1 2
cwh
cwh UberDork
4/13/12 9:22 a.m.

Walk out of my house this morning about 9:00. Police car blocking the road. Every intersection I could see, same thing. Had to go the LONG way around just to get out of the neighborhood. Got back about an hour later, most (not all) cops were gone. While I was gone Jane talked to the cop out front, found out that there had been another armed home invasion robbery, cops were checking all cars coming up the street, open trunks, looking real hard inside. That's at least 5 of these in the last 6 months. Glad to have Red now. Gotta get out of here.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/13/12 9:25 a.m.

Is Red a high power assault rifle or 12 gauge? LOL Good luck brother.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/13/12 9:39 a.m.

I have seen atleast one home invasion a week in the local news. This tuesday 3 armed gunmen busted into a home with a whole family sleeping in it and robbed them at gunpoint.

I have started to pay more attention when the dog barks during the wee hours. I do a lap and check the locks -we never, ever used to bother locking anything. I even replaced all the motion sensing spotlights because you have to be able to see your targets...

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/13/12 9:39 a.m.

Red is a 70 pound Rhodesian ridgeback/ pit mix whose voice was enough to impress a Ft. Lauderdale cop on a horse. He don't take no crap.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
4/13/12 9:41 a.m.

If Red isn't a gun, it better be something this sized:

Edit: I was too slow.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
4/13/12 9:43 a.m.

I love ridgebacks. Any dog that is bred to take down lions is A-OK.

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/13/12 9:43 a.m.

What he lacks in size (which is not much) he makes up for with a very protective attitude.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/13/12 10:08 a.m.

I woke up to police helicopters and a similar neighborhood lockdown in my old neighborhood. By that evening, I had a shotgun. Within 6 months I had a different house. The place had been going downhill, but that really brought it home just how much.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/13/12 10:20 a.m.

The violent crime index in my town is something like 6 times the national average.

I guess that's what happens to an area when the main commercial venture is drug trafficking.

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/13/12 10:28 a.m.

Around here, we see the young thuglets riding their bikes slowly, heads constantly turning and watching. Frankly, I think they would make nice moving targets.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/13/12 10:28 a.m.

I guess I'm lucky. I live in rural Texas in a very small community outside a small town. Go ahead and google Zephyr, TX. I'll wait....

Tiny isn't it? You see Brownwood about 10 miles northwest? That's where I work. Everyone in this area hunts and at least 85% of the population owns at least 1 firearm. Crime isn't really a concern other than morons getting busted for DWI's and meth. We don't really lock the house much, but we do when we remember. Only one home burglary has happened in the past 5 years I've been here and the thieves were caught within hours.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
4/13/12 11:31 a.m.
RossD wrote: If Red isn't a gun, it better be something this sized: Edit: I was too slow.

Wolfhound?

I had a few issues when I first moved into my house last year(it had been empty for 2yrs). One involving holding a carload of burglars at gunpoint......but since then, not a single issue. I live 30min from any town/city bigger than 3k people, so it was kind of weird.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/13/12 1:45 p.m.

Wolfhound?

Our wolfhound would unfortunately run and hide.

She's our 4th, and a real dinker-- just over 100 lbs. We got her as a rescue after she'd been kept in a kennel for 5 years as a breeding bitch at a mill.

Acts more like a prey animal than anything else.

Really sweet though when she's not driving you crazy...

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/13/12 1:53 p.m.

I'll tell you what, I don't care what they show or say on the news, hell a producer at a local station might just be trying to bump her ratings. And anyone that knows big-city crime "statistics" knows those are cooked more than the books of a Wall Street finance firm. But, when you see stuff getting out of hand in your own neighborhood, it's time to move.

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/13/12 2:08 p.m.

I am ready for a small trailer house on a large lot in the Redlands, which is an agricultural area of far southwest Dade County. Edge of the Everglades. Quiet, nobody around, but still has crime. Too many migrants roaming around, looking for stuff to steal. But a nice place regardless. Need a shotgun though. Nice and close to the Keys. Has to be too small for any roommates. Big yard for Red.

BARNCA
BARNCA HalfDork
4/13/12 2:27 p.m.

greenland nh lost there chief of police thursday night while attempting to serve a warrant. 4 other officers were injured.

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/13/12 2:39 p.m.

He was 2 weeks out from retirement, too - just like a movie script.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
4/13/12 3:48 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: I'll tell you what, I don't care what they show or say on the news, hell a producer at a local station might just be trying to bump her ratings. And anyone that knows big-city crime "statistics" knows those are cooked more than the books of a Wall Street finance firm. But, when you see stuff getting out of hand in your own neighborhood, it's time to move.

Appropriate avatar for content.

I agree, we have a city that is/was high on the nation's "best to live in/lowest crime rate" or w/e and the law there was known to handle undesireables off the record so it wouldn't show up and hurt the city's standing.

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/13/12 4:21 p.m.

That concept caused a police chief here to lose his job.

BARNCA
BARNCA HalfDork
4/13/12 4:25 p.m.
Duke wrote: He was 2 weeks out from retirement, too - just like a movie script.

it was actually one week from today..... really sucks..... i have alot of friends who are state police on the nh seacoast.. feelin bad for them.....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/12 7:12 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote:
ShadowSix wrote: I'll tell you what, I don't care what they show or say on the news, hell a producer at a local station might just be trying to bump her ratings. And anyone that knows big-city crime "statistics" knows those are cooked more than the books of a Wall Street finance firm. But, when you see stuff getting out of hand in your own neighborhood, it's time to move.
Appropriate avatar for content. I agree, we have a city that is/was high on the nation's "best to live in/lowest crime rate" or w/e and the law there was known to handle undesireables off the record so it wouldn't show up and hurt the city's standing.

I grew up in a summer resort.. a LOT of the crime was handled "off the books" so not to scare the tourists.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/13/12 8:06 p.m.

Recently a few miles away, there was a home invasion by police impersonators. It was obvious there was no warrant once they got in.

Stay safe. Carry weapons. Know your laws. Remember and repeat to the police, "I was in fear of my life."

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/13/12 8:22 p.m.

I picked my 'hood in no small part because of the lack of gang activity. Where I was living before I found this one, I was looking hard for a permanent house, even put an offer in on a foreclosure in what is considered a REAL nice n'hood.

Then I went to pick up the kid at school one day and the police had the road past her HS blocked off, choppers everywhere... there was a home invasion in the n'hood I was looking in. I was glad that one fell through. Then the redistricting happened, the new lines for her school added two neighborhoods that had already been profiled in the local scandal rag for gang activity. Nope, sorry, outta here.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/13/12 8:37 p.m.

There is crime in all 'hoods. In fact people in 'hood A often leave 'hood A to rob a house in a richer 'hood (B) so they know they wont be recognized and they will get better E36 M3 out of the deal. That's why I find some areas of my city funny. Just on the edge of the City of St. Louis, there is a street that has a 'hood full of houses worth 1,000,000+ and the 'hood across the street has busted up homes that would be impressive to go for 1,000. Things are funny like that.

I Am Keyser Söze
I Am Keyser Söze SuperDork
4/13/12 9:50 p.m.

Don't feel bad, I have had 2 home invasions, and a mugging from a murder to steal my neighbors car, AFTER he visited my house and my wife (my dog ran him off)

3 violent crimes, less than 200 yards from my house in 1 year.

I live in BF Tennessee

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2ZmIClf8tyL53wdVRNJRFtyr72a2XRUomMTwohPf6NaeGYDj4SR6sfJktkfKHviJ