1 2
aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
1/14/11 5:49 a.m.

"Q about GRM's least favorite Jeeps"

I thought the Patriot would be everyone's least favourite Jeep?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/14/11 5:58 a.m.

my 2.5 carb'd XJ is awesome! So far, im the only one to successfully get out and back into the iced neighborhood.

Oh, if anyone has the fuel injected mani with MAF off a later Wrangler, can i buy it?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/14/11 6:02 a.m.

The worst thing about a 4cyl wrangler has nothing to do with it's off road ability. It's the fact that it hits an aero wall at 55-60 mph. That's it's top speed. Done. You might as well put the damn flashers on if you want to drive down the interstate with it.

Since you said commuter, that's why I vetod the 4 cyl wrangler.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 8:49 a.m.

That's fair enough and it would probably make getting to some of the area we want to explore a little tiring. It'll be fine for the commute, despite it being 25 miles each way, as the fastest I can go on those roads is 55 for a very short stretch and 45 otherwise. Clearly I wouldn't break the speed limit, officer .

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/14/11 9:23 a.m.

I bought our XJ for $600. Find one that needs cooling system work. They seem really common around here. As long as you haven't popped the head gasket, you'll be fine, and the cooling system is cake to work on.

To be fair, this XJ needed the rear freeze plug replaced. I did have to pull the trans out, but it was one of the easiest transmission jobs I've ever done. I keep kicking myself for dragging out the repair for so long.

If you're willing to travel, XJs are dirt cheap in this area. I know I'm well over half way across the country, but nice mid 90's XJs are in the $1500-$2000 range.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/cto/2155955080.html - $1500 with a bad freeze plug

http://cfl.craigslist.org/cto/2135951804.html - Needs a bumper corner and a corner marker light, $2000

http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/2150095874.html - Older, but looks particularly clean - $1500

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/2155869217.html - $800 for an '89

There are deals to be had, but you'll have to get away from snow to get one.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
1/14/11 9:38 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: "Q about GRM's least favorite Jeeps" I thought the Patriot would be everyone's least favourite Jeep?

not recognized by jeep people as a jeep - otherwise it would be at the top of the list as least loved jeep.

BoxheadTim
1/14/11 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Derick Freese:

Yeah, we noticed that they are much cheaper in FL - Ann was living there for a while a few years ago (she originally from FL and her parents still live there). The question is if it's worth spending the time to drag one almost to the other coast.

My other concern with XJs is that at least Ann's really doesn't like towing, which has me thinking that a GC might be a slightly better choice.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 10:02 a.m.

Janel's V8 WJ did a good job of towing the Locost. Never tried a Miata. It's got the tow rating for it, I just don't know how it would behave.

BoxheadTim
1/14/11 10:05 a.m.

Better than an XJ, I'd guess...

Cotton
Cotton Dork
1/14/11 10:06 a.m.

My friends 95 GC is a little better at towing than our 99, but mine is lifted. Both have the 4.0. I'd think a GC with a v8 would be even better. I tow my dirtbikes on a 5x8 and, in an emergency, towed an AC VW on a tow dolly with the XJ. It does fine in those situations......any larger loads and I use the 1/2 ton suburban on the cummins dually.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/14/11 10:54 a.m.

I guess it depends on the load you're hauling. I'm pretty okay with the measly towing capacity of an XJ. I don't tow cars too often because I don't have the trailer for it. When I need to tow anything heavier, I can steal my dad's Ridgeline.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
1/14/11 10:54 a.m.

My bro-in-law has an 2001 GC Laredo with a 4.0L with Selec-Trac, and I love that thing. It has the full leather interior w/ heated seats and Infinity sound system. He has never had any problems with that thing. Then again, he drives it like an old lady.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/14/11 11:05 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

From what I've seen, unless you're stupid offroad, you're not going to break thing any more than the elderly couple that bought a Jeep so it can be flat towed.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
1/14/11 12:25 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I guess it depends on the load you're hauling. I'm pretty okay with the measly towing capacity of an XJ. I don't tow cars too often because I don't have the trailer for it. When I need to tow anything heavier, I can steal my dad's Ridgeline.

XJ and Ridgeline have the same 5k towing capacity. The Ridgeline handles the load better because it's a larger/heavier vehicle, but over 5k and you're no longer legal.

The 4.0 GC is also 5k, but the v8s and diesels are higher.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
1/14/11 1:23 p.m.

You need one of these:

See? It can carry the whole family in the snow!

BoxheadTim
1/14/11 1:56 p.m.

Heh.

It looks like the local independent shop has tracked down the issue on the truck (cable break in the wiring harness) so the urgency has gone out of this slightly.

I'll probably still be shopping for another Jeep, but a little later in the year.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 3:13 p.m.
Cotton wrote: My friends 95 GC is a little better at towing than our 99, but mine is lifted. Both have the 4.0. I'd think a GC with a v8 would be even better. I tow my dirtbikes on a 5x8 and, in an emergency, towed an AC VW on a tow dolly with the XJ. It does fine in those situations......any larger loads and I use the 1/2 ton suburban on the cummins dually.

The GC wouldn't have any trouble with the weight, it's just the wheelbase and basic towing dynamics I'd wonder about. I used my 2000 Tundra to tow the Miata in an enclosed trailer all over North America and it's got a similar power rating I believe. But a longer wheelbase.

I don't have a brake controller on the GC so I'm not really in a position to try the heavier load. Pretty soft suspension, I'd want bags in the rear.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PipvkA9kZb03zAxGHQjWBXS9hfnRqQYagH2hMRlQNt94FbeBNdXhcczBYgni1GAC