AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 Reader
12/2/13 2:03 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

The CGT uses a traditional rack and PS pump like any other car:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/13 2:04 p.m.

I know, I didn't say it didn't...but there are probably still places where a leak could spray PS fluid on the front tires.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 Reader
12/2/13 2:09 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

or the rear tires, since the car has ps lines running all the way to the back. you never know. Could have ran over some debris, punctured a line, sprayed on the tires and they lost control.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
12/2/13 2:18 p.m.

Let's face it, all of us here have probably done more than one stupid thing with a car. I also subscribe to the part failure theory in this case. As someone that's experienced a catastrophic fluid leak in the steering system, I can assure you it can catch you out and put you on a path you never intended. It can go from manageable to nothing almost instantly. And in my case, the fluid dump coated the rear tires causing further issues. It wasn't fun, but fortunately I didn't hit anything. Ironically, it was also in a Porsche. I've read about other makes having this problem too however.

A compounding issue with a car like the CGT, is that the failure can happen at speeds most of us don't see. I have noticed that the faster the street car that I own, the faster I drive it. For instance, in the aforementioned Porsche, you needed to be going 120 plus just to feel like you are having a good time.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
12/2/13 2:23 p.m.

RIP, I know that it may be easy to bash him, but I respect what he did and he seemed to love what he did. I am sure that if each one of us was put under a microscope perhaps we would not be a model car guys either.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J New Reader
12/2/13 2:50 p.m.

I am in no way approving of the driving that led to this unfortunate consequence, but I will say that at least it was in an industrial park on a Saturday, rather than a commercial district or residential neighborhood... and again, on a Saturday when the roads are a whole lot less traveled than a weekday.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
12/2/13 3:27 p.m.

If you were to ask me if I felt I would be taking a greater risk by going for a quick 100 m.p.h. Blast in a super car, in an industrial park or commuting to work on my motorcycle, I still say the 100 m.p.h. Blast would be less risky.

But there is risk in everything and we all have to go sometime.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/2/13 3:34 p.m.
AtticusTurbo27 wrote: Here are some diagrams of a Carrera GT. The entire rear has to be disassembled and separated to access and replace the Fuel tank:

Interesting. You can imagine the force it would take to rip that in half. Of course, you would think there would be a few more bolts attaching the half's. It is obviously a very critical structure.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/2/13 3:35 p.m.

Randy Pobst will be on CNN tonight, discussing the Carrera GT. Gonna watch it. At 11pm

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/2/13 3:43 p.m.

In reply to AtticusTurbo27:

Caron fiber doesn't bend, so cars like that break in half by design to dissipate energy.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 Reader
12/2/13 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

They still have crash structures, but obviously it should break up to the passenger compartment, then be renforced for safety. The car was not made to rip in half tearing fuel and oil lines along with exposing the fuel tank by design.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/2/13 5:04 p.m.

It does remind me a bit of this somewhat famous crash on PCH:

I guess with a mid-engined car, breaking in half is a realistic possibility under extreme conditions. In the case of the Ferrari though, it looks like the gas tank may be in the front (?)

Here is another mid-engined Ferrari (Italia?) that also crashed on PCH. You can clearly see here the gas tank is in the middle.

Also interesting that neither of the above appeared to catch the fuel tank on fire.

I believe both survived the Enzo crash, but the Italia was a fatality (the seats were still semi-attached to the front half.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
12/2/13 5:26 p.m.

Would anyone be talking about it in detail if it was Joe Schmoe tuning shop owner? Would anyone be talking about it at length if it was some other random Hollywood actor or rapper or whatever that didn't happen to star in 7 movies about driving fast in expensive cars? Would anyone be talking about how tragic it is if he was driving instead of just a passenger?

Seriously.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/13 5:35 p.m.

Another actor would get talked about because we'd bash him for having more money than skill. If it was just the shop owner it would have disappeared already seeing as his name has had nearly a mention. Sad but it's the nature of the interweb.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
12/2/13 5:41 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Would anyone be talking about it in detail if it was Joe Schmoe tuning shop owner? Would anyone be talking about it at length if it was some other random Hollywood actor or rapper or whatever that didn't happen to star in 7 movies about driving fast in expensive cars? Would anyone be talking about how tragic it is if he was driving instead of just a passenger? Seriously.

I would say yes because of the car. The last time it got talked about a lot too, and the people who were killed were not famous.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
12/2/13 6:00 p.m.
Flyin Mikey J wrote: I am in no way approving of the driving that led to this unfortunate consequence, but I will say that at least it was in an industrial park on a Saturday, rather than a commercial district or residential neighborhood... and again, on a Saturday when the roads are a whole lot less traveled than a weekday.

Ya know, I can agree here.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/2/13 7:05 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Would anyone be talking about it in detail if it was Joe Schmoe tuning shop owner? Would anyone be talking about it at length if it was some other random Hollywood actor or rapper or whatever that didn't happen to star in 7 movies about driving fast in expensive cars? Would anyone be talking about how tragic it is if he was driving instead of just a passenger? Seriously.

If it were in my neck of the woods, yes, but you already know that.
I talk about all the dumb E36 M3 people do. Yes, this is in that category.

DukeOfUndersteer
12/2/13 7:30 p.m.

What really pisses me off is the Entertainment channels that exploit the deaths and adding their own speculation on what happened. "There is word of stalling issues. When I think of stalling, I think there is a gas tank problem..." Really? Compairing a $300,000 supercar to a AMC Gremlin (or add a junker in)? Those cars had a 3 plate racing clutch that was NOTORIOUS for stalling. I've stalled one before! They really need to stop speculating and go back to reporting was Kim Kardashian's dress is worth...

/rant.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/2/13 9:20 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: What really pisses me off is the Entertainment channels that exploit the deaths and adding their own speculation on what happened. "There is word of stalling issues. When I think of stalling, I think there is a gas tank problem..." Really? Compairing a $300,000 supercar to a AMC Gremlin (or add a junker in)? Those cars had a 3 plate racing clutch that was NOTORIOUS for stalling. I've stalled one before! They really need to stop speculating and go back to reporting was Kim Kardashian's dress is worth... /rant.

How much is KKs dress worth? Do you have pic? Is it GGA worthy?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
12/2/13 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Um. No.

/threadjack

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/2/13 9:36 p.m.

Maybe Walker just never wanted to see that....

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
12/2/13 10:00 p.m.

Ugh. My eyes. My grandmother's couch cover.

Anyone got a Porsche I can wreck?

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
12/2/13 10:17 p.m.

News now reporting that the investigation tagged the car as going about 45mph into a 15mph zone. Supposedly clipped a curb and spun into the pole/tree and basically blew up.

IDK, seems unrealistic to me, but who knows....

DukeOfUndersteer
12/2/13 10:22 p.m.

I also love how they're questioning the "safety of the fuel tank, which is located in the front..." If they did a tiny bit of research, they would find the fuel tank is directly behind the tub of the car.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
12/2/13 10:36 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: I also love how they're questioning the "safety of the fuel tank, which is located in the front..." If they did a tiny bit of research, they would find the fuel tank is directly behind the tub of the car.

It's the news-media, they don't have time to research minor details like that...

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uFwXuOQq6AGb2QpBf6WGgtdLRMrrWaToXzEcCoI1kZb99crPViwkipk4KxfqeYUU