Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/10/11 11:14 a.m.
failboat wrote:

Bahahaha! Nice.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
11/10/11 11:16 a.m.

As far as I'm concerned everyone involved has got out of this with way too few/little repercussions. From university police (why not the local city cops btw), district attorney, grad student/assistant who didn't intervene or call the cops at the time of witnessing a felony in progress, Joe who didn't push the issue and anyone/everyone else who had any inkling of what was going on, and Sandusky is still alive... These folks failed legally, morally, ethically.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/10/11 11:16 a.m.
failboat wrote:

lolzalot

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/10/11 11:17 a.m.

In reply to oldtin:

University Police ARE the police there.

Thats at least the case around here.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/10/11 11:18 a.m.

Rioters should be shot with rubber bullets for the first 5 minutes of a riot. Then they get lead! Riots stop fast that way.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
11/10/11 11:23 a.m.

Maybe different from Univ of kansas - there were local town police and university police. University police were useless - more like a poorly trained company security dept than real police (there were also issues in KS with university police not pressing charges against athletes for similar stuff).

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/10/11 11:27 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Rioters should be shot with rubber bullets for the first 5 minutes of a riot. Then they get lead! Riots stop fast that way.

Round here we have codes for riots. Smallest, the whole department shoes up, larger, so does state, and their tough, then everyone else around. (there are 43 municipal cities around here.) highest everyone turns and runs.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/10/11 11:35 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Oh, and I think it's a little unceremonious to just kick Paterno out on his ass. Did he screw up by not calling the police? Yea, little bit. But the dude is a living legend, the longest-tenured football coach in history by a couple decades. He should at least be allowed to finish the season and retain what little shred of honor he can after they drag him through the criminal case.

I have been a huge JoPa fan for over 30 years. This time, I'm gonna have to side with the Board of Trustees.

Please understand- I'm not accusing Paterno.

However, the Board is privy to significantly more information than we are.

Apparently, the allegations are bad enough for them to make public something that was terrible for their reputation.

Additionally, Paterno had already resigned. He was essentially saying there may be a reason for his resignation.

If the Board had allowed JoPa to coach on Sat for his last home game, it would have turned into an enormous sendoff celebration. If allegations later became convictions for anyone involved, Saturday's celebrations would have gone down in history as the college's unrivaled pedophilia party.

I am assuming at this point that the Board has information we do not have, and are anticipating future convictions (not just allegations) that would make their legal position, and the school's reputation, to be tenuous at best. They didn't need a big hoopla that would later make every possible internet site as the Ivy League pedophilia party.

It's tremendously sad, but I think the board did the right thing (for the good of the school) not allowing JoPa to coach this Sat.

Tough times ahead for Penn State.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/10/11 11:46 a.m.

New story just broke that old Sandusky might have been pimping out boys to influential/hige $$$ donors.

If true, a firing squad isn't cruel enough.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/10/11 12:14 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Tough times ahead for Penn State.

yeah, especially now that everyone knows Penn is short for Pennsylvania!?! Who knew?

Pennsylvania - AKA the France of the USA.

11/10/11 12:20 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Tough times ahead for Penn State.

Nah. This too shall pass.

The 2 guys who were charged will get some light sentencing for not reporting a crime. PSU will fire everyone close to the scene. The media will get bored and go back to upskirt shots of celebs in less than a week.

Otherwise, this isn't about Penn State, JoePa or football except that until now they have been known for their complete lack of scandals. It is really about a serial pedophile and the crimes he committed in their backyard.

I went there because they were a top 10 engineering school that I could just about afford at $96/credit - I had no idea they were national football champs that year. I suspect most people aside from football players pick a school for other reasons than the football program. I'd still send my kids without any issues. It isn't like the whole place is full of boy rapists.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/10/11 12:23 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: New story just broke that old Sandusky might have been pimping out boys to influential/hige $$$ donors. If true, a firing squad isn't cruel enough.

I hear bolts slamming shut as we speak.

11/10/11 12:23 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: New story just broke that old Sandusky might have been pimping out boys to influential/hige $$$ donors. If true, a firing squad isn't cruel enough.

Link please.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/10/11 12:29 p.m.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/10/11 12:29 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Link please.

It's purely a rumor at this point. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/10/penn-state-scandal-rumors-sandusky-pimping_n_1086099.html

That's a truly horrifying rumor though

Edit: Guess I'm slow

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/10/11 12:32 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Link please.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/10/11 1:23 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

i have to disagree with you on nearly all of your points.

I agree that the board is likely privy to more information than is currently public, however the rest is at best conjecture.

the university did not make the allegations public, the grand jury investigation and resulting charges are what made the whole situation public. the university is only now dealing with what it should have handled back in at latest 2002. this is why there are two people charged for not reporting the crime to the authorities. the police have also made it clear that JoePa is not under investigation and actually testified for the grand jury.

JoePa did not resign. his contract was due to expire at the end of this season, and he decided that rather than waste the board of trustees time with deciding whether or not to extend his contract further, he would go ahead and retire. the police, again, have made clear that he is not under any investigation for the alleged cover up. he reported what was reported to him to his superiors and they (allegedly) did nothing about it.

ultimately, ASSuming that there are no forthcoming allegations of wrongdoing on the part of Joe Paterno, it will go down as the worst possible send-off for the winningest and longest running coach in NCAA history.

i think the board did what they think will most make it look like they are "doing something" about this scandal. the way the joepa firing was handled looks like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic to me. why is the AD who did nothing about the reports still employed by the school? because like any large organization, the people at the very top have no problem canning every single person below them if it means they might get to keep collecting a paycheck.

agreed that there are tough times ahead for penn state, at least for the football program. they had already had several top recruits decommit from the school in the running up to this whole thing breaking wide open.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/10/11 1:29 p.m.

I rarely listen to Mark Madden on local sports radio. He's loud, boisterous but extremely confident in his reporting. I think he really has something here w/ the pimping story, only time will tell.

.... so maybe the Board knows more of what's coming down the road, I would surely think so. The Board of Trustees has over 30 members who voted unanimously to oust the PSU president and Joe Pa. You would think even a few trustees would want to keep Joe Pa given his stature but no, not one... that speaks volumes.

11/10/11 1:35 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: You would think even a few trustees would want to keep Joe Pa given his stature but no, not one... that speaks volumes.

The volumes spoken have less to do with this scandal than old hatchets, methinks.

He has had a contentious relationship with the board for many years and has been asked to step down by them twice in the last decade. His popularity made it suicide to fire him and they were unable to persuade him to walk.

One might surmise there was more than one bird killed by that firing.

11/10/11 1:43 p.m.

No berkeleying way. Even Irony itself is surprised.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/10/11 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

Don't mind you disagreeing a bit.

There is a bit of hair splitting about the difference between "resigning" and "retiring". Not renewing a contract that was presumed to be a done deal is kind of the same thing as resigning.

There's a lot of people who understood it to be a "resignation":

article on Paterno resignation

Strizzo wrote: ... because like any large organization, the people at the very top have no problem canning every single person below them if it means they might get to keep collecting a paycheck.

Your suggestion that the Board did it to protect their paychecks indicates that you may not understand the role of a Board of Trustees. According to the Corporate Charter of the Pennsylvania State University, no member of the Board is allowed to receive compensation for his services, except for travel expenses.

So what is your explanation of the rush to prevent the final game of his illustrious career?

11/10/11 1:54 p.m.
SVreX wrote: So what is your explanation of the rush to prevent the final game of his illustrious career?

Can you imagine the media circus at the game? On national television? I can see the whole room wincing at the very idea of it.

That and they have wanted him gone for years. That is no secret. It was suicide to can him before. There might have been a little zealousness to see it done while he is down.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/10/11 2:06 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Having been one of the not so smart people who have read the Grand Jury report (and unless you want to be very disturbed by the allegations against Sandusky, don't), what I read in there was that Paterno reported a very detailed report to the AD, who was supposed to do something as well as the VP.

They did not, we all agree on that.

But then the lack of action by Paterno let the liabilty of Penn State be very, very exposed- since he knew of an allegation of a felony, one against a minor, he saw the alleged back on campus, at his practice, and use Penn State property for his programs. And with children that were listed as victims.

Opening up the liabilty of an organization that badly is generally grounds to be fired.

Had they done nothing, that action would have been rather bright in the eyes of a jury who will reward victims with money. They really had no choice but to fire him, I think.

There are TONS of deeper questions about past events, all of which I have seen are being investigated as well. On a sports board I read, there are tons of reports that this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. One poster's relative is a cop in Pittsburg- "tip of the iceburg" is what was quoted.

The ones who are struggling with this the most are the ones who know how far Paterno's knowledge and reach really go, and they have been implying about some rather sad things for them. Some think he absolutely knew about the 1998 incident and subsuquent investigation. Sad.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/10/11 2:33 p.m.

I think we are in agreement, Alfa.

Maybe I worded it poorly, but I'm not seeing anything in your post that is contrary to what I was trying to say.

Except maybe the Grand Jury thing. And no, I have no intention of reading it.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/10/11 3:15 p.m.

Originally published in the Beaver County Times Online: Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:55 pm

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadden.html?article=9380828

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
73jkChc3TDkzbMpyIsQpwN2TTjNMqKEj9IVFk87fO9xAEaxVaWV0JpG980nS2Jmc