Not to mention the added heat from a turbo functioning at near capacity.... and this is ALL bad. So, by allowing the parts to work a lot more easily together, I managed to create a situation of greater efficiency as well. Turbo is happy, because it can move as much air as the ECU wants it to move, without having to work as hard. my air is happy because it's not all crammed into a tiny little area. My charge temps are lower because both my turbo and my air are happy, and not getting all angried up with heat. Car likes this, an operates more efficiently as well. That arguement led to some crude comments about my mother from someone who was SO disappointed with the platform he sold his ms6 (sharing the same engine) and bought a Caliber, so he could wave his car-peen around with big numbers. My reply was simply that his numbers meant absolutely nothing to me, as all it proved was he could spend a load of money to have someone else make a car go fast. Who cares how it ran, it put down a big number. I then corrected his grammar, as he had stated that "Your an idiot, go play in traffic". I caught a lifetime ban shortly thereafter.

Lemme see if I can dumb this down for you....
I'm no engineer (not yet anyway, working on that), but the Boost gauge on a car in reality is measuring the resistance the air in the intake is seeing, By porting everything out and making it flow better, you have lowered the resistance in the intake; therefore, the boost gauge is no longer reading 16psi, but is still moving the same amount of air. No resistance = no boost, gauge reading, want a really easy explaination? Even if you hooked the boost gauge directly to the output opening of a turbo, and then removed the charge pipe, you would have no boost, and the turbo would free spin, and anyone who plays with turbo's understands this. (even my wife! Who is not a performance nut (yet), is laughing at this post and saying "this is a really easy concept to understand WTF is wrong with people?") In theory you could remove the charge pipe of your car. Dyno it, then reattach the charge pipe, play with the boost settings till your gauge reads no boost, but you would still be making more power than you did with the charge pipe disconnected.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/3/09 6:07 p.m.

I get that part. The trick is here, because there IS less resistance, and the air is flowing better, it's allowing the car to get more air in. Somewhere up there ^ a few long winded posts ago,I mentioned the ms3 ECU is really frickin goofy. Because it's looking for an arbitrary airflow number to hit, and there is more air coming in than usual, it's actually pulling boost. No one believed me until another car on the opposite side of the country with a different but equally ported mani did the same thing, to almost the same boost pressure.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/09 6:28 p.m.

I ment dumb it down, to make it easier to explain to someone else, I'm not doubting your explianation or math. Oh yeah, WELCOME!!!! it's always nice to have another person to bounce frankenswap ideas off of.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/3/09 7:57 p.m.

Ah, wasn't sure where you were going with that, I was afraid I was going to have to whip out my video camera. And indeed... I am the resident king of bad swap ideas in the local mazda board.... love to bring it to a national level.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/3/09 8:12 p.m.
Carrera4 wrote: I think that people who still believe that an intake is good for 10 hp (at the wheels) also believe in dragons, unicorns and free beer.

don't believe in dragons or unicorns.... do believe in free beer.... just don't get it very often...

but with my Integra LS the baseline pull (stock... w/ K&N filter) was 105 hp... a little low... the wheels must have been a smidgen out of line... but the number did repeat with 3 separate pulls... with the AEM V2 CAI the next pull read 121hp... several wks later.. therefore I have to assume that weather played a big part... then several wks later again the DC sport header showed 131hp once again weather had to have something to do with the "huge" gains...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/09 8:31 p.m.

Somebody on here understands what he is talking about...Good post mndsm. Too bad some people spend more time reading ads rather than doing research on upgrades. The RX-7 forums aren't any better.

I'm kind of surprised the ecm is pulling boost. I'm not an efi person, but I would have figured it would shoot for a PSI before a CFM. Is there any way you can fool it into giving it back. Might be nice to have.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/3/09 8:35 p.m.

Yeah, all I need is a Cobb and a custom flash and I'm golden. Silly ms3 ECU. Some people have been going along with MBC's and working it out, but the fuel map on this damn thing is the most confounded thing ever.... so I figure on wanting control of my fuel as well.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
12/4/09 10:28 a.m.

mndsm - what a fantastic explanation and analogy. This should make sense to a 5 year old. I especially like your point about PSI being a 2 dimmensional measurement and CFI being a 3 dimmensional measurement - well put!

Your (not you're!) grammar is excellent as well!

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/4/09 10:32 a.m.

Thanks. I was hoping that some day, someone outside of my group of local gearhead friends would understand what I was talking about, and why I consistently argue that PSI is worthless without knowing the flow rate in CFM of a given turbo.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/4/09 10:39 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Thanks. I was hoping that some day, someone outside of my group of local gearhead friends would understand what I was talking about, and why I consistently argue that PSI is worthless without knowing the flow rate in CFM of a given turbo.

I argue this constantly with some of the less-educated Honda guys here...

The most notable being the guy with the built D16 running like 16psi on a T25.

He just couldn't understand why my car on only 9psi was MILES faster. He kept insisting that my boost guage was broken, because he was running almost twice my PSI, so it's got to be faster, right?

No... it's flow. PSI is an arbitrary number that doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to power.

To this day, he still doesn't understand that 10psi on a GT35R for example is a ton more power than 10psi on a T25. He thinks bigger turbos are for bigger motors.

I didn't even want to give him a ride in my car at 16psi.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/09 11:24 a.m.

I tried explaining this to a vendor here at work this morning...... After 30 min of it I gave up. He then invited himself over to help with the challenge car......ummm thanks but no thanks, I don't plan time to work on it, when I get an hour or so I just go jump on it. Honestly....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UaoABPpUagn8G6D9yfSWlYwuoDy9yj31f60xFdjK4At74NXJRqsQtPZjsrK9211K