1 2 3 4
bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
1/10/13 3:53 p.m.

Jthw8 - Far be it from me to tell your daughter what to study ....

BUT

I graduated with an English degree, top of my class. A coworker graduated top of her class with an English degree too, now that I think of it. We're nurses, had to go back to school and get a second degree. Another couple of coworkers had English BAs, this was when I sold appliances for Sears.

My brother graduated with a degree in English, specialty Journalism - he's a firefighter.

The only people I graduated with that found some real use for their degrees work their tails off as High School teachers, and those people were lucky to find and hold jobs at all.

I will be encouraging my daughter to get a BS in just about any field, to start.

peabodysc
peabodysc New Reader
1/10/13 7:01 p.m.

We went to a seminar at my son's high school and were told that because of endowments, many private colleges are less expensive to attend than public university's. The presenter was from the SC Student loan organization, and the majority of his presentation was about scholarships and grants, didn't really touch on loans. Being without a 4 yr degree has limited my career options, but then I have friends that are landscapers and they make ALOT more than I ever have.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
1/10/13 10:16 p.m.

Definitely a good reason to be in Florida... I locked in my 2006 tuition rate, so I pay $160.59/credit hour, which I am able to afford as a part-time student while working full-time. It sure felt great paying for my last large tuition bill this semester, but graduating without debt is definitely worth it. I consider myself fortunate to not require taking on any debt.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ryaw1a3PPxopvD0a6THzwMrGe1izCwWfF7a1E7NaXZiM7FIeMpOSiI1nedrhNALY