1 2 3 4
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/12/24 7:57 p.m.

Stay on the internet long enough, eventually you'll read something strange.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/24 8:16 p.m.

Sounds reasonable.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/12/24 8:37 p.m.

Conspiracy theories are created by the Illuminati to distract everyone from what's REALLY going on...

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/24 8:43 p.m.
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/12/24 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

No, no.  The Taylor Swift one is true.  Think about it.  It all makes sense.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/12/24 11:07 p.m.

Illuminati.

A secret society do exist.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/24 11:26 p.m.

I'll re-post a couple of highly original ones I've run across:

- Ran across one in a Youtube comment that the US government is covering up the existence of bigfoot because if people knew about its existence, they'd want to own heavier weaponry than either party would like civilians to have.

- In the mid/late-2000s I heard about an American guy who thought that Europe was still mostly in ruins from WW2 and that everything we saw in the media from there was carefully curated or even just fabricated to hide the extent of the damage.

- There is a small subset of flat earthers who believe that we're being lied to about the shape of the "globe" by the aerospace industry to hide that air and space travel are much cheaper than they'd have us believe (vs. the vast majority of flat-earthers who are essentially creationism-driven).

- Working in IT, people would sometimes ask me if I thought antivirus companies were also creating the viruses or if companies were sitting on technological advancements longer than necessary and doling them out slowly over time like diamonds from a DeBeers vault. Mind you that first one was a question I got before the age of ransomware, I think that's a thought that could only arise in a time when malware was either written for sport or to make profit through highly convoluted and obscure processes...and I think today's high-profile mega-budget tech product flops would make it easier to see that the second is false as well.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/12/24 11:35 p.m.

Conspiracy theories are simply the manifestation of people's need to have explanations for things they otherwise cannot understand.

E.g. thunder is scary and weird.... must be the angry gods...

Even now, with all our science and research, there are still some pretty strange things that can happen that it's sometimes hard to fault people too much for coming up with a "creative" explanation.  E.g. Ball lighting is bizarre.  I am still not sure it's entirely a thing, but it's very strange!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/24 11:47 p.m.

A large percentage of conspiracy theorizing is just trolling. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/12/24 11:51 p.m.

Your device is totally not listening to you.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/24 12:46 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

- There is a small subset of flat earthers who believe that we're being lied to about the shape of the "globe" by the aerospace industry to hide that air and space travel are much cheaper than they'd have us believe

That's really bad as far as conspiracy theories go.  A flat earth would make a lot of air travel far, far more expensive.

OTOH I'm sure that you're aware that chemtrails spray mood-altering drugs that make people distrust the government.

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/13/24 7:11 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I have experienced ball lightning or energy balls.  Woke my wife and I up out of a dead sleep, then just a ball of light floating around the room for a couple of seconds then exited the room through a wall or dissipated into it?   We both wondered what we just saw, questioned each other agreed that it wasn't a dream then researched it. 

Love a good conspiracy theory.  

We are intentionally kept sick with cheap unhealthy food products so health care and big pharma can suck money out of us.   

Car insurance is required by law, but sold to us by private companies, rates go up if you ever have to use it.  It's just required legalized gambling.

Our whole economy is based on keeping all of us ants working as hard as we can and believing that we need new shiny stuff and big houses to be happy.  Too distracted by our social media to notice that our minds are controlled.

As long as no one thinks for themselves and trusts that all big decisions will be decided for us and in our best interest everything will be ok.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
9/13/24 7:31 a.m.

GRM actually stands for General Racing Motors and is a secret subsidiary of GM. They exist to promote the LS-swapping of all the things. This creates a larger demand for used GM truck engines, which removes serviceable trucks from the used market sooner, which holds their value higher, which makes their new trucks easier to sell for more profit. We're all being played here. Wake up people!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/24 7:46 a.m.

Your government cares about you.

Inflation comes from corporate greed, not endlessly printing and borrowing money at interest. 

Your insurance company cares about your well-being. 

Voting matters. 

Social media has made the world a better place. 

Pop stars and movie Stars are definitely who you should take life, political, and financial advice from. 

The media never lies.

Things will get better in the future.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/13/24 7:57 a.m.

Immigrants are eating our cats

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
9/13/24 8:07 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Certain comments won't lead to this thread getting locked.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/13/24 8:46 a.m.

Hot dogs are sold in packs of 10 but Big Bakery sells buns in packs of 12 to sell more buns...or something 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
9/13/24 8:53 a.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

In reply to SV reX :

Certain comments won't lead to this thread getting locked.

Sounds kind of like a concept of a plan you've got there!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/13/24 9:13 a.m.

I really like the compound conspiracy that NASA hired Stanley Kubrick to help them fake the moon landing, but Kubrick was so committed to the bit he insisted on shooting on location.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/13/24 9:14 a.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to aircooled :

Love a good conspiracy theory.  

We are intentionally kept sick with cheap unhealthy food products so health care and big pharma can suck money out of us.   

Car insurance is required by law, but sold to us by private companies, rates go up if you ever have to use it.  It's just required legalized gambling.

Dude a majority of the food sold here in the states in toxic. The reach that it's big pharma is a stretch but our food here is nasty. 

Insurance being required by law is just some great lobbying on behalf on insurance agencies. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/24 9:22 a.m.
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/24 9:42 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

A large percentage of conspiracy theorizing is just trolling. 

This is my theory.

A surprising number of people thrive on broadcasting conspiracies across the interwebs. I think it gives them a warm fuzzy that they are better and smarter than others. 

Instead, they are feeding and paying the trolls with click counts and the trolls don't have to pay a dime for advertising. It's kind of brilliant. 

Post crazy theory on the web. Wait for the theory to go viral. Profit. Rinse and repeat. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/13/24 9:55 a.m.

I've always found the theory of Patton being assassinated by the OSS interesting, because there are enough weird unanswered questions and inconsistencies in that story that it almost makes sense, especially with Patton's post-war statements (which are often taken out of context) that the US should have just continued heading east and mopped up the Soviet Union while we were at it and spared us the inevitable trouble with the USSR down the road.

The other one is National City Lines. Basically, the theory is that General Motors, along with Phillips Petroleum, Mack, Firestone and White, all bought up the trolleys and interurban lines across the country under their jointly-owned shell company, National City Lines, and then shuttered them all to sell more of their products (Buses, tires, oil, gas, etc.). And if that sounds vaguely familiar, yes, that's Judge Doom's plan in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/13/24 9:58 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I really like the compound conspiracy that NASA hired Stanley Kubrick to help them fake the moon landing, but Kubrick was so committed to the bit he insisted on shooting on location.

That reminds me of a comedian who said the best way to deal with a conspiracy theory is to out-conspiracy them. The example he used went something like this:

If the person says the moon landings were faked, just turn them and say "You think the moon is real?"

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
9/13/24 9:59 a.m.

Pro Wrasslin' is real and the moon landing was fake!!!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lqy0x6MEapC2p7kS7egOz3LzmKmmW612S7BfXbpukORatiBfarQYtwBAdxCde4x1