1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
10/3/19 2:22 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Have you ever visited the Keytle  Morain area of north Eastern Wisconsin?  

You get the interesting terrain changes of Mountains without the issues of mountains. It’s the topography where the last ice age shoved boulders and rocks around making for trees, farms, lakes, and forests without the repetitive sameness  for endless miles.  

Then there is that addictive 4 miles of Road America. With those three looong straights followed by really serious corners, the Hurry downs and the carousel. Fantastic amenities including the best food concession at any race track. Run by a local church that’s proud of the quality they bring.  

Lakes and farms at modest prices yet decent paying jobs.  True rural sophistication. Decent restaurants or modest diners.  Enough history  to make things interesting yet  not so stodgy that 5 generations are needed to be born there before you’re accepted. 

Winters while serious reward glorious springs and comfortable summers. Falls filled with color and the smells of harvesting.   

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/12/21 5:26 a.m.

*edit - after posting I saw this is a zombie thread: DOH!*

So if its just about mountains, space, and cooler temps; you could move about 60 miles due west and get what you want while still being in Maryland (I went to Frostburg).  In LaVale I only really needed air conditioning for the house about 1 week out of the year.  Jobs can be somewhat tricky, but there is CSX (railroad) that might be an employment possibility for your skill set.  The bonus is that if you do have friends locally to you in Westminister that its only a daytrip to see them.  That said, jobs are the major crunch up there. Plus Cumberland itself has some significant drug problems (all the small rural town opiate/heroin type thing) as well as it has a federal prision that has attracted the families of some guests. (dont move to Cumberland itself, live OUT of town and you would be a lot happier. Frostburg town itself is a small college town with what comes with it).  There is also ATK over in Rocket Center WV to look at for jobs. People were generally nice, but the pace of life was a lot slower, in a good luck getting things done on a weekend way. Everyone had better things to do on a weekend.  Its very post-industrial and struggling to get back to some shade of what it once was. Right now they are trying a lot with tourism (though the major draw for that is deep creek lake), marketing to 100% telework professionals, though, sadly, the have set themselves up a bit with the prison situation. 

I'm mainly throwing it out because its something I know. Wife and I left due to jobs situation and wanting more access to city culture opportunities. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/21 11:18 a.m.

So where did he move?

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
3/12/21 7:09 p.m.

Summer in the NE is nice to do summer things

Fall is nice to do fall things.

Winter is nice to do winter things

Spring is getting ready for summer things.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/12/21 7:21 p.m.
MaryMiller said:

Oh, moving is always very difficult, no matter how many things you do not want to leave, not to mention if you have several cars.

LiamLambert said:

Oh, moving is always very difficult, no matter how many things you do not want to leave, not to mention if you have several cars.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/21 8:09 p.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/12/21 8:45 p.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

How long do you want to live?  Seriously.  The further south you go the shorter the average life.  
Hawaii and Minnesota are the longest lived states.    

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/12/21 9:47 p.m.

Guys, canoes revived a zombie thread from fall 2019. I fell for it and typed up a response and put in an edit right after posting it.

3/13/21 6:46 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Yes, but moving is always very difficult, no matter how many things you do not want to leave, not to mention if you have several cars.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/13/21 8:54 a.m.
iansane said:

So where did he move?

I didnt yet.  We are still flopping back and forth.

Id love to move to the DeepCreek area, but the job situation is definitely a major downfall.  At least in the PNW there is plenty of people with japanese turbo cars ;) 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/13/21 8:54 p.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Westminster, MD is where you want to be to work on japanese turbo cars. Have you seen the number of subarus IAG and Agile blow up? 

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
3/14/21 1:33 p.m.

what's wrong with where you are ?   Four seasons,   Big hills aka Mtns.   Lots of trees.

Presidents like it.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/4/23 7:50 a.m.

Check out the YouTube challenge World According to Briggs. He gives stats and facts above opinions. You can then take those stats and facts and do more research. 
plus, he's entertaining. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/4/23 11:28 a.m.

I second  the world according to Briggs  as a good source of fairly unbiased opinion.  Plus he makes it all interconnected in a interesting way  that's easy to listen to. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
9/4/23 11:33 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Canoe

Yes, but moving is always very difficult, no matter how many things you do not want to leave, not to mention if you have several cars.

9/4/23 11:36 a.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

Canoe

Yes, but moving is always very difficult, no matter how many things you do not want to leave, not to mention if you have several cars.

Well played, my friend.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
9/4/23 11:41 a.m.

wink

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
9/4/23 11:57 a.m.

I've heard Bangalore is nice... with plenty of exotic Switchboard Operators and counterfeit cash easily available.  You might even score some love potion if you want forever friend.  

Edit:  whoops I found a new word filter

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/4/23 1:21 p.m.
mad_machine said:

well, any place is less humid than MD. The Bay does a very good job of putting water into the air. Something to watch out for.. I do not know if Maryland does it, but NJ has an "exit tax" that kicks in if you sell your home and immediately move out of state. Only way around it is to sell a year early and rent a place. Otherwise they tax the profits on your home sale on an "estimated" value instead of actual.

Wow. They really aren't happy about people bailing out to escape their high cost of living. I'm surprised California doesn't do the same. Lot's of New Jersey plates here in Texas. But don't come here. It was up to 105 last week. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/5/23 2:27 p.m.

Timely canoe, recently discovered this site: https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/ 

I adblock the daylights out of my browser, so I don't know if it's terrible without one.

Thinking about jumping state just for the weather, this summer in central TX has me beat

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/23 11:16 p.m.

Central WA, NE WA, and Northern Idaho are all fairly similar and are fantastic.

True 4 seasons of weather, spectacular scenery, less people than the Seattle area. 

It's utterly fantastic here. 

I mean, it's awful, please don't move here. 

But if you do, I might need some fab work...

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/31/23 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Yes, but moving is always very difficult, no matter how many things you do not want to leave, not to mention if you have several cars.

That's a valid point, having ample garage space is crucial, especially in a snowy area like New Hampshire.

Edit: In memory of

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
10/31/23 10:08 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

You mean canoe storage, right? 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jd6c3QD5TB9hShcxXHuyGUZv7CWBXityTAwUBBzW8gX5uRmaDobq1ftaccBOG2XO