1 ... 5 6 7 8
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/9/23 11:18 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Totally agree that 1) he didn't take the trouble to every fact check himself before posting and 2) would ignore any fact checking anyone else did for him.

With mad skillz like that he could have had a successful career in public relations or corporate journalism. laugh

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/23 11:52 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I generally read "misinformation" as something with intent to deceive.  Same with lies. 

I don't think Frenchy had malicious intent, I think he was just often wrong.  He didn't really seem to have an agenda.

Exactly. Lying is saying something that you know is not true. It's deliberate deception. Frenchy seemed to have his wires well and truly crossed as often as not, and he sure couldn't read a room, but he never seemed to have malicious intent. 

There are people who very obviously go looking for an argument, and they deliberately worsen the experience here for everyone else.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/23 1:41 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

When people show him the facts to correct his misinformation he either refused to view the information or just keep going on saying the same. When you are presented with the truth and its sources, but you still decide to repeat the incorrect E36 M3 over and over for months then you are basically lying. Frenchy isn't dumb nor is he incapable of reading and comprehension. He just didn't give a berkeley to change his mind. He does it on other forums too. EV's are a growing segment for GRM. If new readers come to the forum in search of EV discussion and they see every EV thread trolled until locked then they will not want to join or subscribe. Malicious or senile, he was bad for business and harmony. 

I liked him sometimes though. 

If Calvin Nelson made a U tube video about correcting Frenchy's misinformation then maybe we would have gotten through to him. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/9/23 3:08 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Funny, that almost exactly describes the other guy, too.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/9/23 3:18 p.m.

This thread has many pages and a lot of comments. 

Almost like we bring back Frenchy guy to argue his point back into circulation.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/23 4:04 p.m.

I'm just bummed you guys apparently nuked my parody mguar account as well.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/9/23 4:25 p.m.

I suspect I'm probably the only person here who's actually met Frenchy in person...some years ago I visited him.  He showed me around his place, including the gigantic garage that was filled with all kinds of interesting automotive stuff, and we had a good long conversation about house construction, Jaguars and V12s, and all kinds of other things.  I thought he was a personable and intelligent guy, and enjoyed the time I spent with him.  However, I can't explain the obsessive nature of his posts in the last couple years.  I wish he had been able to turn down the volume.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/9/23 6:30 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I suspect I'm probably the only person here who's actually met Frenchy in person...some years ago I visited him.  He showed me around his place, including the gigantic garage that was filled with all kinds of interesting automotive stuff, and we had a good long conversation about house construction, Jaguars and V12s, and all kinds of other things.  I thought he was a personable and intelligent guy, and enjoyed the time I spent with him.  However, I can't explain the obsessive nature of his posts in the last couple years.  I wish he had been able to turn down the volume.

I would love to meet Frenchy, listen to his stories and see all of the eclectic stuff he's collected over the years.  I was able to ignore his obviously incorrect posts and wouldn't have banned him had it been my call but I'm really glad that it wasn't my call and I'm not going to criticize our hosts for doing so. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/9/23 6:51 p.m.
psteav (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm just bummed you guys apparently nuked my parody mguar account as well.  

I'm not sure why the universe needs that kind of energy. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/23 1:22 a.m.

Holly crap. Sounds like I missed a wild party on the patio. 

Carry on.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/23 11:49 a.m.

I always liked Frenchy, although I never met him.  He was opinionated, and he LOVED shellac.  That man preached the gospel of bug excrement like nothing else.

I'm a little sad that I don't know the context of the thread that got deleted.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
9/10/23 12:44 p.m.

I'm a little sad that I don't know the context of the thread that got deleted. Nor the day and posted thread that FMan is persona non grata? 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/10/23 1:00 p.m.

I believe the thread that got (accidentally) deleted, had nothing to do with Frenchy, and was unrelated to his dismissal.  Which is why there was a lot of confusion over Frenchy's removal.

The deleted thread, if I remember correctly, was essentially started as an s-throwing argument, between two "combatants", so nothing of real interest.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/23 1:05 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

To be fair, I was high as a kite on morphine in the ER when I  got the ball rolling on that mess.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/23 1:09 p.m.

If you didn't see it you aren't missing anything. 

It was basically an I'm calling you out because you said I wouldn't by one member. Some kicking of dirt back and forth like a couple of young bucks and then gone when the adults walked in the room. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/10/23 1:15 p.m.

It was multiple simultaneous E36 M3shows that prompted this thread i thought.  No you didn't miss much.  In fact you can see some examples of it in this very thread.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/23 1:22 p.m.

So nothing specific that got Frenchyd booted?

I feel like the bystander at a train wreck wanting to know why it derailed despite having zero rights to that information.  :)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/10/23 1:39 p.m.

The particular thread that got destroyed I thought was more an Anthony GS induced train wreck than Frenchy.  But either way there were two simultaneous examples of them both being themselves.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/10/23 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, it's pretty confusing, but as noted previously, it appears Frenchy's pit bull like determination to not let go of being heavily committed to (and essentially disruptive to) the various EV threads was the primary issue.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/10/23 2:13 p.m.

No disrespect to the two primary members (or former members) at the core of this discussion, but neither one seemed to bring enough positive stuff to this community to tolerate the negative stuff. I'm sure they'd both been warned before and it didn't seem to change anything about their respective behaviors. Frenchy had no interest in posting correct, relevant information while he spammed every thread relevant to his favorite topics. And Anthony is simply combative in almost every post. Good on the staff for protecting their community here even if it's not particularly fun for them.

If you're regularly contributing to this community in a positive way, I'd bet that the staff is more willing to give a longer leash. If your impact here is more often negative than positive, then you're asking to get thrown out the club.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/10/23 3:07 p.m.

I imagine that in my 20+ years on this forum I've been close to the crosshairs a time or two. I've given myself a time out on more than one occasion when I felt my contributions were predominantly negative or the chip I have on my shoulder toward those born into wealth starts giving me a whinge. (I still remember a feature in the magazine about some well-to-do college kids who were racing brand new, well-built cars and one of them switched majors from engineering to some medical field or vice/versa. That one really made my "Poor, pitiful me" flare up.) I've made some off-color jokes and statements and been a bitter shiny happy person at least a few times. This is my happy place and my sanctuary from the idiocy and mendacity of the outside world so, I try to act accordingly. Sadly my appetite for motorsports has diminished over the years, mostly due to a lack of time, energy, and money. When you haven't raced in just shy of 20 years it's pretty easy to keep on not racing. My daughter and I somewhat recently went to an Autocross where she drove and I acted as ballast. I didn't have a vehicle that I could race and, while I looked at the Autocross and said, "That's fun" I didn't feel the urge to compete. 

I feel like I'm turning a corner in my life and I honestly don't know if I'll ever race again, or even do much to a car beyond general maintenance and repairs. I just enjoy being here and hanging out with you folks, even if it is to mostly lurk and live vicariously through your builds and adventures. On many occasions the posts I'm typing turn into long, maudlin walls of text that I proof read, then promptly delete. It's depressing and would add nothing to the community so I don't post it. I do still hop on here every day, multiple times per day, just to see what you guys are up to.

That being said, even I had grown quite tired of the constant shenanigans of the combatants. Every time I read the posts written by them the first thing that popped into my head was, "I'll bet you're a real hoot at parties...".

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/23 3:52 p.m.

In regards to combatants, I have been saying for 50 years that not everybody should smoke pot but some people should be forced to. I say the same thing about magic mushrooms. I think that I'm going to start including estrogen birth control pills for future male combatants. smiley

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/23 1:48 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

That had me visualizing all that being stuffed in to a hookah pipe.

My brain dances around in some weird places now and then. :-)

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/23 8:06 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

A long time ago I tried the first two (in a Hookah). I'll bet you wouldn't have a mean or violent thought in your head.

Gary
Gary UberDork
9/11/23 8:13 p.m.

We're seven pages in, and for the first time I was hoping we could've gotten this thread shut down by now! laugh

Just kidding.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HuRuKM3oz5O5xkuJunWGLNsA6Ikq2GRtICwH7V9ZRy3eO1GHVr78PhbUirUtGt8i