1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/1/13 6:43 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: This is why (for me at least) driving a slow car fast is often much more fun (and more rewarding) than driving a fast car fast.

Well, that and the whole $994k difference in buy in.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/13 7:16 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
dean1484 wrote: This is why (for me at least) driving a slow car fast is often much more fun (and more rewarding) than driving a fast car fast.
Well, that and the whole $994k difference in buy in.

Ummmmmm Nope not really and you don't need 900K to get the same effect. Look at the new C7 it has super car performance. Hell a used C5 ZO6 is a car I could go get tomorrow that has performance that can get you in similar trouble. I will admit I test drove one and it put a huge smile on my face running stoplight o stoplight. I will also be the first to admit that I run out of talent long before these type of cars run out of go, stop and cornering ability.

dean1484
12/1/13 7:19 p.m.

So much want!!!!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/1/13 7:19 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
mndsm wrote: What's even more baffling is- both of the people killed are quite skilled drivers. Paul Walker did most of his own stunt driving for the first few movies. Was also an avid racer.
I'm not saying that is what happened, but it's never wise to underestimate the skill needed to pilot a Carrera GT. It's a white knuckle experience, even at low speeds.
The CGT is pretty much the 930T of modern days. The PCA guys I know say they're very deserving of the "widow maker" moniker. Flight service, the first gen gixxer was about half as bad as the first gen zx10. The latter was proof that what riders want and what they can handle are two completely different things.

I just remember the first gen Gixxer 1000R (Not the 1100 it was much more forgiving, might have had something to do with the extra weight) had the distinguished honor of being the only motorcycle ever wrecked by every cycle magazine ever to test it.

That blurb stuck with me.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/1/13 7:21 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Depends. My old 9C1 put down about 200 to the wheels and would shred as long as you dared.

i've had 3 9C1's (87, 92, 94) and none of them ever came close to scaring me- and none of them was a tire frying beast.. well, none were scary except maybe the 87 that had a loose tilt mechanism in the steering column that would cause the ignition switch to shut off if you bumped it wrong.. had the 94 up to the speed limiter (146mph? i think?) once, and other than the utility poles in the ditch looking like a picket fence, it was like riding a new car at 60...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/1/13 9:04 p.m.

This sucks.

The F&F movies were stupid fun, and gave birth to a lot of the internet memes that are car related that we all laugh at every day. Paul seemed like a great guy, and was a genuine gearhead. Bad decisions, especially with very fast modified cars, can lead to tragedies like this. It's just terrible.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/1/13 9:05 p.m.

Autoweek has information on the driver, Roger Rodas: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131201/CARNEWS/131209999 There's another story on the site that talks about the history of the car itself.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
12/1/13 9:05 p.m.

Associated Press Breaking News:

"Speed a Factor in Walker's Deadly Crash"

http://news.yahoo.com/officials-speed-factor-walkers-deadly-crash-004554139.html

you don't say?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/1/13 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

That's priceless.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/1/13 9:26 p.m.

I'm staying away from some of the offensive topics in here, but having said that....

My boss drives like a complete shiny happy person on the streets. Weaving in and out of traffic, going 30-40 mph over the speed limit, etc. Just no real care about how his driving is affecting/will affect other drivers... But his excuse is "I know how to drive fast... ." I E36 M3 you not.

....sounds like a cop.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/2/13 7:06 a.m.

for anyone who cares to know more about his acting career

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908094/

Running scared was his best acting work IMHO

Heard a report today, that he was trapped and conscious while his friend attempted to get him out of the car after the accident, if that is correct, it is a hard price to pay.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/2/13 7:44 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Depends. My old 9C1 put down about 200 to the wheels and would shred as long as you dared.
i've had 3 9C1's (87, 92, 94) and none of them ever came close to scaring me- and none of them was a tire frying beast.. well, none were scary except maybe the 87 that had a loose tilt mechanism in the steering column that would cause the ignition switch to shut off if you bumped it wrong.. had the 94 up to the speed limiter (146mph? i think?) once, and other than the utility poles in the ditch looking like a picket fence, it was like riding a new car at 60...

The 91/92 were scary above the 120-mark. If the had the cheesy looking wing on the trunk (Colorado SP did this on all of them) it was alright from what I hear. But on a stock car, the half wheel wells created enough lift to raise the rear of the car to the top of the shock travel so when you hit even a small bump, the rear end came off the ground, the engine rev'd to fuel cut and the digital speedo would register 140+ for a moment until the rear came back to earth. My 89 was never scary. It was a rock.... and it had the aero of one as well. it took as long to go from 95-110 as it did to go from 0-95.

As for the topic at hand.... RIP Paul Walker. Hated your movies (especially 8 below), never liked your mediocre acting but to die as a passenger sucks.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/2/13 8:01 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

I've read that too. Their friends tried feverishly to put the fire out to save them. One account indicated only seeing PW as you stated. People were being pulled back as they couldn't slow the flames to attempt rescue . . .

Sad way to go indeed

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/2/13 8:27 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Its still early to eliminate the possibilities of stories, but I wouldn't doubt the possibility. I would expect to hear more about it if the information is true. Not ruling it out.

Not saying much about how I feel about the subject before my show.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/2/13 8:39 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I just checked the serial number of the car that crashed... I've driven that car...

That quickly and the car community already knows the VIN of the car that crashed?? How is that possible, even with the power of the internet? That is amazing.

As for the driver and passenger, I've very sorry to see both of them go. Driving like a shiny happy person doesn't mean that there aren't now some young kids without a dad. Very sad.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/2/13 8:42 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: I just checked the serial number of the car that crashed... I've driven that car...
That quickly and the car community already knows the VIN of the car that crashed?? How is that possible, even with the power of the internet? That is amazing.

Stranger things have happened . . .

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
12/2/13 9:14 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: for anyone who cares to know more about his acting career http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908094/ Running scared was his best acting work IMHO Heard a report today, that he was trapped and conscious while his friend attempted to get him out of the car after the accident, if that is correct, it is a hard price to pay.

Talk about a horrific way to go.

You know I can't help but thinking the PSA at the beginning of the first FF movie DVD where Walker tells people not to street race etc. Then he dies as a passenger in a car with a guy basically doing that.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/13 9:35 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: for anyone who cares to know more about his acting career http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908094/ Running scared was his best acting work IMHO Heard a report today, that he was trapped and conscious while his friend attempted to get him out of the car after the accident, if that is correct, it is a hard price to pay.
Talk about a horrific way to go. You know I can't help but thinking the PSA at the beginning of the first FF movie DVD where Walker tells people not to street race etc. Then he dies as a passenger in a car with a guy basically doing that.

Hard not to choke on the irony, eh?

No matter how much Walker did for the enthusiast community, this type of incident undoes much of that work.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/2/13 9:41 a.m.
ZOO wrote:
rebelgtp wrote:
Talk about a horrific way to go. You know I can't help but thinking the PSA at the beginning of the first FF movie DVD where Walker tells people not to street race etc. Then he dies as a passenger in a car with a guy basically doing that.
Hard not to choke on the irony, eh? No matter how much Walker did for the enthusiast community, this type of incident undoes much of that work.

Not sure if I agree...I think it could absolutely engrave the message that he was trying to promote into young minds. "look kids, it can happen to anybody..."

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/2/13 9:42 a.m.

I keep hearing about how Paul Walker was a car guy and I've read the quote about how he "grew up" street racing... if so, why didn't he do anything to fix any of the glaring idiocies in the F&F movies?

I am sorry for his death as a passenger, especially considering how it seems to have happened, but as always, some of the things being said are kind of eye-roll worthy.

dean1484
12/2/13 9:53 a.m.

Of interest to me was that in the report linked above they specifically stated that it was a one car accident. Does this rule out the 2nd car theory?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/2/13 9:59 a.m.
Duke wrote: I keep hearing about how Paul Walker was a car guy and I've read the quote about how he "grew up" street racing... if so, why didn't he do anything to fix any of the glaring idiocies in the *F&F* movies? I am sorry for his death as a passenger, especially considering how it seems to have happened, but as always, some of the things being said are kind of eye-roll worthy.

+1. I've read he was "a great actor". Ummmm.... no. He wasn't. There are a lot of great actors (and actresses) out there, but PW wasn't one of them. I'm not saying he was a bad person, but don't try to fool yourself by thinking he was great.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
12/2/13 10:20 a.m.
Duke wrote: I keep hearing about how Paul Walker was a car guy and I've read the quote about how he "grew up" street racing... if so, why didn't he do anything to fix any of the glaring idiocies in the *F&F* movies?

Because actors have zero control over script changes/production. They're paid to act and wisely shut up and do so in order to keep their jobs.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
12/2/13 10:25 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Of interest to me was that in the report linked above they specifically stated that it was a one car accident. Does this rule out the 2nd car theory?

But does it really matter if there was a second car? Or even debris in the road? Dude was still going too fast.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/2/13 10:29 a.m.

Don't care about his acting. I do care that he seems to be a person who stayed out of the tabloids, was a good father (or at least no reports of him being a bad one), and it appears was very generous with his time and money to both charitable causes as well as educational ones.

Sad to see him go.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0fiI2P71icSOZuR866fHNh2zvGkNwMCj2HuvqtB3zKLecMJla1kEUSOCZFId7TD7