Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/21/24 11:31 a.m.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/former-iron-maiden-singer-paul-dianno-dead-at-66

While I've always preferred the Bruce Dickinson era, Paul definitely laid the groundwork for what Iron Maiden would become and I don't thin kthe band would have been the same without him. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/21/24 11:53 a.m.
David S. Wallens
10/21/24 12:30 p.m.

I think Di’Anno was perfect for those early, smoky club days–back when Maiden was almost more punk than metal. 

But could he have made Madison Square Garden feel intimate? That might be Dickinson’s forte, and he excels at that. 

David S. Wallens
10/21/24 12:35 p.m.
Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
10/21/24 1:05 p.m.

Wow... a million yr ago shortly after number of the beast came out, the "promoter" for the band I was in got us a gig downtown to open for "battlezone"... Turns out this was Di'Anno's project after Bruce took over his job. Our "promoter" dude was very hyped about all this, at one point yelling at us "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO THIS IS??" and our pal who was sort of our roadie piped up with "yeah, it's the guy who got kicked outta Iron Maiden".... this show turned out to Not be our Big Break... I think I got to say "hey" to Paul once. But I don't think the sound man at that bar even turned the PA on for us, I remember that we all wondered if somebody mighta overheard that comment.. RIP Paul, and Killers is still one of Iron Maiden's very best albums.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/21/24 1:41 p.m.

RIP Paul. Those first two Maiden albums were rippers! I prefer the stuff with Bruce, but there's no denying that Paul Di'Anno helped lay the groundwork for not only Maiden, but the whole New Wave of British Heavy Metal scene. An absolute legend is gone. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
18eOvBEoczVYYIqo79p2LdYo5OQfN6Juz8uef1Wa8r3juL9mLDMdxKbFC0a6UyJG