tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/21 8:54 a.m.

I seek a new podcast player for my Pixel phone. I am currently using Stitcher. It's okay.

 

Here are my priorities:

 

Maintain a list of unlistened podcasts from a library of favorites.

Seamlessly integrate with Android Auto, especially with skip ahead/back functions.

Display on the lock screen so I can pause and such easily.

Download/store under wifi and auto remove when listened to.

 

Bonus points if this can replace Amazon Music also (like Spotify maybe?). Amazon is ticking me off more and more these days, and they suddenly decide that an album is randomly no longer on the program without telling me, and the settings keep changing to autoplay stuff I don't have in my library.

wae
wae UberDork
8/4/21 9:06 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I've been using the basic Google podcasts app and it works pretty well.  The android auto integration was a big deal for me as well and it hits that mark really well.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/21 9:11 a.m.

I switched from Podcast Addict to Pocket Casts about a year ago because of Android Auto integration issues with Podcast Addict. I know for sure that Pocket Casts does everything you want, because I do those same things all the time with it. However, I think that the Google Podcasts app does them now, too. Back when I switched, it was still missing some critical features. I should switch to it, but I have a zillion subscriptions and ~180 downloaded episodes, so I'm too lazy to go through all t hat trouble.

In short, I'd try Google Podcasts. If you run into something that it doesn't have, give Pocket Casts a try.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/4/21 11:01 a.m.

I also use and basically like Pocket Casts. I haven't exercised all your bullet points, but it sounds like Tom has, so I'll just add another vote for "Pocket Casts is pretty good."

It's a small but nice detail, but I like that it backs up a few seconds when you come back to a podcast. That context helps.

I do find that it's not perfect about recording where I was in a particular podcast when I switch devices, but it tries.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/4/21 2:53 p.m.

I'm also a pocket cast user. I really don't like the Google podcast player. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/4/21 3:04 p.m.

Google podcast was annoying about 2 years ago when I first tried it.  But now its pretty decent.  Very low-frills, but it does all the things you ask, without a lot of the other bullE36 M3.

 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/5/21 6:12 a.m.

PocketCast as well.   Paid for the premium version years ago and have never regretted it

 

1.  Works perfect in Android Auto

2. Auto downloads of subscriptions

3. no ads (in paid ver)

 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/19/21 12:37 p.m.

I've been using Google Podcasts, and it's been better than Stitcher, but still not perfect. Please don't ever use the "skip empty space" or whatever it's called or you may have a seizure.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/19/21 12:44 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I've been using Google Podcasts, and it's been better than Stitcher, but still not perfect. Please don't ever use the "skip empty space" or whatever it's called or you may have a seizure.

Time for pocket cast then.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
8/27/21 1:47 p.m.

I've used Pocket Casts for the past 5 or so years—back when it was a pay-only app on Android. I've since moved back to iOS and it's great there too.

CollectingJunk
CollectingJunk New Reader
4/16/22 7:20 p.m.

I'll toss in another vote for Pocket Casts.  I've used it for years, and the Android Auto integration works well.

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/16/22 8:23 p.m.

Love Google Podcasts on my Pixel 5

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/22/23 9:16 a.m.

I just use Spotify.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/22/23 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I think this got canoed back from the dead. 

Also, can I interest you in Junk Connoisseurs listed in my signature? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/24 1:23 p.m.

Well...

 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/24 1:36 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I am in the same boat, not happy at all.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/24 1:48 p.m.

Still happily using Pocket Casts here. But my understanding is that with the retirement of Google Podcasts, the functionality is being moved over to Youtube. So I don't think you're completely hosed.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/24 1:55 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Still happily using Pocket Casts here. But my understanding is that with the retirement of Google Podcasts, the functionality is being moved over to Youtube. So I don't think you're completely hosed.

Do not want YouTube. It has more ads now than old style cable had when it was 22 minutes for a 30 minute show, plus YouTube doesn't let you lock the screen and still use it unless you pay.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/24 2:03 p.m.

Youtube? Gross. If you're on Android at least install NewPipe and do yourself a favor (including being able to use the player in the background with the screen off).

I've been using Pocket Casts for a dog's age (10+ years now) and it's excellent. 

I'd say Spotify is the gorilla in the room, but their podcast platform is terrible, awful, execrable, miserable, shameful, and all-around just not a great product. 

 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/24 2:42 p.m.
tuna55 said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Still happily using Pocket Casts here. But my understanding is that with the retirement of Google Podcasts, the functionality is being moved over to Youtube. So I don't think you're completely hosed.

Do not want YouTube. It has more ads now than old style cable had when it was 22 minutes for a 30 minute show, plus YouTube doesn't let you lock the screen and still use it unless you pay.

I misspoke. It's actually Youtube Music, which looks and acts a lot like Spotify. Might still have ads, though.

Anyhow, just use Pocket Casts...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/24 2:59 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
tuna55 said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Still happily using Pocket Casts here. But my understanding is that with the retirement of Google Podcasts, the functionality is being moved over to Youtube. So I don't think you're completely hosed.

Do not want YouTube. It has more ads now than old style cable had when it was 22 minutes for a 30 minute show, plus YouTube doesn't let you lock the screen and still use it unless you pay.

I misspoke. It's actually Youtube Music, which looks and acts a lot like Spotify. Might still have ads, though.

Anyhow, just use Pocket Casts...

I will try it. Youtube music, which I use sometimes, also doesn't do the locked screen thing, and does the ads thing. It's even worse because only like three companies do ads there, so I hear a bunch of ads for Reeses in a row.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xPrVgCv2jo85pbVzWOrBM4aQLn3DActPzOnSlVBFaQBDyzNojWwDuD5Eb5qMXVPi