1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
11/7/13 2:46 p.m.

Hey guys,

I ultimately want to put in a whole house fully auto start and transfer generator at my house, but it isn't in the budget right now even though I can bacisally do the whole install myself. I do however want to get a generator for this winter as I don't want to be caught with my pants down again during the long power outages we experience due to storms around here. In my searching I have found a few generators that I like, but I am unsure of the brands. The one I am looking at the most is a Westinghouse model that is made in China, but then again so is basically everything else I have found. It is this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WH7000EC-Portable-Generator-Compliant/dp/B006HZ4FFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383855986&sr=8-1&keywords=westinghouse+generator+wh7000ec

Which seems like a good deal for that size genset. I have found it local for $999, and on ebay for about $40 cheaper than on Amazon. What do you guys think of this brand? I also have found this one as well that is interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-SGX7500-Commercial-Generator-/290971929888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bf474d20#ht_781wt_896

More money, but the Subaru name is a good one in my opinion. I have also found some Black Max Honda powered generators that are interesting.

I need the generator to run my well pump for water(240 volt), a fridge or two, a oil fired boiler for heat, and some lights. I think 7000-7500 watts running with a larger peak will be best. What do you guys think. Stay away from cheap Chinese stuff? Is Subaru made in Japan or China? I know the cars are made in Japan, and the USA, but no idea on this small stuff. I will most likely sell the genset next year or pass it on to my parents so I don;t want to spend too much, but I also want something decent as I am not around when the weather is at its worst.

Thanks,

Chris

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/7/13 3:45 p.m.

I doubt that Subaru generator has anything to do with the Subaru you are thinking of. It's probably a licensing thing, and that's likely all you're getting in the price difference. It sure looks like a generic made in China Generator to me.

I expect anything you'll be looking at in that price range will be made in China, but that's not a terrible thing, because they're pretty good. That wattage will probably do the job fine.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/7/13 5:42 p.m.

Subaru=fuji heavy, so probably a step above the Chinese Honda knockoffs.

If you go Chinese honda knockoff, and those engines are usually quite good, (so I'd expect the same from the gen head) they're going to be priced by whatever meaningless shell of a name is slapped on it, so I see no point in spending more than the bare minimum. http://www.harborfreight.com/8750-peak7000-running-watts-13-hp-420cc-gas-generator-68530.html

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/7/13 6:38 p.m.

For that price you may be able to buy a whole motor home with an old Onan in it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/7/13 7:11 p.m.

I have a Honduh powered Black Max, like 7 / 8.xKW. It was one large at Sam's. I put that with a HF whole house generator switch in a generator shack, "The Finest Outhouse in Arkansas," as we call it, 'cuz that's what it looks like. I don't think we've been without power for more than 15 minutes since I put it in. That's just how it works.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/7/13 7:52 p.m.

I had a honda 6500es. Twin cylinder inline. OHC. Water cooled.

Buy a Honda. Expensive but sips gas. Dosent break and has a really forgiving carb.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
11/7/13 9:46 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: For that price you may be able to buy a whole motor home with an old Onan in it.

But I don't need or want a motor home. I have a camper.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/7/13 10:51 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: For that price you may be able to buy a whole motor home with an old Onan in it.

Doubt that will get you 220.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/7/13 10:56 p.m.

Those will be extremely noisy. Our Honda was whisper quite, you would have a hard time hearing it running from more than six feet away. It was recently stolen

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
11/8/13 10:46 a.m.

Is there a difference in a true Honda genset, and a Honda engine in another package like the Black Max?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
11/8/13 11:07 a.m.

I've got a 7500-watt Coleman with a Tecumseh engine that works fine, but damn is that thing loud. If I ever replace it, I'll consider one with a Honda engine, or at least pay attention to how loud it is before I buy it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/6/15 4:01 p.m.

Reviving this thread to ask a question and it seems like maybe it's answered above anyway.

Looking at 1000w portable "suitcase" generators. I was going to ask if there was anything other than Honda worth looking at, if quiet and reliable operation were the main priorities.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/6/15 4:11 p.m.
Duke wrote: I was going to ask if there was anything other than Honda worth looking at, if quiet and reliable operation were the main priorities.

There is a Yamaha that the RV crowd seems to love. I have not used one and only observed comments online.

I however have used honda generators of all sizes to save my bacon and believe they are worth every penny.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/6/15 4:12 p.m.

A friend had one of the Powerhorse suitcase generators (from Northern tools) at Nats last year. It was fairly quiet and worked well. It was run quite a bit too. Honda would be a better one, but the price difference is a bit.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/7/15 11:43 a.m.

Yeah, that's my issue. The NTH Powerhouse is effectively half the price of the Honda, but it's about 5dB louder at full chat (59dB vs. 64dB). I also don't know about reliability, but I could afford to buy one and replace it for the cost of the Honda.

I love Honda small-engine products but 100% price difference is a hard sell. The Yammie looks nice and quiet (and is a few pounds lighter) but it's about the same price as the Honda.

Thanks, gents.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 12:09 p.m.

I've had one of the Northern generators for years.

This one except mine is blue.

It works fine. Not a quiet as the Honda, but at less than half the price I can live with it.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
5/7/15 12:39 p.m.
Duke wrote: Yeah, that's my issue. The NTH Powerhouse is effectively half the price of the Honda, but it's about 5dB louder at full chat (59dB vs. 64dB). I also don't know about reliability, but I could afford to buy one and replace it for the cost of the Honda. I love Honda small-engine products but 100% price difference is a hard sell. The Yammie looks nice and quiet (and is a few pounds lighter) but it's about the same price as the Honda. Thanks, gents.

Just keep in mind that the dB scale is logarithmic. 3dB is 2 times louder, so 5 db is significantly louder, not just a little bit.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/7/15 12:44 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
Duke wrote: Yeah, that's my issue. The NTH Powerhouse is effectively half the price of the Honda, but it's about 5dB louder at full chat (59dB vs. 64dB). I also don't know about reliability, but I could afford to buy one and replace it for the cost of the Honda. I love Honda small-engine products but 100% price difference is a hard sell. The Yammie looks nice and quiet (and is a few pounds lighter) but it's about the same price as the Honda. Thanks, gents.
Just keep in mind that the dB scale is logarithmic. 3dB is 2 times louder, so 5 db is significantly louder, not just a little bit.

Yeah, I know, it's significant. Thank you.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 12:46 p.m.

I have one of these from Cabela's, I assume it is Chinese. It has never given me any problems, starts every time, and has run for 24 hours or more without issue. It sounds like a chopper landing in your back yard however. I use it to keep the fridge cold and the furnace fan blowing and some lights on during winter outages. We can even fire up the TV. The point being, even an el-cheapo generator is not bad these days, so you should be fine with whatever you choose.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/7/15 1:50 p.m.

FWIW, it's not terribly difficult to build a sound attenuating enclosure for a generator like these, although you do need to make sure you give it enough air flow.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
5/7/15 2:32 p.m.

Or just to bolt on a better muffler.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/7/15 3:23 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I have one of these from Cabela's, I assume it is Chinese. It has never given me any problems, starts every time, and has run for 24 hours or more without issue. It sounds like a chopper landing in your back yard however. I use it to keep the fridge cold and the furnace fan blowing and some lights on during winter outages. We can even fire up the TV. The point being, even an el-cheapo generator is not bad these days, so you should be fine with whatever you choose.

I also have this exact generator, but mine came from tsc. It started on the first pull out of the box and have never given me any trouble. I think I gave 400. If sound ever becomes an issue I'll deal with it, but so far it has not been a problem.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/15 3:58 p.m.

I think Carroll Smith says in one of his books: "When buying a generator, if you want a tool, get the Honda. Everything else is just a toy." or something like that.

I don't have any generators, but I thought that quote was worth sharing.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/17/19 12:08 p.m.

Canoe????

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/17/19 12:52 p.m.

Zombie Thread, Canoe Deleted

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e8Pc6EoWELP59hxmNTAkMe4Wd24XCchailHa9Yoi7IPZbVsxsJZKX4wnNrkJSa9r