Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
5/18/20 10:01 a.m.

No not really.

I just wondered if what's happening here is happening everywhere.

The prices of pit bikes, mini bikes, and many of the other Chinese conveyances has gone completely crazy.  Locally, people on FB marketplace are asking at least a few hundred over MSRP for used pit bikes. That's for the decent ones. I've seen junky ones - $400 bikes priced as high as $1500. Mini bikes are equally stupid, with people asking over the original price for used and even beat up bikes.

Not wanting to be left out, I jumped on the bandwagon yesterday and listed an old Gray roller cabinet that I previously, and unsuccessfully, tried to give away for $75. I walked away for a few minutes and came back to 10 responses. It sold in a few minutes.  With that I figured it was time to cash in a bit. I put my Coleman mini bike up for $650. That's a little less than they cost here, but I bought it on sale for $500 and only bought it because it was on sale. Sold in under 5 minutes. I wanted to put my little dirt bug up, but when I mentioned it in a thread I got an offer of $350 not running. I bought it 10 years ago for $200. I took it. I think I might list some of my other junk just to see what I can get.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
5/18/20 10:10 a.m.

An influx of $1,200, new found free time, the desire to get out and do something, and a lot of time surfing the web classifieds.  

Its a good time to sell some stuff.

Are motorcycle dealerships in your area allowed to be open?  If not, while the want is high, the ability to buy is low.  

Bicycles have been brisk sellers in the used market too for similar reasons including bored kids at home.  

Edit:  Ooops, I see you are in Canuck-land so take out the $1,200 but everything else applies.  

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/18/20 10:46 a.m.

I have had really solid luck selling of parts my my various LS escapades.  Sold a ton of stuff asap. 

This likely explains why I am not finding the deals on wheels I had hoped for.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
5/18/20 11:14 a.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

Edit:  Ooops, I see you are in Canuck-land so take out the $1,200 but everything else applies.  

Our current government has never seen a problem they couldn't try to solve by throwing money at it. We're getting $2k/mo, that's probably helping

I think part of the problem is that nothing shipped out of China for a while and most of the dealers have  no stock creating a frenzy over availability. I wonder how it will end because 6 months ago you couldn't give away a Chinese pit bike. I recently bought a Pitster pro, and I'm tempted to flip it, make $500 and buy a nicer one when things calm down

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/20/21 5:28 a.m.

Suspected canoe

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x1J8sfd6Ux6TyKciQ7MrjWE9AjoxRtDCg9b0YSlAM6eJhg3goGSBFSHp3xj3BxId