1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/3/13 10:44 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

Pretty much, about everything is safe so long as you don't hit trees.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/3/13 10:59 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: News flash; The Carrera GT is now too dangerous for the roads. Thought you should all know.

Clearly, this car should be banned before it kills again! It's a monster! Oh, the humanity! Think of the children!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/3/13 11:03 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: News flash; The Carrera GT is now too dangerous for the roads. Thought you should all know.
Clearly, this car should be banned before it kills again! It's a monster! Oh, the humanity! Think of the children!

Did someone say...

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
12/3/13 11:05 a.m.
ppddppdd wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Duke wrote:
irish44j wrote: News now reporting that the investigation tagged the car as going about 45mph into a 15mph zone. Supposedly clipped a curb and spun into the pole/tree and basically blew up. IDK, seems unrealistic to me, but who knows....
I don't buy that crap for a millisecond.
I could believe it spun into the tree at a legal speed and caught fire IF the PS system had a leak, because I'm beginning to realize that ATF is a lot like Napalm. Catches fire very easily, extremely hard to put out.
Yeah, it could be an extremely rare catastrophic PS system failure on a car that's maintained *extremely* carefully, causing it to spin at 45 mph into a solid object, shatter and burst into flame. Entirely possible. But until we know more, I'm going with Occam's Razor. On what planet do two car junkies take a Carrera GT out for a cautious sunday drive around an industrial park? They were probably driving it fast enough that it was at least mildly interesting. I have zero experience with cars like that, but you're talking about a hypercar that hits 100 mph in something much less than 7 seconds. I'm guessing that what feels mildly interesting in a CGT is going to involve enough speed that unexpected things are going to happen really suddenly. It sucks, and they didn't "deserve" it, but this just goes to show that all the skill in the world can't offset bad judgement.

+1

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/3/13 11:10 a.m.

Yea sometimes it takes it a pretty big "oh sh*t" moment to make you consider the consequences. Perhaps Mr. Rodas hadn't experienced enough of those.

I'd be curious to know a little bit more about his driving history both on and off track. Maybe he'd been lucky enough never to have had a serious accident prior to this one?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
12/3/13 11:42 a.m.
Duke wrote:
irish44j wrote: News now reporting that the investigation tagged the car as going about 45mph into a 15mph zone. Supposedly clipped a curb and spun into the pole/tree and basically blew up. IDK, seems unrealistic to me, but who knows....

The tree must have been doing over 100MPH when it ran into the car. Trees, unsafe at any speed.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/13 12:20 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: The tree must have been doing over 100MPH when it ran into the car. Trees, unsafe at any speed.

Dam you I was drinking a Diet Coke when I read that. I now need a new keyboard.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/3/13 12:26 p.m.
Duke wrote:

A decorative tree attacked my buddies Contour SVT sideways at a speed estimated at or around 75 MPH...an all steel, unibody car, without rear engines or cardboard-fiber firewalls. His car broke in half just behind his seat.

He was pronounced dead about 45 minutes later.

A plastic 2 piece car being sliced at the right spot…I can absolutely believe that could happen at slow speeds if the conditions are right.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/3/13 12:36 p.m.

Anyone want to hear what moviefone.com had to say about it?
No? OK, didn't think so.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/13 12:43 p.m.

There was a Lamborghini that split in half a few months ago, somewhere near NYC. The accident was captured by security cameras. The Lamborghini was clipped by a car turning left, spinning it into a wall. It split in half, even though it wasn't going terribly quickly. And...it caught on fire subsequently.

Here are some pictures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psDrKPmOs8

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/3/13 12:46 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

I would argue the fact that it wasn't going terribly quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWECb-7NMzk

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/13 12:52 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to dyintorace: I would argue the fact that it wasn't going terribly quick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWECb-7NMzk

I've seen that video too. Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like the car was flying down the street. Might have been exceeding the speed limit, but, my point is that he/she wasn't doing 100+ MPH, yet the car split in half and caught fire. Only pointing out the similarities.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/3/13 12:58 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

I can agree with that. It was a very clean break though, unlike the Porsche though.

Is there a speed in which the impact would be so hard that the body would not break cleanly like the Lamborghini?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/3/13 1:05 p.m.

Question (of course we are all just kind of guessing here):

Do we know that the car split in half as result of the collision? Or did it just melt in half (carbon fiber burning / melting)?

I would have to re-watch the burning video, but was the car split then?

Of course, if it didn't split at the collision, what caused the fire? It certainly looked like the fuel tank was fueling the fire.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/3/13 1:21 p.m.

It looks like the rear is at too much of an extreme angle to have melted off. I'm thinking an odd angle causing it to disconnect different than someone would expect.

Don't worry. Millions of dollars worth of engineers will get this one figured out for E! TV.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/3/13 1:40 p.m.

A tree hit me once. That sucker. Broke my right Great Saphenous vein. I misjudged a force vector by 90 degrees. This one was like if you took a 80 year old oak tree, layed it on its side, bent the trunk back 6' and then instantly let it go. That's what hit me in the leg and I went down with a running chain saw in my hands.

Trees: You just can't trust them.

Oh, and if that was a composite car (I'm no P car expert), then it can be burnt to the ground in <3 minutes. Ask me how I know.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 Reader
12/3/13 1:46 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Also by looking at the security footage, the car burst into flames instantly on impact. Suggesting the fuel tank was exposed/ruptured at the point of impact.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/3/13 2:28 p.m.

I noticed CNN on Google News has a "5 Things You Should Know About the Car That Killed Paul Walker"

As if the car had psychological problems prior to flipping out or something.

"It's very rare." So did the car feel like an outsider? Did it want to be more like a Camry?

"It's very expensive." Oh I see, it led a life of privileged and didn't understand that human lives are not toys.

"It's very fast, hard to control." Oh...one of those types. Oh dear.

"The engine is in the middle." That's effed man, who let it get to that point?

"It has no stability control." Well that's pretty much like anyone in Hollywood.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/3/13 2:34 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Oh, and if that was a composite car (I'm no P car expert), then it can be burnt to the ground in <3 minutes. Ask me how I know.

...and yet you still love your lotuses.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/3/13 2:57 p.m.

The secret is out. It was a drone strike!

http://truthernews.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/fast-and-furious-star-paul-walker-assassinated-by-obama-drone-strike/

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/3/13 3:04 p.m.
PHeller wrote: I noticed CNN on Google News has a "5 Things You Should Know About the Car That Killed Paul Walker" As if the car had psychological problems prior to flipping out or something. "It's very rare." So did the car feel like an outsider? Did it want to be more like a Camry? "It's very expensive." Oh I see, it led a life of privileged and didn't understand that human lives are not toys. "It's very fast, hard to control." Oh...one of those types. Oh dear. "The engine is in the middle." That's effed man, who let it get to that point? "It has no stability control." Well that's pretty much like anyone in Hollywood.

Goddammit, that last one is the reason we can't have nice things. People like to demonize cars without a billion dollars of stuff control.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
12/3/13 3:07 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

shiny happy truther guy said: A few inches of wood are obviously no match for thousands of pounds of forged steel allegedly traveling at an extremely high-rate of speed.. In other words, what is being alleged as the cause of death by authorities is scientifically impossible.

um yeah ok, kinda like a 2x4 can't be driven through a tree trunk. Good to know all new cars are forged steel though.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/3/13 3:15 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

I lol'd pretty good at the thousands of pounds of forged steel bit.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/3/13 3:17 p.m.
PHeller wrote: I noticed CNN on Google News has a "5 Things You Should Know About the Car That Killed Paul Walker" As if the car had psychological problems prior to flipping out or something. "It's very rare." So did the car feel like an outsider? Did it want to be more like a Camry? "It's very expensive." Oh I see, it led a life of privileged and didn't understand that human lives are not toys. "It's very fast, hard to control." Oh...one of those types. Oh dear. "The engine is in the middle." That's effed man, who let it get to that point? "It has no stability control." Well that's pretty much like anyone in Hollywood.

Just think of how many of the 918 total 918's will be crashed.......they're apparently nearly twice as quick.

Just a reminder, CNN is the news agency that claimed the output of your turbo was relative to how many belts the engine had.....

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
12/3/13 3:21 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to dyintorace: I would argue the fact that it wasn't going terribly quick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWECb-7NMzk
I've seen that video too. Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like the car was flying down the street. Might have been exceeding the speed limit, but, my point is that he/she wasn't doing 100+ MPH, yet the car split in half and caught fire. Only pointing out the similarities.

You both should take some more time and look a little closer. The Lambo may not have been going a 100mph, but the tree it hit first and then wall were both going 0mph.

In the CGT's case, it was reported that the car was sideways when it took out a light pole before it ever reached the tree. Dontcha think that's the reason the car was horseshoe-shaped before it ever came to a stop? Seems like a pretty good reason the fuel tank was ruptured, too.

It also seems it's a de rigueur safety design theory for mid-engine supercars to shear behind the passenger compartment in order to dissipate energy.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
THTKc47GAedkGKzy0j1joqs22gjaV3oo0CmuFQdZkUD0lB9T7phD74VkSGowlZ14