ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/20/22 10:42 a.m.

I recently started a thread that is/will be pic heavy.  When I went to update it on my phone I noticed many of the pics don't show up.

This is the thread in question:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/prodarwins-adventures-in-3d-printing/198394/page1/

Pics 3-8 do not show on my phone - just empty small white boxes (iPhone 13, Safari), but do show up on both of my computers (Windows 10, Chrome)

Any idea why this is happening?  I haven't noticed it on other threads I have browsed with my phone.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 11:25 a.m.

I notice it a lot, sometimes even with images that I hotlink.   I always figured it was a host issue.

For instance, none of the images on the first few pages of my garage thread show up on mobile but they show up on my computer just fine.  What is interesting is that I uploaded them via mobile, not this computer, so I do not see how it could be a simple permissions issue.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/22 11:28 a.m.

Iphone 13 here, same pictures don't show with both Safari and Firefox. 

I am not sure of what causes this. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/20/22 12:14 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I notice it a lot, sometimes even with images that I hotlink.   I always figured it was a host issue.

For instance, none of the images on the first few pages of my garage thread show up on mobile but they show up on my computer just fine.  What is interesting is that I uploaded them via mobile, not this computer, so I do not see how it could be a simple permissions issue.

None of the pics in your thread show up on my computer :(

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/24/22 8:37 p.m.

Just bumping this because I am still having this issue.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/24/22 9:19 p.m.

Are the missing images hosted on our site or on another site? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/24/22 9:31 p.m.

These are all hosted on the GRM board.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/22 9:37 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Looking at the image links for the missing ones it appears they aren't hosted by GRM but are google images links.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/24/22 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I wonder if maybe it's copy/pasting the address or embed code instead of the actual image file due to Google weirdness? I haven't been able to replicate the problem. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/25/22 12:30 a.m.

Weird.  I think that is what is happening.  It doesn't make sense, because if I right click-copy image and paste into any software on my computer (ppt, one note, etc.) the image is there, not an embed/link.

If I copy paste an image from my computer and paste into the box here, it shows up fine:

So the scenario only happens when I copy an image from my google photos and paste it here.

At least I know the problem though, I can work around that.  

Happy Festivus!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/25/22 7:43 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Happy Festivus to you, too! Yeah, sounds like Google Photos isn't actually spitting out the image file it says it is. :( 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RbVdhZDMAqS7IJIgZjq4b3bfAYeuM1fnVsA48RBN7pA3nw4UxFvxPPEkJHPpCRqe