alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/3/24 9:12 a.m.

And by that, I mean death.

We all die, can't avoid that what so ever.  Sometimes it's sudden and tragic.  Sometimes it's a slow disease and really painful.  And many times it's just that people get old and they run out of energy.

It's always sad.  Always.  Some cultures celebrate your life.  Some it's just wearing black for a long time.  We miss who is lost.

It seems that many never want to talk about it.  And never prepare for it.  I get that, it's a hard subject.  But for the sake of your estate, and their mourning, please take some burden off of their shoulders and prepare for it.  More than once, I've seen the chaos and confusion that can last a long time-and people should not have to add all of that to an already bad state of mind.

I will suggest a legal will or a trust depending on your situation.  Again, it's not to avoid the family fights over stuff, it's to avoid the confusion and probate court that just takes time, stretching the hard part of death out really long.  

Please check your state requirement and find a way to have a will or trust.  You love your family- this is for them, not for you.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
10/3/24 9:29 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Nicely stated!

Nobody gets out of life alive, make the hard times easier for those that are left.

12/10 stars for this message.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/3/24 10:02 a.m.

Well said. 

(I'm meeting with my attorney tomorrow)

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/24 10:17 a.m.

I agree a thousand percent. A little bit of effort on our part while we're alive will save our families so much unneeded stress.

My girlfriend is a vocal death positive person. Not that dying is good in anyway but that it should be taboo to talk about and more importantly prepare for. We're all going to die. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/3/24 10:34 a.m.

FlL had a trust, it helped a lot after he was gone.  It convinced me to get one, a couple days of planning for what happens if you die now or in the future is especially important if you have kids of any age.   I know what happens to them if I die today and if the next three people in line go with me.  Feels strange for a minute as if you are making a plan to die but that part works its self out.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/3/24 10:50 a.m.

Also, get rid of stuff while you're physically and mentally capable of it.

I'm the baby of the family and expect to take months going through generations of things that have accumulated.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/3/24 10:56 a.m.
akylekoz said:

FlL had a trust, it helped a lot after he was gone.  It convinced me to get one, a couple days of planning for what happens if you die now or in the future is especially important if you have kids of any age.   I know what happens to them if I die today and if the next three people in line go with me.  Feels strange for a minute as if you are making a plan to die but that part works its self out.

It was weird and uncomfortable, for sure.  But after we finished, it was very relaxing.  Kind of lifted a burden off of us- especially since we don't have kids.

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
10/3/24 11:29 a.m.

Without getting into all of it, we are bracing for a terrible time with all this on my wife's side. Between misconceptions on how an estate should be split up to flat-out stated ill wishes, it is going to be a mess. Step-MIL won't allow FIL to set up a will, and we've had to remind him that when he says "I want you to have [] or []" we can't actually take it if step-MIL doesn't gift it to us. Both are in poor health, but his is poorer. Then there's the hoarding aspect. My wife tries to help, but she can't do much from 600 miles away. We've explained to them that they've accumulated so much stuff, more will get thrown out than kept. There's a real chance that the cost of actually clearing out everything will largely negate the value of the things we'd keep since we'd probably have to contract out most of the removal. An estate sale doesn't work well when the estate has two rooms *not* filled with boxes.  

They're looking at hospice now for grand-MIL. Take a wild guess if she has a will... 

For our kids, we outlined custody in the will as well as a trust to be established. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/3/24 11:50 a.m.

I have two  3" wide binders with all my financial information that I keep up to date AKA my death information.  If I die today you can get all you need in these binders.  

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
10/3/24 1:59 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Well said.  My wife and I set up a trust close to 10 years ago now and yes it is indeed a very humbling experience.  My wife had dealt with her parent's estate and we wanted to make sure things were as orderly as possible for our kids when it's our turn.  We've also been watching close friends that have been dealing with a nightmare estate settlement in their family that's going into a third year now.  No thanks.

I finally convinced my parents early this year to get their estate into a trust, my mother was resisting hard.  It took a bit of persistence but she actually thanked me after they had met with the attorney. Prior to that they had a will from when my sister and I were still in high school, better than nothing I guess but we're all at a different stage of life.  I'm grateful that they listened and put things together.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/3/24 3:36 p.m.

Yeah, we’ve had “the talk” with my folks and everything’s down on paper. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/3/24 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

My Mom had binders too. They are NOT a substitute for wills, trusts, TODs, and proper estate planning. 

Edit: And if you are blessed to live to be 88 like my Mom was, I PROMISE those binders won't be anywhere close to current regardless of how good you think you've maintained them. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/3/24 4:35 p.m.

Pretty sure the Lizard King was an authority on estate planning.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.azquotes.com%2Fpicture-quotes%2Fquote-no-one-here-gets-out-alive-jim-morrison-34-97-30.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=02eb05cde94fe2fe84bd62536d6d46e1750c7d9091592c7640dbe735ff72e785&ipo=images

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/3/24 4:36 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I'm not saying they were.  I'm saying all the paperwork is in one spot to look at. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/3/24 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Just checking. 

My Mom's binders were completely outdated (though she thought they were current).

My Dad had binders too. His were utter nonsense. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/3/24 4:47 p.m.

I've known my father-in-law for 42 years now and I've been a son to him. Recently I asked about a CD he had and I asked how much he had in it and he wouldn't tell me.  Not close enough to him yet?

This is s good topic cause there's too much confusion and secrecy with families and financials and people final wishes.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/3/24 6:06 p.m.

If you do not have a trust then the government gets a bigger piece and gets to decide how to break up your estate. If that does not put the fear of god in you then you better have a negative net worth. 

Even at my estate size it ony cost around 2.5k to get done and mine is not easy to put on paper. Normal person should be 500$. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/3/24 7:45 p.m.

I had a front row seat to one of these situations. My ex wife fought cancer for 4 hard years and died at the age of 41.......With....no....will....or...anything...

Such a huge and collosal mess she left for our two underage daughters when she passed. I couldn't imagine fighting stage 4 cancer for four years and not getting things in order, but she did.

My current wife and myself went to a local family attorney and got all of our poop in a group. It didn't cost much at all and it was quick and easy.  I sleep better at night.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/3/24 11:13 p.m.

Always make sure to have a good friend who can be trusted to stop by after your demise and wipe the browsing history on your computer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4cqAuSJw1FRorQ1zA0EaUHvEQNETL7MZI0ByAxDDNtwzVDzddVba5X7DxhNfrhBw