1 2 3
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/8/16 6:46 a.m.

Well, the kids named her and kept me totally out of the loop. The name is Joy. I has disappoint.
Oh well, they are happy.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/8/16 7:12 a.m.

My daughter named the cat treasure. I still call it bob.

STM317
STM317 Reader
6/8/16 7:35 a.m.

Why even bother naming cats? They just ignore you when you call their name anyway

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/8/16 8:25 a.m.

^^This^^

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard Intern, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/8/16 9:47 a.m.

I was about to turn five when I named our cat. She's Sara Star Suddard. Apparently I liked alliteration

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/8/16 10:53 a.m.

We've got a couple of cats that started with an official name and ended up not being called by that name at all. Instead, they get called by some aspect of their butts. The one christened Scarlet is now called "Tiny" for her narrow ass. The other was christened Yvette after a favorite relative and is called a number of names, including "Fuzzbutt." So if we ever get another, we're not going to name it until it names itself.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/8/16 11:40 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: My daughter named the cat treasure. I still call it bob.

This little kitten was dumped at my house by it's mom last week. It's current name is Bob for an obvious reason it was born with. Although Bob really likes it here it can't stay. Anyone in S.FL looking for a cute kitten is welcome to give Bob a new home and new name it if they so choose.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/20160608_122019_zpsdra6ycxk.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/20160608_122139_001_zpszkaewmy9.jpg.html][/URL]

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
6/8/16 12:10 p.m.

Do dogs and cats grok the abstract concept of having a name, or do they just think their name is a catch-all word meaning "get over here" or "stop doing that?"

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/8/16 2:17 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Do dogs and cats grok the abstract concept of having a name, or do they just think their name is a catch-all word meaning "get over here" or "stop doing that?"

If you define "name" as a unique identifier sound that they recognize as referring to them alone, then I think yes. Beyond that, it is hard to know how they respond. I just know that one animal won't respond to the other's name, and that the one being called usually takes it as "come here, Fuzzbutt."

84FSP
84FSP Dork
6/8/16 2:44 p.m.

Bob Costas Galore?

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
6/8/16 4:12 p.m.

Welp, if it ever wakes you up with a false fire alarm, you should just re-name it E36M3head.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
6/8/16 5:19 p.m.

This is our barn cat "pork chop" trying to get into the butterfly net.

photo 2493463D-DA71-4153-B742-C052DA67B8E0_zpskllgezey.jpg

The kids call her Kiley

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
6/8/16 6:13 p.m.

I met a guy years ago whose dog was named "Dee-Oh-Gee" so a cat would be "See-Ay-Tee" ,I guess.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/16 8:31 p.m.
Woody wrote: Alytic Converter.

Wait... wait... a whole page and you guys missed this? This is brilliant.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/16 8:37 p.m.

I was at a pick-a-part one day (many moons ago) and found a kitten about 2 weeks old in the back of an old Aries. I left it for 20 minutes or so thinking maybe its mama was coming back for the last one, but no dice. He was pretty dehydrated so I took him to the vet and got him back to health. I named him Plymouth K. Car.

He's a berkeleying shiny happy person. He has no respect for the fact that I saved his sorry ass 7 years ago.

So I should have named him Slow Cooker instead, cause that's where I want him to go.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/8/16 8:49 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I was at a pick-a-part one day (many moons ago) and found a kitten about 2 weeks old in the back of an old Aries. I left it for 20 minutes or so thinking maybe its mama was coming back for the last one, but no dice. He was pretty dehydrated so I took him to the vet and got him back to health. I named him Plymouth K. Car. He's a berkeleying shiny happy person. He has no respect for the fact that I saved his sorry ass 7 years ago. So I should have named him Slow Cooker instead, cause that's where I want him to go.

I had one similar. Rescued out of a tree. Biggest dick on the planet. But, ive also discovered the bigger an shiny happy person the cat is, the more i like it. So, i didnt hate him.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pgn6zgQKBQPek3sdUKmCjpBG2BsPo6iymY1ddZ9vxCYHwawTWmXl7VkkyRZ5Cpbk