slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/24/18 3:55 p.m.

So I'm going to be driving my 2002 Camry until it dies, so about 10 more years or so. My state just passed a hands-free phone law and I'm just not happy with the options I've tried. My wife's car has built-in bluetooth and it is awesome. I want something similar in my own car, with maybe a bit more high tech like a touch screen and possibly Android Auto.

My buddy has a double-din touch screen setup in his 2004 Expedition and it is a clean install. So clean in fact it doesn't even look aftermarket, which is what I'm looking to do as well. I don't need a fancy looking stereo, I want something that just looks boring when the car is off.

I know jack about these units, but I know I want one that is static, not one that flips out of the dash. My factory radio is a plain Toyota double-din unit, so it should be a simple install.

So anyone have recommendations? Good experiences? Crappy junk I should avoid?

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
8/24/18 4:16 p.m.

I bought a crappy junk Chinese off brand unit from Amazon about two and a half years ago. I paid less than $120. It came with Bluetooth, GPS, DVD, CD and a bunch of other stuff. The GPS map SD card was included. Except for a rather weak radio receiver I've been very happy with it. The unit looks factory.  A friend of mine went for the for a Pioneer unit that rang in closer to $800.  I'm sure it sounds better but I can't tell the difference.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/24/18 4:19 p.m.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

So far my #1 choice is the Sony XAV-AX100 since it's one of the cheapest option from a name brand with an actual volume knob and Android Auto.

Sorely tempted by the Chinese knockoffs but worried about long term reliability and sound quality (reports of hissing etc)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/24/18 4:19 p.m.

I just did a high end kenwood double din touchscreen in an 03 chevy box truck. Doesn't get more similar than that.

Ibe always been pleased with kenwood Bluetooth, and their android auto was pretty seamless. 

Id start there. But in a much more downmarket unit like i personally run in my stuff (single din, no screed, buttons, etc)

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/24/18 4:26 p.m.

I put a JVC KW‑V230BT in my 1990 S10. I chose it because of the audio control. It was apple and android compatible, and there was a step up from that model with satellite radio stuff I didn't want. Less than $300 for the head unit and it came with a mic for phone stuff (I didn't install it)

Not the cleanest install, but I didn't have enough interest in making a custom faceplate. (Chevy stuff used a oddball 1.5DIN factory unit and nobody makes anything to adapt it)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
8/24/18 4:36 p.m.

Sony XAV-AX100

Just put this in the lightning. Took about an hour. Biggest issue was removing extra material in the dash. Apple Carplay is nice and I use it for navigation and direct Pandora control.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/18 4:44 p.m.

I put a Pioneer unit in the wife’s 01 Highlander as the stock head unit was starting to get a little flaky.

Just used an install kit and a wiring adapter solution.  Plopped it in like stock, ran the microphone over to the top of the steering column.  Boom done.

It can play movies and backup camera, etc, but we’re not utilizing that at the moment.  I dislike the push button volume control as I prefer a rotary knob.

compared to the touchscreen setup in my Focus, it’s nowhere near as good as the phone integration isn’t as good.  Bluetooth and Pandora work well though.  A newer gen device with Android or Apple integration is better as navigation and voice control tends to work much, much better.

the position in the dash leaves it hard to see when the sun shines on it, but that’s more about this particular car’s dash configuration.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/18 5:02 p.m.

I don't know anything about the install, but the Pioneer unit in the G35 is outstanding. The installer even made it work with the controls on the steering wheel. The Bluetooth connects instantly and picks up wherever it left off and the hands free for phone calls is crystal clear on both ends. I love it. 

Makes me want to install one in my work truck. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/24/18 5:44 p.m.

Got one in the 98 LX470.  It's great.  Looks factory, except from the wrong century.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/18 12:11 a.m.

I just installed a Pioneer AVH-201EX in the 2011 Dodge caravan I just bought from Tuna to replace a dead blaupunkt that came with the van.  I got it from Crutchfield for $200 and hooked it up with a factory backup camera.  It comes with an external mic.  Android and iPhone auto is $100 more (301EX?), but I was okay with just having the phone visible for nav.

Bluetooth calling and streaming was great for our recent 4 hour vacation drive. The interface is clean and simple and install was pretty painless except for mounting and routing the baxkup camera.

I've been very happy with it, and I'm always happy with Crutchfield.. I called them on Sunday when a Chrysler interface module that Tuna bought two years ago failed to work with this new unit, and they had me a replacement on Tuesday for cost.  And the guy was apologetic that he couldn't do it for free.  You can't beat that!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1T7RHUOKQO1Bophm1B2Ns5Ep42IwiPzBVVc7nQsNHLXJvosIEgDn6unhXx7227JL