dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/12 9:45 a.m.

I need to send some money to my brother for him to buy something for me that happens to be very close to him. If I were to use paypal to send him the money, what is the absolute fastest time he could actually get the money to make the purchase? He doesn't have the cash on hand to cover it in the meantime.

Western Union? Any other suggestions?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/17/12 9:46 a.m.

If he could use Paypal to purchase it... immediately.

If he needs the cash, it'll probably be about a week.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
8/17/12 9:52 a.m.

For fast money, you can't beat Western Union. Hours at the most, can receive at most supermarkets. Easy peasy.

dyintorace
8/17/12 9:55 a.m.
cwh wrote: For fast money, you can't beat Western Union. Hours at the most, can receive at most supermarkets. Easy peasy.

I'll check their fees. Thanks.

Datsun1500 wrote: Does he bank at a big bank that has a branch near you? If so just deposit it in his account, he can grab it immediately.

That was my first thought. No such luck. Some tiny little credit union up by him NW of Atlanta.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
8/17/12 11:35 a.m.

Not sure if you guys have this, but up here we have something called email money transfer. It's on the Interac system, it's immediate, and either free or $1.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/17/12 11:52 a.m.
cwh wrote: For fast money, you can't beat Western Union. Hours at the most, can receive at most supermarkets. Easy peasy.

I just sent my sister-in-law $180.00 via Western Union and they call it "money-in-minutes". $12.00 service charge, 6.67%, @ Super Walmart.

They also have a "next day" service which I imagine might cost less to send?

cwh
cwh PowerDork
8/17/12 12:13 p.m.

We generally sell using wire transfers. From Trinidad it can take a week to hit, some, like from from Barbados or Grand Cayman, take hours. When my Trinidad clients really, really want it quick, Western Union. Yeah, they bitch about the cost, but we get out money right now.

dyintorace
8/17/12 1:20 p.m.

Damn. Western Union is berkeleying expensive! I'm just going to priority mail him a check. Should be there on Monday.

Thanks for the thoughts.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
8/17/12 1:48 p.m.

Another (possible) option:

Look to see if his credit union has an option for depositing checks via cell phone camera. A lot (all?) of the big banks have it now, there is good chance the technology has found its way down to the small ones as well depending on what vendors they use.

You would need all of his info, but it would be immediate.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/17/12 10:37 p.m.

There is a credit union network. I'm not particularly familiar, to be honest. You might be able to deposit in a credit union near you.

http://www.cuservicecenter.com/CreditUnions.aspx

Supercoupe
Supercoupe HalfDork
8/18/12 1:13 a.m.

Try looking into the above, I was a member of a small one office credit union that was part of a shared network. My office was 58 miles from my house but a shared member credit union was a mile and a half from me. I was able to deposit and withdraw from the local one and it was just like driving to my branch.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/17/23 10:11 a.m.

That was my first thought. No such luck. Some tiny little credit union up by him NW of Atlanta.

It may be worth a phone call to his credit union to see what options they may have for quick money transfers.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/17/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UMAjRx3Gefw9cKO6zAQzA5tLiQFYaFZfPOCIBMEFfWNjXYRvG4ipXwqoHTWAhG2o