neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/12/09 9:56 p.m.

Staying off it is the hard part. Ok, back story, I was a cigar and pipe smoker for 3 1/2 years, I had quit 4 years ago but still ocassionally bummed a smoke off of friends when we hung out and they where smoking. That was till a year ago, so I have had NO nicotine or tobaco aside from second hand for a solid year now and now the nic fits are starting to really hit me hard. Really hard, I'm getting them in my dreams hard.

I was only a light smoker, rarely more than one cigar a day and often 2 weeks with out smoking, no problem. Never inhaled. The heaviest I would smoke was a pack of cigarillos in a week, back in collage.

Any advice. Tough it out, go back to smoking in moderation. good night

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
9/12/09 9:59 p.m.

Tough it out. I struggle with smoking all the time, but staying quit is the only way it gets better. Every little cheat makes it harder and harder.

bequietanddrive
bequietanddrive New Reader
9/12/09 10:32 p.m.

Get some snus. www.getsnus.com

pete240z
pete240z Dork
9/12/09 10:40 p.m.

tough it out. I quit 15+ years ago and it is the best thing for your health. And I too have those smoking dreams too.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
9/12/09 10:44 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Any advice. Tough it out, go back to smoking in moderation. good night

Tough it out. Every single time I've started smoking again was because I thought I could do it "in moderation".

wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/12/09 10:57 p.m.

tough it out.... don't wus out and ever bum another smoke .... ever....

I've been clean for 15 yrs , smoked for 27... 4 1/2 pks (camel non filter) a day while in VM.... then cut way back, cigs and pipe for the next 21 and quit while smoking 1 - 1 1/2 Marlboro / day.... my point ? if I can anyone can... it's something you'll fight every day of your life... but it does get easier the longer you go

keep it up

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/12/09 10:57 p.m.

“It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times.” -Mark Twain

mndsm
mndsm New Reader
9/12/09 11:03 p.m.

Bit of random scientific trivia....

The actual nicotene addiction is out of your system after 72 hours. After that, it's purely psychosematic. I quit once, and then some stuff happened, and started again... but let me tell you, the mindset that I was NOT addicted and it was all in my head was what made it easy for me.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/13/09 12:20 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Bit of random scientific trivia.... The actual nicotene addiction is out of your system after 72 hours. After that, it's purely psychosematic. I quit once, and then some stuff happened, and started again... but let me tell you, the mindset that I was NOT addicted and it was all in my head was what made it easy for me.

That same idea really worked for me as well. That, and I convinced myself only Bob Costas went back to smoking once they had quit. Been five years now, never slipped (though I have smoked 3 cigars, but I was never a cigar smoker) and I still miss it, nearly every day.

Joey

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
9/13/09 12:26 a.m.

Cancer: the guaranteed cure.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
9/13/09 12:55 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Death: the guaranteed cure.

Fixed that for you. My grandmother smoked 'til she died. She was actually holding one and getting ready to light it when she sat bolt upright in bed, then dropped back dead. Lung cancer. I still smoke about a pack a day. I really should quit myself.

friedgreencorrado
9/13/09 1:01 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Cancer: the guaranteed cure.

Aw, shove that. There's lots of "quality of life" stuff that will make you weep long before you have to worry about cancer.

My daughter asked me to teach her to surf a few years back..and I had to admit that I'm no longer capable of swimming in the ocean long enough to do it.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/09 1:07 a.m.
griffin729 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Death: the guaranteed cure.
Fixed that for you. My grandmother smoked 'til she died. She was actually holding one and getting ready to light it when she sat bolt upright in bed, then dropped back dead. Lung cancer. I still smoke about a pack a day. I really should quit myself.

My father's aunt was a Lucky smoker till she died. Toward the end she used to complain the oxygen used to make them burn to quick.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/13/09 8:58 a.m.

In answer to the thread starter, "Don't start"

Appleseed wrote: Cancer: the guaranteed cure.

Yet some even argue that there is any proof that smoking causes cancer, in this day and age that is denial at best, idiocy at worst.

I don't deny there are plenty of risks out there but why risk death from smoking, it is a habit and addiction not a endeavor that in any way enhances or improves life. I just don't get it at all.

Imagine being unable to be without a stupid pack of those things and a lighter 24/7.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/13/09 9:59 a.m.

Quit smoking? You quitters. My New Year's Resolution this year is to start smoking. Everybody is always all about quitting this, and quitting that. I'm going to try something new, dang it. So far, this year, I still haven't tried it. It's hard to start something new when you're as lazy as me.

My other resolution for 2009 was to gain 30 or 40 pounds. It's attainable and positive. But again, laziness.

I'm a failure.

friedgreencorrado
9/13/09 12:14 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Quit smoking? You quitters. My New Year's Resolution this year is to start smoking. Everybody is always all about quitting this, and quitting that. I'm going to try something new, dang it. So far, this year, I still haven't tried it. It's hard to start something new when you're as lazy as me. My other resolution for 2009 was to gain 30 or 40 pounds. It's attainable and positive. But again, laziness. I'm a failure.

I am still observing the resolution I made for New Year's 1998: never to make another New Year resolution.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/13/09 5:25 p.m.

Gum has been my friend the past few days... just as long As I dont watch the episode of TG where they have the IIRC, porsche pipes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGCgzrgjv24jXzAgkSE8GDfMEmZD0LRjs1zAmsBcY056bJiaxXzjeLoYFmrdvjhK