pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/16/20 1:54 a.m.
The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/16/20 8:14 a.m.

I need to go watch that movie again. It was so bad but so freaking good at the same time.

06HHR
06HHR Dork
1/16/20 8:50 a.m.

I personally believe it is the best live-action anime ever made.  Say what you want about the Wachowskis, but they got that one right..

This was 5 year old me's fever dreams.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/16/20 10:05 a.m.

I dismissed when it came out, and still haven't made time to watch it.  But, I'm more intrigued in it now, after watching this critique...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/16/20 10:31 a.m.

I have it on DVD. As a kid I used to come home from school and watch Speed Racer (cartoon version) and drink my 'Speed Racer drink'. Turns out that special drink my mom would give me was just Kool Aid. I loved it when MTV (I think) played the cartoons on TV in the 90's.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/16/20 10:33 a.m.

As much as I dig Racer X in cartoon form, I prefer the SHREDTACULAR band over the cartoon.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/16/20 4:51 p.m.

I started this about the music . I really like the the Big Black song Racer X. I watched speed racer cartoons as a kid and I do enjoy them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/20 7:47 p.m.

The movie is un-berkeleying-watchable. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

Good song! One that maybe hasn't aged as well but I still love:

Go Speed Go! by DJ Keoki. Uses a bunch of samples from the old Speed Racer cartoons.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/20 9:58 p.m.

Lets get serious. The original Speed Racer  by Aphex Twin. 90s techo goodness.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/20 10:21 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That's by Alpha Team, not Aphex Twin. I'd love to hear a Speed Racer song by Aphex Twin. I imagine it would melt some brain cells.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/20 12:27 a.m.

I thought that video was mislabeled. But, hell the last time I really listened to it was 30 years ago. Maybe they did the dirty re-mix.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/20 11:36 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

I dismissed when it came out, and still haven't made time to watch it.  But, I'm more intrigued in it now, after watching this critique...

I own it on DVD and might have to break it out this weekend.  I've always dug the movie, but then again I'm hardly an unbiased opinion.

When that movie came out, my then girlfriend and I went to go see it in threatres.  Afterwards she found some sort of online competition and entered me in it.  Had I been a finalist there would have been a (slot car) race that I would have participated in.  If I'm not mistaken, the winner got a mach-5 themed car.

So of course, I had to ask her to marry me. laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qkdVk12YxpxqwQnJ8y1rZQ7orruiEwsVRLZC2RNc6j6ThFDtOhTi7vFYw2UvbnDi