Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/21/17 7:41 p.m.

Messing around in the garage and the angle grinder got tired of me abusing it.

Does anyone sell affordable gloves that will protect against this?    4.5" grinding disc that bounced.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/21/17 7:46 p.m.

Harbor freight leathers welding gloves dont.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/21/17 7:48 p.m.

berkeley. OW.  

I don't have personal experience but these look better than nothing. Click the pic.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/17 7:59 p.m.

I use angle grinders a lot. Leather is what you want. Those photos above will give little if any protection. Unless they are designed for it. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/17 8:03 p.m.

Leather doesn't help much, but it's better than nothing. A flap wheel spinning 14k goes through them almost as fast as it does your skin. BTDT, through a good pair of gloves. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/21/17 8:07 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

They are

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/17 8:42 p.m.

I also weild angle grinder a ton and I use gloves almost exactly like those pictured above to build the Rice Rod. They are surprisingly protective. They've saved my skin from cutting discs, grinders, and flap discs many times. I only started using them because my work provides them for free. They're also flexible enough that you have more control to keep jumps from happening in the first place. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/21/17 8:44 p.m.

My cousin was telling me about a pair of thin carbon fiber weaved gloves his friend gave him--he got them from the Toyota plant. My cousin has not been able to find them, and neither have I--anyone know what these are?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/21/17 11:09 p.m.

I think you need chain mail gloves, or a better guard on your grinder.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/21/17 11:13 p.m.

The death wheel is the only tool in the shop that I truly fear.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/22/17 1:00 a.m.

Hours and hours of fab time with cutoff discs, grinding wheels and flap discs. No assist handle (gets in the way) and no guard (can't see with it on).

I wear a face shield but no gloves, have barked my fingers a couple times but it teaches you to keep them away from the wheel.

You can't feel when you're absentmindedly touching the wheel with your glove until you're through the glove and then it's not doing anything anyway.

I tend to avoid gloves with most machinery, not with a bandsaw, not with a sander, bench grinder, lathe, mill or drill press. It's just a good way to have something grab your hand and haul it into the machinery.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/17 6:56 a.m.

When I was doing a lot of rebuilds of Porsche steering shafts I used both an angle grinder and a knotted wire wheel on a bench grinder. The wire wheel was by far the more likely to bite you.  I found the tighter leather gloves were better than loose ones as you could feel when the wheel hits the glove and it gave you time to pull your hand away.  The leather gloves will only take three or four hits in the same spot before you went through.  Cutting wheels are a different problem. They will cut through leather as well as skin (it is skin after all).  But again tighter fitting will let you feel the blade before it actually cuts you so it gives you that second to react. Thinking about it more leather is more of a warning aid than actual protection. Used as such it is helpful.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/22/17 7:11 a.m.

Gloves should not be used around machinery that spins such as a drill press or an engine lathe.  

There is a glove for every application. Choose wisely. 

https://www.esafetysupplies.com/collections/cut-resistance-and-sleeves

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/17 8:48 a.m.

I make it SOP to always use two hands on the grinder. Keeps them away from the disc and makes it less likely to jump at the same time.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/17 9:28 a.m.

I have been bit by them all. Sanders are particularly gruesome. The worst though have been my Japanese pull saws. It's like getting cut with a fine sword without the smooth edge.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cDVGiMM701ZXIdYwFaBglaP7NqrjEyvzfELPAseB5dZh6pIqUSiUS0cKwFS6cTUV